• 2 Post By Caster

Thread: T100TA, annoying "choose OS" menu and factory reset problem

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    0 times

Question How can I boot T100TA from a UEFI-incompatible USB stick?

This thread was earlier titled as "T100TA, annoying "choose OS" menu and factory reset problem" and I changed it to better describe my current situation.

Please jump to the message below.

My adventure with T100TA begun three days ago. I already posted a message here, but decided to post a new thread with the full story. I got my 2-in-1 laptop and booted it up. Very normal routine, it begun with Windows installation. After the installation I played around a bit and then decided to install a clean Windows.

I had my USB stick already ready, so I restarted the T100TA with F2 pressed and chose Boot override -> USB-stick. I wanted to be able to recover the original Windows image of Asus, so I deleted only the Drive 1 Partition 4, then clicked New and then Next. Not sure if I formatted it before "Next", but soon a clean installation of Windows was in front of me. After installing some drivers I got the T100TA fully working.

Later I wanted to boot to live Linux USB stick. So, again F2, Boot override, but this time nothing happened. Screen just flashed black and got back to bios. After that I tried many kinds of things in bios. Boot -> Windows boot manager -> disabled, Security -> Secure boot support -> disabled... And every now and then saved the changes, booted to Windows, restarted, tried to boot from USB stick. Nothing seemed to work so I loaded the optimized bios defaults, saved and tried to boot Windows.

Hmm, that's strange, "automatic repair, "diagnosing you PC" etc. The T100TA didn't boot to Windows anymore. I always ended up to the light blue menu system, with options like refresh and recovery etc. Anything I chose I ended up looking an error or missing file or booting back to this menu system. So I thought I'll reset the T100TA to factory defaults. I only overwrited the Drive 1 Partition 4 and left the other partitions untouched earlier. But, no, no luck this time either.

I still had the clean Windows USB stick, so I thought it would it be easiest to just install clean Windows one more time. F2, bios, boot override and once again I deleted Drive 1 partition 4 and installed the clean Windows. It works, but now I'm getting a "Choose an operating system" menu every time I boot. If I boot the one on volume 4, it works. If I boot the second one, I end up into the light blue menu system.

My questions:

How can I get this "Choose an operating system" menu away and make the T100TA boot straight into volume4?

Am I still able to reset the T100TA to factory defaults and install the Asus Windows version from recovery drive? How?

Am I able to boot to live Linux USB stick? How?
    Last edited by chier; 06-16-2015 at 03:19 PM.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    484 times
    It might just be that the uefi and bios on the t100 can only support 4 partitions.

In my personal opinion, it seems like you were happy with the clean windows 8 installation. You could just format and merge all 4 partitions (some of which may have become corrupt) and reinstall 8 again. Then perhaps you need to prepare. We partitions within windows ahead of time (using paragon or similar) for the Linux boot.
    *I apologize for any spelng mistakes. I frequently answer questions on my phone. The content is (usually) good, but the words may not be intelligible. If you cant understand my post... check back later or call me out on it.
    Tf300 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!_________Clean Install Windows 10 and Drivers______Tf700 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!

Android Master Help Guide
    ______
    T100 Master Help Guide_____ T100 FAQ Thread

Devices: Asus TF300t [Deceased], Asus t100TA -64GB, Google Nexus 6P

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Gtanner00 View Post
    It might just be that the uefi and bios on the t100 can only support 4 partitions.
    Thanks for your reply! Hmm, I don't think so: see the earlier photo, there's five partitions.

In my personal opinion, it seems like you were happy with the clean windows 8 installation. You could just format and merge all 4 partitions (some of which may have become corrupt) and reinstall 8 again.
    This would solve my first question, yes. But I really wouldn't want to erase the Asus factory reset partition. I think it's mandatory to have the original recovery available, in case I sell or donate my T100TA to somebody.

Then perhaps you need to prepare. We partitions within windows ahead of time (using paragon or similar) for the Linux boot.
    Can you fine down this a bit, please. My English is not that good. Please notice, that I have no intention to install Linux to eMMC of T100TA, but use live Linux USB stick.
    Last edited by chier; 06-08-2015 at 04:17 PM.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    484 times
    sure. I am on my PC now and can type out a better explanation.

Although I cannot tell why you got into this current situation, I still think that if you are ok with it, it would be a good idea to again clear everything out. This of course will free up quite a bit of space on your tablet as well. Let me explain.

You might be familiar with reinstalling windows on older systems. Perhaps you have access to your own keys you use when you do a clean install. However, microsoft has changed the way it loads windows keys on OEM computers. Instead of the product key being stored in a recovery partition or on a sticker, it is permanently embedded into the BIOS. For example I am running windows 10 on my t100 and completely cleared out the old windows 8 partitions. I could still go back and install the 100% OEM product license if I wanted to.

take a look at the procedure here Save yourself from your OEM?s bad decisions with a clean install of Windows 8.1 | Ars Technica Once you have the operating system loaded, it will have a new recovery partition (although it will be smaller because there will be no bloatware) You will want to use the ASUS support site to download any drivers or utility programs that originally came with the t100. The ATK package, chipset, and touchpad driver are recommended.

I know it seems counter intuitive to completely delete the whole thing including the previous recovery but in your situation you have too many partitions which makes it hard to tell what is for what.

When you want to mess around with linux, you can use a program called Paragon or something similar to create and size extra partitions before you boot your usb. that way you can choose the file type (ext4 FAT etc.) and name it something recognizable.

Hope that helps you out a little. The article I linked is also very good.
    Caster likes this.
    *I apologize for any spelng mistakes. I frequently answer questions on my phone. The content is (usually) good, but the words may not be intelligible. If you cant understand my post... check back later or call me out on it.
    Tf300 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!_________Clean Install Windows 10 and Drivers______Tf700 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!

______

Starscream
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    255 times
    I agree with GT on going with a Clean installation and getting rid of all the partitions and starting afresh, however if you wanna go down the road of making it as simple as possible and the 'Startup OS Selector' is only your issue and it's annoyance, Right Click Start Button > System > Advanced System Settings (on the top left) > Advanced > Startup and Recovery.

Choose the appropriate OS from the list, and uncheck the 'Time to Display list of operating systems' > Apply and Reboot, the OS Selector won't appear, you're set.

After this look for the secondary OS installed location, and you can further simply delete it completely from it's whereabouts if you don't wish to revert at all or you don't need it anymore.

Reading your post, I am assuming you want to use the clean installed one which works? Correct and that is Volume 4? If yes, when you reset, it should ask for a recovery usb, the one you made and you should have no trouble resetting it back. If you can't enter any of the OSes and are stuck in a boot-loop, then definitely you might wanna go with GT's route and do a clean installation getting rid of any of the partitions along the way.
    Gtanner00 likes this.
    Proud Owner of Asus 100TA-DK024H, Asus ROG G750JZ, Asus TF700
    Use it daily, I get around 9-10 or more hours per charge daily - Bios 313 - Please use search in the forums, and refer to Guides under every section they are very helpful!
    Forum Rules - Wifi was Working - Now Disconnected? - Wifi Tips & Tricks
    Z3775 Graphics Card Driver Update/Details/Processor Details (How Much Mhz/VRAM does it have!)
    Android Master Help Guide - T100 Master Help Guide

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    0 times
    Instead of the product key being stored in a recovery partition or on a sticker, it is permanently embedded into the BIOS.
    Yeah, that's very handy.

I'm absolutely up for deleting every partition and install clean Windows. But let me better explain my point behind the thought, that some day I may sell my new T100TA to somebody else. I live in a region, where T100TA comes with five installed languages to choose from. When a T100TA that is bought from my region boots up the very first time, the very first screen is for language selection. That's the language of Windows that will install itself next. With a clean Windows install I'll lose that. It's not important for me - I always install English Windows for my own use - but if I keep in mind the possible next owner.

I'll check that Paragon, thanks. I guess I was able to boot the Windows installation usb stick from F2 -> boot override because I made the stick uefi compatible. But is that why my old live Linux usb stick doesn't boot via F2 -> boot override?

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    484 times
    It took me a while of thinking to really understand your scenario. I guess if you were to use a USB with iso to install Windows 8.1 (which you have done) you choose the language before the installation has occurred. Meaning the
    USB has to be in while you do this.

Now let's say you decided to sell/ give your t100 to someone else and it only had this clean installed version of Windows on it. First you would use the built in option to do a total reset of the operating system. It
    would then reboot and show the same setup windows as you would have gone through before, without the presence of a an external media.

I guess the question now would be, does the new user only have the choice of English in this situation or is the setup process smart enough to download a new language pack if you choose one? I'm sure someone could tell us.

A similar question is whether the OEM windows would behave the same. I makes sense to me that on the first startup, all languages it used by the installation are removed. Either that or again the setup dialogue is able to pull them off the Internet.

To muddy the waters even further, we have Windows 10 close to release. I am running the preview now and when go I to the language settings I am presented with a nice program to add new language packs. I guess the worst case scenario would be setting up first in English and then changing the language with an update handled by the system.

______

Starscream
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    255 times
    Quote Originally Posted by chier View Post
    Yeah, that's very handy.

I'm absolutely up for deleting every partition and install clean Windows. But let me better explain my point behind the thought, that some day I may sell my new T100TA to somebody else. I live in a region, where T100TA comes with five installed languages to choose from. When a T100TA that is bought from my region boots up the very first time, the very first screen is for language selection. That's the language of Windows that will install itself next. With a clean Windows install I'll lose that. It's not important for me - I always install English Windows for my own use - but if I keep in mind the possible next owner.

I'll check that Paragon, thanks. I guess I was able to boot the Windows installation usb stick from F2 -> boot override because I made the stick uefi compatible. But is that why my old live Linux usb stick doesn't boot via F2 -> boot override?
    Display/Input Languages can easily be changed, you can go to 'Right Click Start > Control > Languages> Add Language' Download the pack if required, and see if all those languages are present which you first saw, which I am sure they will be, it might just require some additional downloads.

Here's some more Step-by-Step detail guide on how to change the Display Language/Input in Windows 8.1. There's two methods one from the Metro Settings second from the Control Panel. You can forward this link to any new buyer in advance or you can try and add all those first time setup languages yourself when you clean install the System, either way however you may seem fit.

Windows 8.1 - How to change the language settings

All the best & Goodluck !
    Last edited by Caster; 06-10-2015 at 11:55 AM.
    rickscheller and Gtanner00 like this.
    Proud Owner of Asus 100TA-DK024H, Asus ROG G750JZ, Asus TF700
    Use it daily, I get around 9-10 or more hours per charge daily - Bios 313 - Please use search in the forums, and refer to Guides under every section they are very helpful!
    Forum Rules - Wifi was Working - Now Disconnected? - Wifi Tips & Tricks
    Z3775 Graphics Card Driver Update/Details/Processor Details (How Much Mhz/VRAM does it have!)
    Android Master Help Guide - T100 Master Help Guide

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    0 times
    I guess if you were to use a USB with iso to install Windows 8.1 (which you have done) you choose the language before the installation has occurred. Meaning the USB has to be in while you do this.
    I use Windows Media Creation Tool to download an ISO. Only one language can be selected, out of many. When installing, the language can be chosen, but there will be only one: the same that was chosen before downloading the ISO.

A similar question is whether the OEM windows would behave the same. I makes sense to me that on the first startup, all languages it used by the installation are removed. Either that or again the setup dialogue is able to pull them off the Internet.
    I've always thought that the OEM language options are all already ready to be installed.

Quote Originally Posted by Caster View Post
    Display/Input Languages can easily be changed, you can go to 'Right Click Start > Control > Languages> Add Language' Download the pack if required, and see if all those languages are present which you first saw, which I am sure they will be, it might just require some additional downloads.
    Wow! I knew this, but I always thought this is possible only with Windows 8.x Pro version. Thanks, I think this the eligble solutions. Not the perfect one, but I can always tell the possible new owner to fetch a language pack :P

I'll get back to this thread, if something'll come up with live Linux usb booting.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    0 times
    Okay, back with the live Linux usb booting problem. It seems that Paragon have made several softwares and I'm assuming the one Gtanner00 mentioned is Paragon Partition Manager 15.

As far as I understand, this software can for example shrink the current Windows partition and this way make space for an additional partition, where Linux can be installed. I've always used Gparted for this, it's good to know about alternatives.

But my use of Linux will be solely on live usb stick. I don't need the eMMC to be partitioned, because I'm not installing anything. Live Linux usb stick doesn't write anything on eMMC, so I just need to have my T100TA to boot from usb stick. I guess I was able to boot the Windows installation usb stick from F2 -> boot override because I made the stick uefi compatible. But is that why my old live Linux usb stick doesn't boot via F2 -> boot override? How can I get T100TA boot from my live Linux usb stick?

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links