Thread: Bluetooth Trackball Mouse

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300
    Liked
    4 times

Bluetooth Trackball Mouse

Using a mouse where there is only a limited surface area can be a bit tricky. I would be interested to know of anyones experiences with a bluetooth trackball mouse.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    16 times
    I've never seen a trackball that uses Bluetooth. If there is one, I'd be the first to buy it. I just don't understand why the industry is so slow in implementing Bluetooth. As an alternative, IOGear have a Bluetooth keyboard with trackpad. The only downside is the lack of backlit keys.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    1225 times
    Quote Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
    I've never seen a trackball that uses Bluetooth. If there is one, I'd be the first to buy it. I just don't understand why the industry is so slow in implementing Bluetooth. As an alternative, IOGear have a Bluetooth keyboard with trackpad. The only downside is the lack of backlit keys.
    Just searched for Bluetooth trackball mouse. Found some.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    16 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Swipe View Post
    Just searched for Bluetooth trackball mouse. Found some.
    Would you be able to provide a link? The ones that l've looked at uses a dongle and its not Bluetooth; yes it's wireless but not Bluetooth.

This trackball article was written back in 2005 and l doubt its still in production.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    1225 times
    Screenshot_2014-05-26-20-22-08.pngTry a search - Google

rscheller likes this.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    16 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Swipe View Post
    Try a search - Google
    The Kensington Slimblade is no longer available (at least on Amazon). The OP will have to search for used models on eBay. l don't know about you, when l think of trackball, I'm thinking the Kensington Slimblade Trackball.

AFAIK, the Logitech M570 isn't Bluetooth as it requires the use of their Unified Receiver. This is where I hate marketing as they list the frequency that falls within the Bluetooth frequencies but does not specifically state it's compatible with Bluetooth. I would like to know if one can use the M570 without their Unified Receiver. Hopefully someone have this model and test it out on the T100 or a Bluetooth capable device as I love the wired version of Logitech's TrackMan Wheel.

The last time I've looked, Kensington didn't have a wireless trackball until now, Kensington Orbit Wireless Mobile Trackball. However, it states you need to use the dongle and the frequency that Bluetooth uses. What's interesting is that they have a Smartphone pictured next to the Orbit Wireless.

Again, if a device is Bluetooth capable, it would specifically state that fact along with using the Bluetooth logo. There's also the possibility that companies are building Bluetooth capable devices without mentioning it to avoid paying some sort of fee, if any, to the Bluetooth Special Interest Group.

Anyway, I've fired off an email to Kensington about their Orbit Wireless for clarification and will post their reply.

UPDATE:

I figured as much. However, they should not have posted a picture of their wireless trackball next to a smartphone. Anyway, whenever I see the word "dongle" without the word "bluetooth" in the specifications then the device isn't bluetooth compatible.

Thank you for contacting Kensington Technical Support.

We see that you want to connect the trackball through Bluetooth. We would like to inform you that the trackball connects with computer through radio frequency with the help of receiver. The technology used in radio frequency is different from Bluetooth. We like to inform you that, without wireless receiver, we cannot connect the trackball with any computer and it is not compatible with any Bluetooth device.

For any further assistance please feel free to get back to us via our support website or you may want to call us on our toll-free number 800-535-4242, Mon - Fri 07:30 AM to 06:30 PM PST.

We appreciate your time and patience.

Please Read This!

Kensington Technical Support incidents are only processed via our support web site, not via email. Please do NOT reply to this email, but rather you must click on the link below which will bring you to the Kensington Technical Support web portal where you can initiate questions, modify your active incidents, or perform maintenance on your support account.

Again, please do NOT respond to this incident via email, please click on the link below to access your support incident. Thank you.

Product FAQs | Laptop Security | Mobile Solutions - Kensington - Kensington

Kensington Computer Products Group

Regards,

Mohammed Nadeem
    Last edited by vagabond; 05-28-2014 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Received reply from Kensington
    rogdodge likes this.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300
    Liked
    4 times
    I couldn't find one that did not need a plug-in dongle. Perhaps I didn't ask the right question on G. I will keep searching.

rscheller
    There are wireless mice that use wifi rather than bluetooth and no dongle required... seems they're all HP models. Here's one and there are more...

Amazon.com: HP WiFi Mouse: Electronics

but I'm not finding any that include the trackball.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300
    Liked
    4 times
    Thank you everyone for your help and input.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    2 times
    I found it hard enough trying to find a cheapish bluetooth mouse in my area. I'm going to wager it's probably something to do with licensing costs. I don't know, but Bluetooth being a brand name probably means someone has to grease someone else's palm every time they want to make something, hence the proliferation of mice and keyboards with dongles!

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links