Starscream
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    255 times

Post Google Chrome Browser - Users Experiences - Pros/Cons/Truths/Fallacies

Not long ago last year near July, Google Chrome for Desktop (Windows) was the reason of killing your laptop's battery, which was mainly a battery drainage bug that was based on 'System Clock Tick Rate' working constantly in the background on your Windows OS. Google realized this bug late, last year after several reports which were ignored before. Google tried to fix or so they say fixing it still, there were alot of updates released for Google Chrome for Windows following the patches in January this year and two so far which I noticed in February too.

The issue stated,
    Google's Chrome Web Browser Is Killing Your Laptop Battery - Forbes

The fix it seems (thanks to Rickscheller for the link),
    Google Chrome Laptop Battery Killer Bug Is Fixed | Ulasan Review Cerita

Since seeing alot of posts here, where users are using it on the T100 Forums, and have issues with battery/memory/crashes/usage concerning them then switching to different browsers or other experiences. I will state for myself, when I say I use Google Chrome and have been using it since a very long time, and started using it on my T100 since I got it and have been doing it for alot of time on it too, I haven't had any troubles with major battery drainage/crashes/lag/other issues and such including playing flash videos which was perfectly fine too, haven't stopped using Chrome till date moreover it's reached version 40 in updates for Windows it seems. My experience thus far in using Google Chrome (Desktop) on my T100 Windows 8.1 (99% docked) and the reasons why I chose Chrome over others can be found below,

Google Chrome is your alternate web browser to Microsoft's Internet Explorer.

To download and Install Google Chrome,
    Chrome

You can read all about the Updates, Change-logs and so forth below,
    Chrome Releases

I used to use Internet Explorer alot, tried Firefox, Opera, Safari, but I found out/ended up with Chrome to be the better choice mainly for the following,

1. Google Profile
    2. Passwords synced on Google Servers not locally
    3. Bookmarks
    4. Extensions
    5. Search History
    6. Address History
    7. Themes
    8. Settings
    10. Synchronization between multiple Devices

I won't go ahead and say it's super fast and that's why I use it that's a different story, the above things are sorely the purpose why I use it. Now the best part about Chrome which I like, all of these stated above carry with your profile. Meaning you go ahead and install Chrome on any new machine, Sign-In with your Gmail account, and it will turn that very newly fresh installed browser in a couple of seconds to exactly how your last experience on your desktop/laptop was with all of the above synced and fetched from Google's Servers. It will bring all of them, including the extensions/settings. Hence you don't need to spend 15-30 mins or even more just configuring your new browser on any new machine, which you buy and so forth. You just keep adding on the existing stuff on what you have and they come along with you as you Sign-In. That's such a relief for alot of people including me having multiple machines, and the sync is so good, if I go and visit a website on my desktop and come back to my chrome on T100, the sync happened in the last minute, hence it gets added to my address history too. Same's the case with all of my devcies which use Chrome including Mobiles, Tablets, Desktops, and Laptops etc. There are other browsers who following similar practices which I have noticed or they are doing it already.

Using Chrome with your dock on your T100 and a wireless mouse (well I use it with a wireless mouse) , makes it appear as if i'm using it on my Desktop or a powerful laptop, the keyboard and the mouse work flawlessly and smoothly. I haven't had any issues with lag or such using the three altogether.

As far as Battery Life goes, I always almost have chrome open on my T100 with 5-6 tabs and minimized whenever I put the tablet to sleep (closing the lid), before I close the lid, I usually do Win Key + L to log out from the system and on the lock screen press the power button to turn the display off, I know this is a bit longer then simply closing the lid and let it turn the display off/lock automatically eventually putting it to sleep, but I have a habit of doing it. Alot of users have various different approaches/experiences. But I have firstly disabled background running under its settings, hence it doesn't keep running in the background when closed and so forth, to do that you would simply,

1. Go to Settings by pressing the 3 Ribbon Menu on the top right corner, 2015-02-09 23_57_34-Asus Transformer Book T100 Apps - Post New Thread.png

2015-02-09 23_57_55-.png

2. Scroll all the way down to 'Show Advanced Options'.

2015-02-09 23_58_40-Settings.png

3. Scroll down again to look for 'System' & Uncheck 'Continue running background apps when chrome is closed'.

2015-02-09 23_59_01-Settings.png

All other options, if I remember correctly are default, but I have 4 extensions installed (carried from my Desktop/Laptop profile sync) running and 2 of them are adblocks too. You should note significant change in its battery drainage after doing the above change.

Battery Performance, which I have noticed on my T100 with the latest updated Chrome,

Chrome minimized with 4 tabs: 0.2-0.6% every 2-4 hours it's random but very less,
    Chrome closed: No drainage by Chrome after turning off background apps
    T100 battery drainage with Chrome minimized and 4 tabs combined with all services/apps running: 1-2% (never hit two but i'll keep it there, always near 1 sometimes below depends) every 2-4.5 hours (again random but less)
    Overall T100 battery drain with Chrome: No major impact at all
    Is my T100's Battery physically perfect? No not at all, started off with major issues but I try to keep it under control

Ram Usage, well this is something which I hate from Chrome and expect it to be much lower in the future, it utilizes alot of RAM power in our T100, apart from practically much less CPU utilization at all, screens below although it makes sense why it does that for all it's extensions and notifications running while you are using chrome however it could be lesser, the most active tab you will note, will take the most RAM out of your system. Something which I noticed, if you open alot of tabs quickly, you will see that your T100 has pushed the RAM utilization to 75-80% RAM or slightly lesser, don't worry, if you start using only one of those tabs and open the next in a while, the RAM Usage comes down to 60-ish again, once their page loads/things settle, you can always see immediate impact upon closing tabs with RAM Usage reducing, but the T100 tries to manage it hence, don't be impatient, give it a little time to go back down, it does normally and then you continue where you left at, you can also disable any major extensions which are being used and are draining your RAM which you don't require by looking at the built in Task Manager of Chrome. It's a neat utility. My T100TA is 2GB/64GB - Z3775 Processor.

Chrome's built in Task Manager, here you can see which component of Chrome is using the most RAM, to access it,
    1. Open up the 3 Ribbon Menu on the top right corner, 2015-02-09 23_57_34-Asus Transformer Book T100 Apps - Post New Thread.png
    2. Scroll down to 'More Tools' & Task Manager or simply hold 'Shift + Esc' key on your Chrome window,

2015-02-10 00_25_45-Task Manager.png

Overall Usage, 10-12 Tabs Chrome Open with 4 Extensions running, Outlook, Word, Skype, Grooveshark running songs in the background, all normal services running, 68% RAM - 7-11% CPU Utilization (no strain on the CPU) at all with everything, still plenty of juice left in the tank for more,

2015-02-10 00_37_21-Task Manager.png

2015-02-10 00_35_32-Task Manager.png

Some General Tips to look for using Chrome on your T100:
    1. Always Use/Open less tabs, keep an eye on your RAM (any of the Task Managers both Chrome & Windows can help), the more it's filled the more slower Chrome/T100 becomes
    2. Make sure your profile is synced with your Gmail Account, that's what I like to do
    3. Sign into your Gmail account to sync the profile between other devices and keep you hassle free from doing everything manually
    4. If you see the 3 Ribbon Menu button lit up green, it means an update has been installed and requires you to restart Chrome
    5. Try not to load the Chrome on your T100 with alot of extensions 2-5 are fine, have a look at it's built in Task Manager for which is using most RAM
    6. Make sure Chrome is not running in the background when closed as explained above
    7. If the browser isn't performing well, see if you have at least '500 MB' of free space in your C Drive or free space at all, always restart Chrome to see if performance improves
    8. Make sure you're Chrome is updated to the latest version
    9. Before installing any extension, read the reviews User Opinion's on that extension to know even if it's safe
    10. To have a maximum battery life on your T100, make sure you close the browser before putting the device to sleep (Task Manager recommended)
    11. Try to clear its cache using CCleaner in some weeks/occasionally to keep things smooth
    12. For users who want to use it in Metro/Modern fashion as in how Metro IE works, go to 3 Ribbon menu & 'Relaunch Chrome in Windows 8 Mode'.
    13. For users who want to 'Make Chrome your default browser'
    14. If there is a constant battery drain with Chrome, do a 'Sleep Study' which helps diagnose what's draining your battery life while your system sleeps which I recommend, you can also run 'Battery Life Maximizer' which is a paid app, but you can run it's Trial, it'll give you an overview easily immediately too

Apart from the above, I have had no particular crashes/problems/battery issues much with using chrome on my T100TA. It is indeed a memory hog and eats up your RAM, but otherwise works/functions fine, till now and so far. This is not a thread to make you use Chrome on your T100, I am no expert on it by any means just a normal user, it's your choice, there are alot of other browsers out there, it's not the best it has it's Strengths & Weaknesses, whichever fit's your style go for it , this is more like a User Experience thread/discussion of using Google Chrome and anything related to it on your T100 where you can share. I would like people/users to start sharing their behavior/Issues/Pro's & Con's/experiences/dilemmas here using Chrome on their T100's so we can discuss them and see how our community of T100 users can benefit from it or help each other in doing so, seeing the rate/posts of Chrome users on the T100's lately, it was required to have a such a proper place to discuss the same.

I will keep updating this post, with anything major/changes/notices/tips as and when required.

Lastly, yes I did wrote this whole post using Chrome on my T100 with 8-9 tabs open !

for reading, hope it helps/explains some-bits to users using Chrome on their T100 . Safe browsing!
    Last edited by Caster; 02-10-2015 at 03:45 AM.
    Proud Owner of Asus 100TA-DK024H, Asus ROG G750JZ, Asus TF700
    Use it daily, I get around 9-10 or more hours per charge daily - Bios 313 - Please use search in the forums, and refer to Guides under every section they are very helpful!
    Forum Rules - Wifi was Working - Now Disconnected? - Wifi Tips & Tricks
    Z3775 Graphics Card Driver Update/Details/Processor Details (How Much Mhz/VRAM does it have!)
    Android Master Help Guide - T100 Master Help Guide

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    484 times
    Great post. I love chrome but decided against installing it first off on my t100.

Did you hear that Microsoft is developing it's own chrome like browser called project Spartan for windows 10. It's supposed to have a much lighter framework than IE and a faster development cycle like chrome.
    Caster likes this.
    *I apologize for any spelng mistakes. I frequently answer questions on my phone. The content is (usually) good, but the words may not be intelligible. If you cant understand my post... check back later or call me out on it.
    Tf300 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!_________Clean Install Windows 10 and Drivers______Tf700 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!

Android Master Help Guide
    ______
    T100 Master Help Guide_____ T100 FAQ Thread

Devices: Asus TF300t [Deceased], Asus t100TA -64GB, Google Nexus 6P

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    417 times
    Because of its well deserved negative reputation garnered from many users here, I've been a long time Chrome basher for use on the T100, more specifically battery operated PCs. Since a number of people choose to use Chrome on the T100 and since myself and others continue to discourage its use I thought it was time to revisit the use of Chrome on the T100. After a few personal messages with Caster, I found he is a long time satisfied Chrome browser user and together we did some research and found articles that stated that Google has recently resolved many of those issues.

So... Caster as a long time Chrome user, seemed liked a good candidate to discuss the Pros/Cons/Truths/Fallacies for the use of Chrome as a T100 browser, so I asked him to write this review and tips guide. Thanks so much Caster for this detailed write up.

Now, with Caster's experience and this guide, I'll no longer bash the use of Chrome on the T100.
    Caster likes this.
    Rick, loving my T100TA-C1-GR Z3740 64GB Win 10
    BIOS 314. All Windows updates except Bing. All Asus Live Updates. WIFI driver 5.93.99.210
    I get 8-12 hrs use per charge using SLEEP mode. Warning, NEVER calibrate the touchscreen.
    When posting for help, please include Your Model Particulars
    Casters T100 Master Help Guide

Starscream
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    255 times
    Gtanner00, yes Spartan is coming soon with Win 10 and so forth, it uses the new Edge layout engine from Trident and WebGL API for 2D & 3D graphics, competition, these days, all about the competition

Rick, couldn't have said it better, well put. Your idea/approach is great and will definitely help users of Chrome on T100 have a better understanding or at least see how it's working for some, seeing the details in it's entirety with the majority of users on T100 experiencing it.

Thanks again guys, and Rick especially
    rickscheller likes this.
    Use it daily, I get around 9-10 or more hours per charge daily - Bios 313 - Please use search in the forums, and refer to Guides under every section they are very helpful!
    Z3775 Graphics Card Driver Update/Details/Processor Details (How Much Mhz/VRAM does it have!)

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    2 times
    Can't seem to find anyone else with this issue, but from my experience when I use Chrome on my T100TAM the mouse dissappears. I can still see the mouse at the bottom of the screen on the task bar but I can't use it in the browser. If I switch and launch chrome in Windows 8 version the problem suddenly dissappears.
    Asus Transformer Book T100TAM-C1-GM 64gb Z3775

Starscream
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    255 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tale419 View Post
    Can't seem to find anyone else with this issue, but from my experience when I use Chrome on my T100TAM the mouse dissappears. I can still see the mouse at the bottom of the screen on the task bar but I can't use it in the browser. If I switch and launch chrome in Windows 8 version the problem suddenly dissappears.
    That's odd, haven't ran across such a problem yet, but try this and let's see if it helps,

Go to Chrome Settings > Settings > Advanced > Scroll down & Uncheck 'Use hardware acceleration when available'

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Caster View Post
    That's odd, haven't ran across such a problem yet, but try this and let's see if it helps,

Go to Chrome Settings > Settings > Advanced > Scroll down & Uncheck 'Use hardware acceleration when available'
    Sadly didn't seem to fix it. Thanks for the suggestion though!
    Asus Transformer Book T100TAM-C1-GM 64gb Z3775

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    417 times
    Chrome users beware... here's a thread that has found that Chrome cannot properly play some 60fps youtube videos.

60FPS Youtube?

IE has no problem.
    Last edited by rickscheller; 03-10-2015 at 11:35 AM.
    Caster and Swipe like this.
    Rick, loving my T100TA-C1-GR Z3740 64GB Win 10
    BIOS 314. All Windows updates except Bing. All Asus Live Updates. WIFI driver 5.93.99.210
    I get 8-12 hrs use per charge using SLEEP mode. Warning, NEVER calibrate the touchscreen.
    When posting for help, please include Your Model Particulars
    Casters T100 Master Help Guide

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TAM
    Liked
    10 times
    don't know if anyone's noticed this behavior in Google Chrome
    If ASUS SmartGesture is enabled, the horizontal scroll direction is inverted. I've got my trackpad set up like a tablet -- swipe up to scroll down, swipe left to scroll right. However, swiping left continues to scroll left! In any other app though, swiping left scrolls right -- which is how I've got SmartGesture set.

Interestingly, if I disable the SmartGesture's natural scroll direction, scrolling up and down is reverted to stock -- that is, sliding up scrolls up, and sliding down scrolls down. However, sliding left now scrolls right -- opposite again!.

Anyone know what this is about...and anyone know how to fix it?

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    484 times
    Quote Originally Posted by felixdd View Post
    don't know if anyone's noticed this behavior in Google Chrome
    If ASUS SmartGesture is enabled, the horizontal scroll direction is inverted. I've got my trackpad set up like a tablet -- swipe up to scroll down, swipe left to scroll right. However, swiping left continues to scroll left! In any other app though, swiping left scrolls right -- which is how I've got SmartGesture set.

Interestingly, if I disable the SmartGesture's natural scroll direction, scrolling up and down is reverted to stock -- that is, sliding up scrolls up, and sliding down scrolls down. However, sliding left now scrolls right -- opposite again!.

Anyone know what this is about...and anyone know how to fix it?
    Use the smart gesture application to change the two finger scroll direction.
    *I apologize for any spelng mistakes. I frequently answer questions on my phone. The content is (usually) good, but the words may not be intelligible. If you cant understand my post... check back later or call me out on it.
    Tf300 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!_________Clean Install Windows 10 and Drivers______Tf700 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!

Android Master Help Guide
    ______
    T100 Master Help Guide_____ T100 FAQ Thread

Devices: Asus TF300t [Deceased], Asus t100TA -64GB, Google Nexus 6P

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links