Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Microsoft does it again - Forced update and Office gone - Nice!

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    0 times

Microsoft does it again - Forced update and Office gone - Nice!

After not using my T100 for a bit, last night I had a sudden and important Skype call to make but upon bootup I got the 'We're going to update your system in 14 minutes and there's nothing you can do about it' message. So, I had to try to slam dunk the Skype call - which didn't work out well - and then the forced update took place and the machine rebooted - and, I am thrilled to find out that now all of my OFFICE 2013 apps are GONE. Perfect, thanks Microsoft!

So, I have two questions:

1) How do I forever disable the ability for Windows to force updates in this manner?

2) How do I get my Office 2013 Apps back? I read previous threads that seem to indicate removing and re-installing (they do still appear in the apps menu) - but they came preloaded on this device, there is no such media that I am aware of. Is there a way to reset the device back to it's original state?

Thanks for any help with this - without office this T100 is useless to me. ;-(

rscheller
    Go into Windows update settings and select either anything other than "automatically install updates". My choice is "download updates but let me choose whether to install them"... that way, when I'm notified there are updates, they're already downloaded and just waiting for me to have a convenient time to install them. Also, that way I control which updates get installed and if there's one I absolutely don't want... Broadcom wifi driver comes to mind... I can ignore and hide that update.

Do you have the MSOffice icon? What happens when you click on the MSOffice icon? Do you get a screen that asks to install, purchase, register? If so, select register and enter your product registration number from the card you got with your T100. That should get you going again?
    Last edited by rscheller; 07-16-2014 at 07:19 AM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi and thank you. I just realized I am probably asking more Windows questions than T100 questions, sorry - I am coming from a Mac environment and this is my first Windows based tablet device but I keep forgetting that Windows and the device itself are technically separate when it comes to problems like this. Regarding Windows itself, this is the THIRD update that has caused me problems now, though the first to actually remove programs! It has not been a good experience.

Ok so I will locate the 'update settings' and will choose the option you mentioned, thanks for that.

As for Office, I don't see that icon, where should it be? All I see left of Office is in the 'Apps by category', where it lists: Excel, Language Prefs, Upload Center, Onenote, Powerpoint, Send to Onenote and Word. Clicking any of these produces an error. For example, clicking Excel says the shortcut destination does not exist, and clicking Language Prefs gives an error and says 'c2r32.dll' is missing.

:-(

rscheller
    Sorry you're having these problems but once you get these issues sorted out, I'd expect you to have a great experience with your T100. My 10 months of having mine has been great although there were a few early on bumps.

I'm away from my T100 right now, so I'm unable to give you "hands on" suggestions but I'd start by restarting your T100 and see if that resolves it.

If not, we can start digging deeper.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi, thanks - yes, I did a shutdown/restart right away to no avail - and I did also contact Asus support through which I am registered, however have not yet seen a response (aside from the confirmation that I contacted them).

I'm told a full restore could be an option but I have a number of apps I've installed/updated/configured, etc. - so it would be nice if I could just get Office back somehow. If some kind of card came with it that included the Office registration number then I presume that is still in the box - is there a way to restart the installation/registration of Office without the icon you are referring to?

rscheller
    The T100 comes with an installer for Office Home & Student 2013... the individual Office programs are not "already installed".

When you run the Office installer there are three options on the first screen with one option being register and install, then you'll enter the product registration number on the card in the box, then Word, Excel, Powerpoint, etc., are installed and the installer is automatically removed.

I believe you can go to the MS website and download that installer and run the install and registration again which should fix your issue.

Yes... here it is, http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/pr...103427465.aspx
    Last edited by rscheller; 07-16-2014 at 06:10 PM.
    Swipe likes this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    9 times
    csoyo, did you use explorer and look under program files /microsoft office to see if the the programs are there? If a schortcut does not point to the correct location ( office executable ) because of an update the new executable itself may still be there. If that is the case you could repair the shortcuts by rightclicking on the program and' add to start'.
    __________________________________________________ __________
    If only things worked right out-of-the-box ..
    Long time EeePC 901 owner, now replaced with T100 32G
    fyi 'Noorderling' translates as 'Northerner'

Check touchpad enhancement to make your touchpad function better!
    __________________________________________________ ______________________________

rscheller
    @noorderling... I like your signature... "If only things worked right out-of-the-box .."

If that were true, there would be ever so much less activity in these forums.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    1 times
    I am having the same problem. I downloaded the Office 2013 installer and uninstalled Office 2013. The program is no longer listed under Programs and Features, but the old office files are still on the OS drive. Is this going to cause a problem when I try to install Office again and take-up more space?

UPDATE: I found a fix...It is at support.microsoft.com/kb/2739501.
    Last edited by rmscholbe; 07-17-2014 at 07:03 PM. Reason: Found a fix for files not being removed during uninstall.
    SamInPgh likes this.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    501 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rmscholbe View Post
    I am having the same problem. I downloaded the Office 2013 installer and uninstalled Office 2013. The program is no longer listed under Programs and Features, but the old office files are still on the OS drive. Is this going to cause a problem when I try to install Office again and take-up more space?
    Do you mean files that you have created? Like documents? If so..no it is not a problem

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links