Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    0 times

Stylus/Pen for Art Program

Hey everyone, new to the forum here and just expanding my use of my recently-acquired Asus T100TA. I want to create art with the PaintTool SAI program, but I am at a loss regarding which kind of stylus/pen to use. This would be for drawing and I am unsure about the ins and outs of the various types I am finding online. If anyone has any suggestions or tips, I would *greatly* appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    VivoTab Note 8
    Liked
    233 times
    The T100 lacks a dedicated digitizer for pens... So you'll usually be limited to a basic capacitive pen option that would naturally work with the touch screen, which isn't very accurate and doesn't support pressure sensitivity... There are some rare 3rd party solutions that provide add on hardware for better pen usage but they're very hard to find usually and still won't be as good as a WACOM solution...

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    0 times
    Zeo, thank you so much for your reply. I was hoping this wasn't the case, but I suspected it might be. I wish I'd known I'd want this feature before making a tablet purchase. I love my T100 as it performs the way I needed it to--just didn't think beyond that. LOL, maybe time for another gadget somewhere down the line.

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    VivoTab Note 8
    Liked
    233 times
    Pen support is still sparse but we're finally seeing some offer it...

The Asus Vivo Tab 8, MS Surface Pro/2, the newer Lenovo Thinkpad 10, etc. The Asus is the more affordable so far but small pen means limited pressure sensitivity... though, being WACOM means you can use any WACOM pen and the calibration tools lets you adjust for each... WACOM drivers still need to be updated to properly support that device for some reasons though, but WACOM driver support tends to lag a bit behind new product releases.

While, you may also want to consider what Art programs you intend to use... Bay Trail is significant improvement over previous ATOM based devices but it's still behind the performance of a Core i-Series based system, though, you should be able to run most things even if not that quickly...

So for about double the money you could get a Surface Pro 2 and have a Core i5 based tablet with WACOM digitizer that'll run just about anything you need and is good for getting work done... The newer Haswell chip is more energy efficient and means it can finally offer a fairly decent battery life but it is a much heavier and bulkier tablet than the T100 and the pen doesn't have a slot to hold it...

You could also just wait till the end of the year when Cherry Trail update to the ATOM comes out... Intel plans to significantly increase the graphical performance...

The present Bay Trail GMA only has 4EU's and is based on the Gen 7 Ivy Bridge GMA, but the upcoming Cherry Trail will be based Gen 8 Broadwell GMA and will have 16 EU's, along with the whole SoC being put on the 14nm FAB, down from the present 22nm for Bay Trail, increasing the max RAM support and memory bandwidth... So performance would be more adequate for doing artistic things, etc.

While, you should also watch out for competing pen technologies... N-Trig and others offer cheaper pen technology that's easier for OEMs to include but aren't as accurate as WACOM but do mean generally thinner tablets (N-Trig can combine both digitizers for touch and pen into one layer), albeit they tend to lack also as good palm rejection as they can't just cut off touch when using the pen like WACOM equipped tablets can...

But to summarize, look for a more premium tablet if you want pen support...

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links