Thread: Linux T100 Q&A

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    3 times

Linux T100 Q&A

And here is the stickied Q&A, places to ask quick questions, like 'why isn't this part working' and 'how do I get scripts to work?'

I'm thinking we can just have a rolling conversation, rather then a clutter of short threads, but I can be convinced otherwise...

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2825 times
    Thanks for the idea for these threads Jason, & for encouraging more folks to join us here on our very friendly forum.

Welcome to all new members. Can I please draw your attention to our Forum Guidelines (linked in my signature below) & also ask that you ensure that any & all links to other sites are only to reputable, trustworthy locations and not to other T100 forums unless they are appropriate such as Microsoft, XDA, Ubuntu Forum (or any other official Linux distro forum).

Thanks all & good luck with your endeavours.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Arp
    Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times
    Ok, so I guess I am starting here since I dont really like google plus

I managed to boot the daily build of ubuntu 14.10 from a usb stick. But I noticed something weird. The little light next to camera was always on after ubuntu booted. I dont know if this light has any other purpose. But if the light is only on if the camera is on, this makes me a bit uncomfortable ... Maybe it behaves correctly ones ubuntu is installed, but for the moment its strange ...

Second thing: Is there a way to burn the ubuntu iso to a usb stick and put this boot32ia.efi file (or whatever its name is) onto the stick in linux? Because I just dont manage to do this. The resulting filesystem on the stick is ISO9960, which just does not support write operations. I just can not mount the drive in a writable mode. It works in windows 7, but I would very like to do this completely in linux.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    10 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Arp View Post
    The little light next to camera was always on after ubuntu booted.
    Word I read (I believe in the G+ group) is that this is a bug. But, the easiest way to make sure you're not being spied on is to cover the camera area and optionally the LED next to it with a piece of black electrical tape. Wouldn't be the first time I've seen it done. Note to those who are really paranoid, this wouldn't hinder the device from recording audio if it was indeed spying on you. Sleep well!

Quote Originally Posted by Arp View Post
    Second thing: Is there a way to burn the ubuntu iso to a usb stick and put this boot32ia.efi file (or whatever its name is) onto the stick in linux? Because I just dont manage to do this. The resulting filesystem on the stick is ISO9960, which just does not support write operations. I just can not mount the drive in a writable mode. It works in windows 7, but I would very like to do this completely in linux.
    Hmm... I know I had accessed various paths of the thumb drive after booting from it, haven't tried doing so after creating it natively on an Ubuntu system. But of course you can't boot off of it on the T100 if you haven't already put the boot32ia.efi file on there... old chicken and egg dilemma. I had set my drive up in either UUI or YUMI under Windows. Although now thinking about it this may have been during my attempt to boot off one thumb drive and actually install to another. Different than a "live" USB stick. Next time I'm playing around with it (no promises as to when that will be though) I'll keep your question in mind.

And to bring one of my questions from the G+ group over into here... thoughts on how to do a minimal install (grub, /boot, etc.) to the internal eMMC but then have the remainder be running on the MicroSD card? The card slot doesn't show up in UEFI as a bootable device. If memory serves Ubuntu also doesn't recognize it as any sort of /dev/sdX disk. I suspect in Ubuntu at least some of the OS needs to be loaded before there is sufficient capability to access it. Trying to get a "installed" version of Ubuntu on my T100 with as little modification as possible to the already cramped Windows install on my 32GB version.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times
    There is a lot of talk around the web about Linux on the T100 using a USB Drive but I am wondering about another way. I had another laptop which eventually gave up on me, hard drive went south, backlight went, the final straw was the keys started to come off. I used a small widescreen tv with hdmi access with an external hard drive until the keys started coming off.

I purchased the T100 & wondered if I could somehow boot my linux on the external hard drive using the T100? I have booted successfully using another laptop by simply attaching the external drive to it & changing the bios setting to boot from this drive first but the T100 bios is obviously different. Does anyone know if this could be possible?

Thanks for any help & advice also thanks for a great forum. There's loads of useful info in here!

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T200
    Liked
    7 times

Thumbs up With a GRUMBLE and a GRIPE!

Unbuntu 14.10 (Utopic Unicorn) will boot quite nicely and even install... But I'll be darned if I can figure out how to get the grub to install, I "Wonder" if it might have to do with this?

two.png

This is the only place I have been able to "See" this 4.2 MB drive, and if you look at the device paths highlighted at the top, there are three distinct, two of which are "read only" and end with boot0 or boot1 ... It also has the same drive ID as the SEM64G (mmcblk0) as another caveat, if you use this version, and use Rufus? Allow Rufus to update files (it will, so let it) and if you have the original SEM64G drive, it will boot in no time, but if you have the cruddy hynix drive? It will boot, but it "may" take a really long time (really really), eventually it will, and will "figure" out so future boots wont take so long... But it still will not install...

No matter what I have tried to do, even if the install completes without any errors, it will not boot (grub simply doesn't get installed anywhere) I have even wiped the entire drive and let the install set it up the way it wanted to (it set up EFI system partition and buffers and everything...) and still it will not, I get the grub failed to install into /target/ error or no error, but no boot menu...

Everything works beautifully with a few exceptions (WiFi wont work till you connect and install new stuff but I dont have a dongle to connect with an ethernet line) its fast as heck... and will even let you install on an SDXC card, though it will not install grub :P

I am going to keep at it... Here's a system shot...

three.png

P.S. I even tried to install it stand alone on a 16GB pendrive (which I have done many times) and made sure to mark it as the boot device, and still got the same error <shakes head>
    Last edited by i2McAbre; 10-21-2014 at 01:38 PM. Reason: grammar due to type jumping

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links