Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by peterscm View Post
    Good news. Finally found an OTG that can charge and use OTG function at the same time but you need to use 5V 3A adapter (tested with original Asus adapter). Have not tested with 5V 2A adapter yet. I think most likely not enough power to charge T100.

It come with 4 USB 2 port. Initial testing I'm using Sandisk USB3 64GB thumb drive. Working flawlessly. Able to play back movie from it and charge my T100. Have not tested with external HDD yet. There are three switch: 1, 2 and 3.

Only switch 1 is working for OTG function and charging. Switch 2 & 3 only charging.

Attachment 8616

Bought it from Aliexpress. Link as below.

4 ports usb OTG Charger HUB cable for Tablet thinkpad 8,X98,M80ta,WT 8,Miix2,ME 400C,V8P,T100TA,W4 820,V975I,VI8 more models-in USB Hubs from Computer & Office on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
    This is exactly the kind of setup that was widely reported to be used by hackers to bipass the OS and modify firmware (such as the USB root hub of the computer) to get backdoor access to a computer, so is there any way to make sure that the hub or other parts of this device do not come with any malicious USB firmware in them (which would then modify the computer's own USB firmware)? Because this kind of USB firmware hack bipasses the OS, antivirus and antimalware programs would not detect anything, so what way do we have to check? (Please educate me.) Suspicion is reinforced by the fact that the ad for the product says rebooting the tablet may be needed to get it to work.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    417 times
    I'm not an expert but I'm gonna say that any device that connects and can be powered by the a USB connector on your computer could contain harmful code.

In my experience, many USB devices contain firmware that can install software on the host device or cause drivers to be loaded which can require a reboot.

The user must always use due diligence to make the best decision for their situation.

Did you know a wireless (not BT) mouse and/or keyboard is a source of hackers gaining access to your system assuming they're within radio range of your system.
    Rick, loving my T100TA-C1-GR Z3740 64GB Win 10
    BIOS 314. All Windows updates except Bing. All Asus Live Updates. WIFI driver 5.93.99.210
    I get 8-12 hrs use per charge using SLEEP mode. Warning, NEVER calibrate the touchscreen.
    When posting for help, please include Your Model Particulars
    Casters T100 Master Help Guide

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rickscheller View Post
    I'm not an expert but I'm gonna say that any device that connects and can be powered by the a USB connector on your computer could contain harmful code.

In my experience, many USB devices contain firmware that can install software on the host device or cause drivers to be loaded which can require a reboot.

The user must always use due diligence to make the best decision for their situation.

Did you know a wireless (not BT) mouse and/or keyboard is a source of hackers gaining access to your system assuming they're within radio range of your system.

So using our due diligence, what indications can we have that that device sold on that Chinese online shopping site is free from any malicious code? Please educate me; is there any logo on the item or some regulation that it meets that gives us any indication? I'm not being rhetorical or sarcastic; I really want to learn more about this.

And yes, I know about radio-range hackers, but I'm talking about what is already built into the device by a potentially shady manufacturer (and/or company selling the device) ?

Btw, that great Pwr+ charger you always advertised recently came from Amazon without the big sticker on it (the one with the input/ouput power info and "Made in Taiwan", etc.); have you ever seen or heard of it coming without that sticker?

And how about the other OTG cable(s) you had posted about before (without hubs) ? Were any of them confirmed to work for simultaneously charging and using the T100's microUSB port?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links