Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Any success with alternative OS for the T100HA?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100HA
    Liked
    1 times

Question Any success with alternative OS for the T100HA?

Hi,

I just got a Asus Transformer Book T100HA 4GB/128GB. On my previous netbook (that's how I want to use it), the EEE PC 900A I had FreeBSD installed. On this one I would prefer to install PC-BSD. First I did a resize of the windows partition, because I would like to keep that and use dual boot. For the other OS I tried PC-BSD, both version 10.2 and the november-Current. Furthermore I tried FreeBSD 10.2 and Linux Mint Mate. All of those tries ended very early.

Has anyone succeeded in installing any kind of alternative OS on this new T100 HA?

Next one I would try is some ArchLinux...

Thanks
    Claus
    pierro78 likes this.

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2825 times
    Welcome to the forum

We don't have anything more on the T100ha and alternate OS. You might be the one who blazes the trail.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100HA
    Liked
    0 times

A live session...

Quote Originally Posted by Sir View Post
    Hi,

I just got a Asus Transformer Book T100HA 4GB/128GB. On my previous netbook (that's how I want to use it), the EEE PC 900A I had FreeBSD installed. On this one I would prefer to install PC-BSD. First I did a resize of the windows partition, because I would like to keep that and use dual boot. For the other OS I tried PC-BSD, both version 10.2 and the november-Current. Furthermore I tried FreeBSD 10.2 and Linux Mint Mate. All of those tries ended very early.

Has anyone succeeded in installing any kind of alternative OS on this new T100 HA?

Next one I would try is some ArchLinux...

Thanks
    Claus
    Hey, sorry for my bad english, i'm french user...

I just bought an Asus Transformer Book T100HA.
    At the moment, I managed to boot Ubuntu on a live session. When I arrive on Grub, I press key "e" over "try without Installing" and I replace "Splatch" with "nomodeset". Then I press F10.

I have a live session, but it's very uncomfortable ...

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100HA
    Liked
    1 times
    Hi,

thanx for welcoming me here.

I tried further to install some alternative OS, this time writing down more seriously what kind of problems happened. Still, no chance to get further with any version of PC-BSD.
    I got a little further with FreeBSD. Versions 9.3 and 10.2 don't start to install at all, but the 11.0-Current does. However, I have problems with the keyboard. Not the usual ones due to a german keyboard, but problems with Ctrl, Shift and some normal keys like 2, 3 and m.
    Nonetheless I wanted to continue to install. But the system recognised only the USB stick as a partition to install on it. So I was forced to stop. I will ask at the FreeBSD forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloox View Post
    When I arrive on Grub, I press key "e" over "try without Installing" and I replace "Splatch" with "nomodeset".
    Thank you, Baloox. Following your advive, nomodeset did help me, too. But I did not try the live system, I want to do the install. And there I got the message, that X could not start, because screen(s) were found, but could not be configuered. Did you get that, too? Which version and flavour of Ubuntu area you using? And why do you use live system only, any additional problems once you try to install?

I hope to proceed further this weekend.

Greetings
    Claus

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100HA
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi Claus,

I'm french user ,you can test it :
    Ubuntu (or other Linux) on the Asus Transformer Book T100 | John Wells
    This part work :

In the GRUB menu, highlight “Try Ubuntu”, and press “e” to edit it. In the editing screen, scroll down to the command line options, where it says “quiet splash”. Delete “splash” and replace it with:
    video=VGA-1:1368x768e reboot=pci,force

but after, the display is ok, but not terminal work, is difficult to restart machine...
    I hope, is correct for you.
    Chris

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100HA
    Liked
    0 times
    Hey krystian52

I test the John Wells tuto with "video=VGA-1:1368x768e reboot=pci,force" and the result is the same.

I think it's maybe possible to test ubuntu installation with the Live session, with the "Install Ubuntu" icon on the desktop.
    But, my asus isn't at home today... I can't try this :/
    Last edited by Baloox; 12-06-2015 at 08:45 AM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100HA
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Baloox View Post
    Hey krystian52

I test the John Wells tuto with "video=VGA-1:1368x768e reboot=pci,force" and the result is the same.

I think it's maybe possible to test ubuntu installation with the Live session, with the "Install Ubuntu" icon on the desktop.
    But, my asus isn't at home today... I can't try this :/
    Hi,

I tried "video=VGA-1:1368x768e reboot=pci,force", as well as just the video-parameter, as well as 1280x800 instead of 1368x768, with and without nomodeset. The only thing that helps (to start at all) is nomodeset. The other options have no effect at all. So I always have the wrong rotation of the screen. Furthermore I do not have WiFi. Nonetheless I tried to do the install (of Lubuntu 15.10, to be precise). When the last screen apears (saying something like "installation is nearly finished") it takes forever. I had to go to bed, and the next morning there was a pop-up stating that the installation crashed, and that information about that is sent over to the developers. That of course does not work due to lack of WiFi.
    As a downside of this install, I now have an additional entry in the BIOS boot options called ubuntu. Unfortunately it does not work (of course).

Baloox, did you try the install in the meantime, too? And what are your drawbacks in the live system? The same, or does maybe WiFi work for you?
    Last edited by Sir; 12-09-2015 at 02:46 PM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100HA
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi,

i use Debian testing and the installation works fine. After install you have to add "nomodeset" and "fbcon=rotate:3" to the grub command line. For X you have to create a xorg.conf with driver=fbdev and you also need a option for rotate the screen. WiFi and Sound does not work at this time, i use an USB-WiFi Dongle to get web access.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100HA
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by lightsource View Post
    you have to add "nomodeset" and "fbcon=rotate:3" to the grub command line. For X you have to create a xorg.conf with driver=fbdev and you also need a option for rotate the screen.
    "fbcon=rotate:3" works for Lubuntu, too. However, as you basically mentioned, it only works for the messages while booting. Once it arrives at X it's again with the wrong rotation. Any idea, if I can add the driver for X in the grub menu, too?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100HA
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir View Post
    "fbcon=rotate:3" works for Lubuntu, too. However, as you basically mentioned, it only works for the messages while booting. Once it arrives at X it's again with the wrong rotation. Any idea, if I can add the driver for X in the grub menu, too?
    as i wrote in the previous post, you must create a xorg.conf and save it under /etc/X11

a minimal xorg.conf like this will be enough

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Configured Video Device"
    Driver "fbdev"
    Option "UseFBDev" "true"
    Option "Rotate" "CCW"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Default Screen"
    Monitor "Configured Monitor"
    DefaultDepth 24
    SubSection "Display"