Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Microsoft does it again - Forced update and Office gone - Nice!

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    1 times
    No, I meant the Office program files. I found a fix and edited my post to reflect that.

rscheller
    UPDATE: I found a fix...It is at support.microsoft.com/kb/2739501
    This is the most ridiculous convoluted procedure I've come across from a company at the level of Microsoft. And all to simply uninstall a program suite. Seriously Microsoft? And you sit in your boardrooms and question why Android has become as popular as it is. This is no way to sell an OS. How about writing an uninstaller that does all this for the user... SHHEEEEESSSSSSHHHHHHH!!!

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    4 times
    90% of people can use Libre office.

rscheller
    There's also Open Office and Google Docs but I find Open Office is no where near compatible with MS Office and Google Docs will work in a pinch but it's best "in my world" to use one standard.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rscheller View Post
    The T100 comes with an installer for Office Home & Student 2013... the individual Office programs are not "already installed".

When you run the Office installer there are three options on the first screen with one option being register and install, then you'll enter the product registration number on the card in the box, then Word, Excel, Powerpoint, etc., are installed and the installer is automatically removed.

I believe you can go to the MS website and download that installer and run the install and registration again which should fix your issue.

Yes... here it is, http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/pr...103427465.aspx
    Hi thanks - I am remembering now that it did need to be installed - and I did find the office reg card that came with the unit, so going to give that a shot first, thanks again for your help. Also happened to notice a message further past yours about a fix - hopefully I won't need to do that ;-/ tx
    Last edited by csoyo; 07-21-2014 at 11:13 AM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by noorderling View Post
    csoyo, did you use explorer and look under program files /microsoft office to see if the the programs are there? If a schortcut does not point to the correct location ( office executable ) because of an update the new executable itself may still be there. If that is the case you could repair the shortcuts by rightclicking on the program and' add to start'.
    Thanks for the reply - yeah, just a smattering of files remain - none of the executables, etc. - clearly something failed midstream. At least out of this I have now disabled the forced update - I understand the importance of updates on a PC and will be diligent with it - but to force it by default? If anything, put a big red message on the lower right, or keep popping up nags - or have it as an option that one needs to select during installation - but "this is going to happen in 14 minutes and absolutely nothing you can do about it" is going too far IMO. I know it's my fault ultimately, but I would imagine I'm not the only person who put it off a couple of times then got bit right in the middle of a presentation or similar... and then to have programs fail on top of it - never experienced any of that on a Mac, ever.
    Last edited by csoyo; 07-21-2014 at 11:19 AM.

rscheller
    Quote Originally Posted by csoyo View Post
    Hi thanks - I am remembering now that it did need to be installed - and I did find the office reg card that came with the unit, so going to give that a shot first, thanks again for your help. Also happened to notice a message further past yours about a fix - hopefully I won't need to do that ;-/ tx
    Yea, hopefully you won't have to do that! That's a mess.

I'd perhaps start here if it becomes necessary. How to uninstall Office 2013 or Office 365 or here http://www.thewindowsclub.com/uninst...ffice-2013-365
    Last edited by rscheller; 07-21-2014 at 11:32 AM.

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    163 times
    Quote Originally Posted by csoyo View Post
    I know it's my fault ultimately, but I would imagine I'm not the only person who put it off a couple of times then got bit right in the middle of a presentation or similar... and then to have programs fail on top of it - never experienced any of that on a Mac, ever.
    Unfortunately, that's probably were a lot of your frustrations come from currently. I don't want to get into one of those Mac vs. PC discussions, there's plenty of those already. It basically boils down to familiarity and not that one is better than the other. As you stated you previously owned a Mac and that's were all your expectations and familiarity reside. The problem with OS developers such as Microsoft and Apple, they take the development path of trying to make things easier for the general user, but in doing so they often shoot you in the foot at the same time. Most everyone that comes from a Windows familiarity background have already gotten annoyed with the OS automatically downloading and installing updates on its own and often forcing you to reboot, which always seems to happen when you're in the middle of performing a mission critical task. So most of us have already gotten in the habit within the 1st week of owning a new Windows device to turn the automatic updates off and select one of the other 2 options, so we take things like you ran into for granite.

If I was you, I would do a full system restore, and not bother with mucking around trying to fix things. It's probably easier to re-install whatever previous apps you had installed than working your way through the other process, just to avoid having to re-install a few apps. Chances are if Office got mucked up, then there's a good chance something else might have as well and you just haven't noticed it yet.

Reboot, restore, perform Windows updates, turn off automatic update in settings, re-install your apps......then look into creating image backups with software tools such as Macrium Reflex, so you don't have to go through that process ever again.

P.S. I really wish I could go back to iOS6 on my iPhone. I originally thought, I just needed to get used to iOS7 but 6 months later I'm still struggling finding ish I need in iOS7 which seemed so simple in iOS6.
    Last edited by Rednroll; 07-25-2014 at 08:25 AM.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rednroll View Post
    Unfortunately, that's probably were a lot of your frustrations come from currently. I don't want to get into one of those Mac vs. PC discussions, there's plenty of those already. It basically boils down to familiarity and not that one is better than the other. As you stated you previously owned a Mac and that's were all your expectations and familiarity reside. The problem with OS developers such as Microsoft and Apple, they take the development path of trying to make things easier for the general user, but in doing so they often shoot you in the foot at the same time. Most everyone that comes from a Windows familiarity background have already gotten annoyed with the OS automatically downloading and installing updates on its own and often forcing you to reboot, which always seems to happen when you're in the middle of performing a mission critical task. So most of us have already gotten in the habit within the 1st week of owning a new Windows device to turn the automatic updates off and select one of the other 2 options, so we take things like you ran into for granite.

If I was you, I would do a full system restore, and not bother with mucking around trying to fix things. It's probably easier to re-install whatever previous apps you had installed than working your way through the other process, just to avoid having to re-install a few apps. Chances are if Office got mucked up, then there's a good chance something else might have as well and you just haven't noticed it yet.

Reboot, restore, perform Windows updates, turn off automatic update in settings, re-install your apps......then look into creating image backups with software tools such as Macrium Reflex, so you don't have to go through that process ever again.

P.S. I really wish I could go back to iOS6 on my iPhone. I originally thought, I just needed to get used to iOS7 but 6 months later I'm still struggling finding ish I need in iOS7 which seemed so simple in iOS6.
    I don't mind iOS7 on my iPhone 5, but on my wife's iPhone 4s, it made things slow and unstable. It is still generally usable, but not so great. On her iPad 2 though, it is just HORRIBLE. I'll grant, some of that is perception when I switch from using my T100 to using her iPad 2, but I know there is some fact behind it as I had an iPad 2 still for about a month after I got my T100 and I had left iOS6 on it, as I didn't want to upgrade it. My wife had upgraded to iOS7 and there was a noticable difference in performance in pretty much all tasks between our iPads.

I'd rate a lot of functions, like opening browser tabs, launching an app, etc at maybe an 8 on my T100 (call it a 10 on my desktop/laptop), around a 7 on my iPhone 5, a 6 on my old iPad 2 with iOS6, a 3 on my wife's old iPad 2 with iOS7.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links