Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Android as second operation system?

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book
    Liked
    31 times
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Ab5traktion View Post
    Try this out. It's not exactly a dual boot, but it is a way to get Android running on the T100TA. It will take up 8gb of hardware space. I got it to work. Just follow the directions.
    Well yes. There are a number of ways to get Android running under emulation or vitalization. VirtualBox, Bluestacks, and others. They can work for less intensive applications, but they're not nearly as good as a native Android device. Visualization requires a lot of memory, one thing the T100 doesn't have.

What's missing is the ability to run Android natively on this processor. Over a year ago, Intel announced that the T100's Bay Trail would be targeted for use in Android devices. That Intel didn't show a single Bay Trail Android device at CES suggests they have seriously missed their own milestone.

As for the work at XDA, it's commendable but not likely to see a usable reward until Intel release their customizations. At this point, that's looking some months away. When they do, it might be possible to have a functional, fast, dual-boot Android device with the T100. It's quite unlikely to happen before then.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    27 times
    Yes, what I think when I use a Windows 8 device is "Hmmmm, this could do with another user interface."

Bay Trail has been demoed running Android plenty times in the past, but I believe the driver support was somewhat behind Windows. It would be the first commercial Android tablet using Intel GMA HD series graphics as opposed to the PowerVR core in previous Atoms, so I imagine that is a large chunk of the issue.
    ASUS Transformer Book T100 videos
    T100 Gameplay and Performance Videos

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Android 4.X
    Liked
    0 times
    I'm using Bluestacks as well. Just need to figure out how to use the touchscreen. Mouse works ok.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    51 times
    God I hope not.

If Microsoft has a brain in it's head, it will be fighting these unholy Android-Windows Frankencomputers tooth and nail. All that serves to do is completely undermine the entire metro/modern UI environment. The whole point of it is for light duty, quick info at a glance etc.

Throwing Android on Windows devices will just give lazy developers another excuse not to bring their apps to Metro/Modern UI first of all. Second of all, it's just an abomination. What is the point of needlessly complicating a device by throwing two entirely different OS's on one device. It makes zero sense. The two will never interact seamlessly. Gee did I make that note on the Android part or the Windows part?

If you want to see Windows 8 continue to get kneecapped and trashed by critics for having no apps for Metro, go right ahead and push for this.

Android is buggy junk anyway (I've had 6 Android devices to prove it to me, yes I've used Jelly Bean, Yes I've had a Nexus device. No, I don't want to try your wonder ROM of the week)

If I were Microsoft, I'd expressly prohibit it. Want a Windows license? Then your device can ship with Windows. No Android on a second little screen or in some tacky pre-boot menu.

Android is direct competition to Windows Phone and Windows on tablets and it is a threat. Microsoft should be every barrier in it's way they can.
    Jldiamond1 likes this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times

I almost agree with you...

Quote Originally Posted by SocialCarpet View Post
    God I hope not.

If Microsoft has a brain in it's head, it will be fighting these unholy Android-Windows Frankencomputers tooth and nail. All that serves to do is completely undermine the entire metro/modern UI environment. The whole point of it is for light duty, quick info at a glance etc.

Throwing Android on Windows devices will just give lazy developers another excuse not to bring their apps to Metro/Modern UI first of all. Second of all, it's just an abomination. What is the point of needlessly complicating a device by throwing two entirely different OS's on one device. It makes zero sense. The two will never interact seamlessly. Gee did I make that note on the Android part or the Windows part?

If you want to see Windows 8 continue to get kneecapped and trashed by critics for having no apps for Metro, go right ahead and push for this.

Android is buggy junk anyway (I've had 6 Android devices to prove it to me, yes I've used Jelly Bean, Yes I've had a Nexus device. No, I don't want to try your wonder ROM of the week)

If I were Microsoft, I'd expressly prohibit it. Want a Windows license? Then your device can ship with Windows. No Android on a second little screen or in some tacky pre-boot menu.

Android is direct competition to Windows Phone and Windows on tablets and it is a threat. Microsoft should be every barrier in it's way they can.
    Almost, Android is certainly not buggy junk though. And perhaps something you may be overlooking, Microsoft is no longer in the position of power it once was. Need an example? See CES 2014, MS is almost completely irrelevant there. They may be satisfied with selling any amount of licenses they can.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    5 times
    Android is far from "buggy junk" these days IMO. In fact, for many tasks I far prefer my android devices over win 8.1. I have two asus transformer tabs/docks (TF101 and TF300) and they both work well. The 101 is not used much anymore, but the 300 is used extensively. For many things android on the tf300 is faster and better IMO than the T100 (that I am typing this post on). I find web browsing to be generally faster and easier on the TF300 with Dolphin for example. Emails are easier, especially multiple accounts via apps like Maildroid on android. I have about a dozen different GPS and backcountry mapping apps in my phone (Note 3) and TF300. Hard to get so many options and get them running as quickly on a windows device IMHO. Anyway, enough examples - for me, I would LOVE to have a true dual boot android/win 8 baytrail. I plan on getting the announced asus duet, but if android was able to be used on the T100 then I wouldn't need the duet. As of now I use Bluestacks on my t100 and it does work, but like others have said anything very intensive and it's just too slow. It's an emulator, I would want the actual OS working on the baytrail the T100 has.
    sando7 likes this.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    27 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SocialCarpet View Post
    Throwing Android on Windows devices will just give lazy developers another excuse not to bring their apps to Metro/Modern UI first of all.
    I don't think it is really down to 'lazy' developers, its down to developers who can do cost/benefit analysis. It simply isn't worth their time for the volume they'll likely sell.
    ASUS Transformer Book T100 videos
    T100 Gameplay and Performance Videos

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    13 times
    Intel has 64 bits for Android - X86 of course | TechEye
    It looks like 64-bit Android could reach tablets first. Intel said 64-bit Android tablets powered by its Atom processor code-named Bay Trail will become available in the first half of this year.
    Now we have to wait for the first Bay Trail device with Android and let the XDA guys do their work :P

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    22 times
    Quote Originally Posted by teegunn View Post
    Android is far from "buggy junk" these days IMO. In fact, for many tasks I far prefer my android devices over win 8.1. I have two asus transformer tabs/docks (TF101 and TF300) and they both work well. The 101 is not used much anymore, but the 300 is used extensively. For many things android on the tf300 is faster and better IMO than the T100 (that I am typing this post on). I find web browsing to be generally faster and easier on the TF300 with Dolphin for example. Emails are easier, especially multiple accounts via apps like Maildroid on android. I have about a dozen different GPS and backcountry mapping apps in my phone (Note 3) and TF300. Hard to get so many options and get them running as quickly on a windows device IMHO. Anyway, enough examples - for me, I would LOVE to have a true dual boot android/win 8 baytrail. I plan on getting the announced asus duet, but if android was able to be used on the T100 then I wouldn't need the duet. As of now I use Bluestacks on my t100 and it does work, but like others have said anything very intensive and it's just too slow. It's an emulator, I would want the actual OS working on the baytrail the T100 has.
    Agree, as far as a Mobile OS, android is light years ahead of Win8. I bought the T100 for 2 reasons...first, I didn't have any other Win8 devices and it was a cheap toy to play around with Win8.1 and see what all the fuss was about, and second my company blocked all Outlook web access so I could no longer get my company email on my android phone, so I wanted a mobile device with full blown Outlook. Don't get me wrong, I like the T100, but my android smartphone is about a hundred times more useful and less "buggy". And let's face it, the Win8 app store is a joke. Even what few apps they do have are far inferior to the android counterparts.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    11 times
    i dislike how android gets slow pretty quick on phones once you install a few apps.
    the apps seem to bring more junk along with them than ios apps are able to.
    haven't been able to try android 4.4 though, i'm still on 4.2.2.

i don't want android on the T100,
    but being able to boot ubuntu off a USB 3.0 stick would be nice.
    i like to have an alternate OS on a stick to screw around with.

as much as i love OSX, IOS & Android...
    microsoft created one of the best if not the best OS out there with windows 8.1 imho.

it can do everything, it's fast, beautiful, etc.
    if i had to choose one OS it would be 8.1

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links