Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100HA
    Liked
    2 times

After failed Remix OS install, T100HA thinks it's a T100TA?!

After a FAILED Remix OS for PC attempt on my Asus Transformer Book T100HA, I did not uninstall it (yeah there were no uninstall instructions provided) and decided to clean install Windows 10. Formatted all accessable partitions (Windows installation replaces them there) and after boot, my typical SOC driver was not installing. I JUST realized that when clicking through the setup, it now shows "Intel Drivers for Z3700" instead of "Z8500" or "x5". The drivers are correct, they are from Asus' website and they are for the T100HA guaranteed. JUST TO BE CERTAIN, I even grabbed the same file from my flash drive that I used back when I first purchased it since I wanted to clear out all of the Asus bloatware, and it does the same thing. I assume the driver package auto detects your device and chooses the proper ones when needed (depending on your device, which is silly). I also believe that since the T100TA is a more common subject for Android installations, and Remix OS has partnered with "Android x86" (which does include drivers for the T100TA in their Android ISOs), the device may have had something changed in the UEFI or boot to make it believe it is a TA.

I cannot find any possible solutions as this is beyond anything I have ever encountered on a Windows device. What do I have to change to get it back into realizing it's through an identity crisis?

I believe something that Remix OS tosses in the UEFI (or wherever the GRUB bootloader is tossed) may still be lurking behind the scenes...
    Last edited by rickscheller; 05-12-2016 at 06:38 AM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100HA
    Liked
    2 times
    Anybody? I have accident coverage on it, and it IS covered, but I really don't want to waste it on something that can be fixed more easier than a hardware problem.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    419 times
    Cross, you're running on the bleeding edge of experimenting. There is some info here regarding user experiences with Remix OS but most folks I'd suspect are quite hesitant to go into the unknown.

Any success with alternative OS for the T100HA?

Remix OS [Alpha, booted and working fine]

Remix OS

remix os
    Rick, loving my T100TA-C1-GR Z3740 64GB Win 10
    BIOS 314. All Windows updates except Bing. All Asus Live Updates. WIFI driver 5.93.99.210
    I get 8-12 hrs use per charge using SLEEP mode. Warning, NEVER calibrate the touchscreen.
    When posting for help, please include Your Model Particulars
    Casters T100 Master Help Guide

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100HA
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rickscheller View Post
    Cross, you're running on the bleeding edge of experimenting. There is some info here regarding user experiences with Remix OS but most folks I'd suspect are quite hesitant to go into the unknown.

Any success with alternative OS for the T100HA?

Remix OS [Alpha, booted and working fine]

Remix OS

remix os
    Thanks. Yeah thats exactly what I wanted to do, experiment. It was easy on the T100TA but seems there are many issues with compatibility and perhaps even changes in security on the T100HA.

The depressing part is that these devices aren't like Android where we can make nandroid backups before attempting to modify. My question is, what may have changed when I installed Remix OS that is now making the drivers want to install as if it had a Z3775 instead of its Z8500. I know something in ths booting process is still wrong as it seems to briefly display a black screen for like a millisecond and then show the Asus logo, something that never happened before.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    419 times
    Have you tried getting help at the Remix OS website or the XDA developers website?
    Rick, loving my T100TA-C1-GR Z3740 64GB Win 10
    BIOS 314. All Windows updates except Bing. All Asus Live Updates. WIFI driver 5.93.99.210
    I get 8-12 hrs use per charge using SLEEP mode. Warning, NEVER calibrate the touchscreen.
    When posting for help, please include Your Model Particulars
    Casters T100 Master Help Guide

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100HA
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rickscheller View Post
    Have you tried getting help at the Remix OS website or the XDA developers website?
    I had considered it, but then I realized that the majority of the cases are faliure in drivers, features and compatibility, not something related to PC issues. Even the Remix OS PC section they have present in the Google community relates only to issues within their OS or trying to boot their OS. My particular dilemma is more unique and strays from other's common issues due to the fact that what I am experiencing has more to do with damaging/modifying Windows related partitions, files, etc.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TAM
    Liked
    71 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Cross View Post
    ... it now shows "Intel Drivers for Z3700" instead of "Z8500" or "x5". The drivers are correct, they are from Asus' website and they are for the T100HA guaranteed....
    No guarantee with anything from Asus, especially when it comes to the T100HA. Someone else on this forum downloaded the latest BIOS update for the HA & it bricked it.
    The latest SOC version is V103 dated 2016/02/29; after the date it says "update". 216MB download.

BTW, BIOS 214 requires SOC V103. If you have an earlier BIOS, use V102.
    https://www.asus.com/2-in-1-PCs/ASUS...Desk_Download/

I think most of the issues with the T100HA stem from it using s different cpu-series from all the other T100's.
    Asus Transformer T100TAM-C1-GM, Atom Z3775, 2GB-RAM, 64GB eMMC, Win8.1-32 updated to Win10-32
    ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- Drivers and Download T100TAM

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100HA
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket_Scientist View Post
    No guarantee with anything from Asus, especially when it comes to the T100HA. Someone else on this forum downloaded the latest BIOS update for the HA & it bricked it.
    The latest SOC version is V103 dated 2016/02/29; after the date it says "update". 216MB download.

BTW, BIOS 214 requires SOC V103. If you have an earlier BIOS, use V102.
    https://www.asus.com/2-in-1-PCs/ASUS...Desk_Download/

I think most of the issues with the T100HA stem from it using s different cpu-series from all the other T100's.
    Yeah I had read that using the "EasyFlash" within the BIOS itself tends to brick it, which is why when I did mine i did it with the software they provide. The last BIOS fixed the issue where the screen would stay black after boot sometimes, which is why I updated to it.

As for the SOC drivers, I think they may have integrated both the one for the Z3700 and the one for the Z8500 in the same package out of pure laziness. I thought perhaps maybe the website perhaps accidentally provided the wrong drivers, but I used the ones I downloaded before and was surprised to see that it also says Z3700 now. Not normal to see a software package change, and any other drivers for the x5 Z8500 says either that I do not have ths minimum requirements or that I need to download them from my manufacturer.

Its chaos, and Remix OS still has not responded on the matter (and possibly will not as I was warned in their automated email reply. To make matters worse, this device has issues when the drivers are not installed (the screen is stuck in portrait mode, no touch and if yoy don't keep touching the trackpad, it will freeze on you and you have to force restart).

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100HA
    Liked
    2 times
    IMG_20160510_200029_HDR.jpg

And YES, correct drivers. Weird and ridiculous.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100HA
    Liked
    2 times
    The situation has gotten more tense (and serious) since now Micro Center is REFUSING to honor their Accidental Protection Plan, stating that since this is a software related issue that I caused, it is NOT covered by the plan (note I contacted my particular store and their live chat support to make sure that it is covered). I think I was better off running over it with the forklift at work, that way they'd have to take it. Their "expert technicians" don't even know where to begin to fix it and suggestion I contact and send it to Asus. Asus' warranty policy clearly explains agains a bit over unauthorized modifications voiding it, but I am unsure if trying to install Android counts (should).

Possibly looking at a $300 paperweight. I don't invest on a device that has not been with me for less than 6 months.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links