Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    0 times

[SOLVED]I (deleted?) my windows 8 boot (manager?) with a grub when I installed androi

So here's my problem: I wanted to run android on my T100 that already had win 8.1 installed. I used easus partition manager and shrunk C so I could create an 8gb partition (ext3) for android. Android installed fine, but then all I could do was boot to android. Great, but I cannot get to windows 8. So then I (using the same magic stick) installed Ununtu on my 8gb partition (where android was) and it now runs fine, but its boot manager still did not recognize windows 8. I can see the multiple partitions when I boot to Ubuntu and could retrieve my files. Also the Recovery partition is intact (right??) but I cannot figure out how to boot to it. The million dollar question is how can I implement a boot manager that recognizes windows 8 (preferably my current install) and an installation of android? I can get to the bios by pressing f2 and can boot from my current install of Ubuntu as well as my magic stick with Ubunu/android.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for wading through all that. I hope I was clear. Thanks again.
    PS Is this the right place for this question?

So I was thinking.... Can I find an instillation .iso that I can write to a flash drive, install windows 8.1, and then somehow install android with a boot manager that sees both os's? Can I rewrite the boot manager for Windows 8? Can I use the recovery partition to recover windows? Am I stuck with Ubuntu?

Not pestering there, just what's going through my head as I'm typing all this. Again, any help would be enormously appreciated.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    484 times
    I can't really give you a suggestion to get you 100% of what you want but I have a suggestion that will fix this muck up and get you back to Windows 8.

Use the procedure and media creation tool linked in this article http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/...f-windows-8-1/ to create a USB windows install drive (you are probably quite familiar with the process already) and run it from the boot manager . That is assuming you can still access it by holding esc. at the same as you boot up. The install tool will let you choose a partition to install Windows on. This then subsequently create 3 new partitions for the purpose of recovery and system files. Or if you prefer you have the option to format existing partitions and combine them.

Hopefully with that, you will have the ability to work around everything else on your system.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    *I apologize for any spelng mistakes. I frequently answer questions on my phone. The content is (usually) good, but the words may not be intelligible. If you cant understand my post... check back later or call me out on it.
    Tf300 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!_________Clean Install Windows 10 and Drivers______Tf700 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!

Android Master Help Guide
    ______
    T100 Master Help Guide_____ T100 FAQ Thread

Devices: Asus TF300t [Deceased], Asus t100TA -64GB, Google Nexus 6P

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks you! I'll try that download next time I'm at the library. Will it work with a 32 bit uefi?
    I have a 64 bit .iso of windows 8.1, but that won't work like being able to install any copy of windows 7 (home, premium, etc) from a windows 7 disk, right? Because it's not 32 bit.

Thanks for the assist.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    484 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Martial View Post
    Thanks you! I'll try that download next time I'm at the library. Will it work with a 32 bit uefi?
    I have a 64 bit .iso of windows 8.1, but that won't work like being able to install any copy of windows 7 (home, premium, etc) from a windows 7 disk, right? Because it's not 32 bit.

Thanks for the assist.
    I believe the windows 8 media creation tool is intended for generating OEM ISOs of Windows 8 which have the info for both 32 and 64.
    I myself have tried installing from my own 32bit iso which works as well. I don't think your 64 one will work though.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    *I apologize for any spelng mistakes. I frequently answer questions on my phone. The content is (usually) good, but the words may not be intelligible. If you cant understand my post... check back later or call me out on it.
    Tf300 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!_________Clean Install Windows 10 and Drivers______Tf700 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!

Android Master Help Guide
    ______
    T100 Master Help Guide_____ T100 FAQ Thread

Devices: Asus TF300t [Deceased], Asus t100TA -64GB, Google Nexus 6P

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    501 times
    Just yesterday I helped my son remove Ubuntu from his dual boot Win 8 pc so he could update to Win 10 (he wanted the space). Of course he didn't have a Win8 CD either but he did have a Win 7 CD so we have it a shot and were successful in restoring his windows 8 boot manager. This is my go to walk through for removing Linux partitions. You want to scroll to the 'Restore MBR' part as the other parts don't apply here. We used the Windows 7 install disk and selected repair then it said this version not compatible...blah blah... We hit OK and then got the options shown for command prompt. Ran the 2 commands and voilą back to booting to windows. Since you have a copy of a Win 8 ISO this might work for you as well. Just remember that it is proceed at your own risk and we take no responsibility for any loss.
    makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-safely-uninstall-ubuntu-in-windows-dual-boot-environment/

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by frenziedfemale View Post
    Just yesterday I helped my son remove Ubuntu from his dual boot Win 8 pc so he could update to Win 10 (he wanted the space). Of course he didn't have a Win8 CD either but he did have a Win 7 CD so we have it a shot and were successful in restoring his windows 8 boot manager. This is my go to walk through for removing Linux partitions. You want to scroll to the 'Restore MBR' part as the other parts don't apply here. We used the Windows 7 install disk and selected repair then it said this version not compatible...blah blah... We hit OK and then got the options shown for command prompt. Ran the 2 commands and voilą back to booting to windows. Since you have a copy of a Win 8 ISO this might work for you as well. Just remember that it is proceed at your own risk and we take no responsibility for any loss.
    makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-safely-uninstall-ubuntu-in-windows-dual-boot-environment/
    Thanks for the advice, as I would really rather restore the boot partition. The Uefi on my T100 is extremely finicky, even through the boot override option. (which, of course, is the only option I have now.) It would flash the screen away, then right back to the menu, like when I try "Windows Boot Manager".

I guess I'll have to wait until next time I'm at the library to download a 32 bit version of windows 8 that's uefi compatible and reinstall windows, deleting all the partitions. (and recreating the backup partition etc...)

Then does anyone have any ideas about installing android without disturbing the windows 8 boot manager? I think I remember telling the install (for android) to overwrite something to "grub". I'll try not doing that next time. Or do I need to try BCD in windows?
    Anyway that's not important until I get windows to work. The T100's sorta my ultra-portable/backup when I'm playing with my dell/loaner/toy...you get the idea.

My objective for now is to run windows on all but a 8gb partition for android. If anyone pulled it off, would you drop me a line? Or some hints?
    Thanks so much for everyone's replies. I really appreciate the help.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    0 times
    Just to clarify: I need something to boot from that supports a 32 bit uefi (already been suggested; the complete reinstall). Or can I run a utility or something from Ubuntu? (it works!)

Another question: Since I installed Ubuntu on the 8gb partition, why does its boot manager not see windows? Why does the the eufi have an option "Windows Boot Manager" that doesn't work (like my 64 bit win 8.1 disk)? -(thanks for the suggestion though!)

Is there a boot manager I could place (from Ubuntu) that would recognize Windows then Android when I install it over Ubuntu? Surely something like BCD exists for linux....Right? Or am I way out on that? -Just some thoughts I had today.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    0 times

Cool I got it WORKING!

So I followed your advice and re-installed windows. Thankfully the key was still there (I didn't know if I'd deleted it) and everything worked. I also reinstalled android, from my magic stick, added a GRUB 2 bootloader, but did not format the boot section. I booted into windows and used easy uefi to add the GRUB 2 entry in the sequence. I had to navigate to its location and select it. I just now installed Ubuntu on the 8 gb recovery partition, partly because I couldn't use it when I needed it, partly because I wanted an intermediary OS between Windows and Android, and partly because I now have a Windows 8 .iso on a flash drive. Everything works, and now I have the Android tablet I wanted. (Its powerful!)

Thanks to everyone for their help!

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    0 times
    Should I mark this as solved? If so, how can I?

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2826 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Martial View Post
    Should I mark this as solved? If so, how can I?
    Done ....

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links