Like Tree4Likes

Thread: External USB 3.0 hard drive that just works

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    2 times
    Interesting observations for sure. After seeing what you're able to use on your USB 2.0 port, I went back and tested mine again. I used a different OTG adapter, and sure enough it works fine. The first OTG cable I used had a 6" dongle, and the wire must be extremely tiny and lossy. The one that works is just a 90deg adapter with no cable.

This is way off topic. but the WD drive also works on my Google Nexus 7 with OTG adapter. I was skeptical it would, as I see a lot of issues on the Google forums.

I never saw any electrical specs packaged with the WD drive, which surprised me. They used to include electrical, mechanical, and environmental specs. I suppose most consumers don't know how to read specs sheets anyways. I'm sort of curious to disassemble mine. I assume most of these drives draw way more than the 0.5A at startup and possibly other times when the heads are doing a lot of track seeking. Do they use a big electrolytic capacitor or smallish battery to keep the voltage from sagging? Hmm.

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    VivoTab Note 8
    Liked
    233 times
    Quote Originally Posted by curmudgeon View Post
    I assume most of these drives draw way more than the 0.5A at startup and possibly other times when the heads are doing a lot of track seeking.
    Depends on the drive, but green drives can stick within the 0.5A limit... Mind, 5v@500mA=2.5W... and most of the time the drive will operate in 1-2+W range... One of the highest is when the drive spins up but a green drive will usually top off at around 2.4W...

A 7200RPM, higher performance, drive on the other hand can go up to 3.3W, which requires 5@625mA... While high performance drives can even peak up to 1.1A or about 5.5W...

A normal USB 2.0 port can output 5v@500mA for normal max, but many can dip below in either amperage and/or voltage... The break down is also up to 5 way split at 125mA each, such as through a hub and some microUSB ports can be limited to 250mA or less...

USB 3.0 increases this to 6 of 150mA each for 900mA max...

The USB cable/port can handle up to 1.5A as upper limit and this is what many chargers work under... There's also a Charging Port standard that lets a USB 2.0 port support over 1A, usually 1.2A and up to 1.5A... There's usually no way to tell if you device has this unless there's specific documentation indicating it does or you see it as a option in the firmware/BIOS/UEFI settings... Though, sometimes you'd see a big "+" next to the USB symbol or instead of a USB symbol you'd see a battery symbol...

There's also a related standard that allows a port to continue to give power even when the system is off... For Dell this type of port usually has a lightning port next to the USB symbol... Asus also offers that type of port but usually only for laptop and desktop systems...

For the T100, it looks like the USB 3.0 is connected through a internal HUB... This is how the HDD model connects within the dock...

So, basically, keep in mind that the HUB can reduce the max output power of the USB 3.0 port... Especially, if you have the HDD model... and while most drives can work within the 500mA that a normal USB 2.0 port can provide, a few can exceed it to the point even a USB 3.0 port at full 900mA may still not be enough and you'd need a Charging Port rated port or external USB port...
    curmudgeon likes this.

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    163 times
    After this discussion I've really been thinking about purchasing one of these USB meters from Amazon just to satisfy my curiosity.

Amazon.com: PortaPow USB Power Monitor / Multimeter / DC Ammeter for Solar Panels, Mains Chargers, etc: Home Improvement

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    163 times
    Quote Originally Posted by curmudgeon View Post
    Do they use a big electrolytic capacitor or smallish battery to keep the voltage from sagging? Hmm.
    I would highly doubt they would use a large capacitor in the HDDs to maintain voltage. The reason being is for a cap to maintain voltage, it 1st requires a large current draw from the device when it is initially connected to charge the cap. Then also consider there is a large initial current draw to get the HDD discs to spin up happening at the same time. While the voltage the cap would maintain when the voltage dropped would be a very short amount of time in the order of milliseconds. So the benefits gained would not really exceed the drawbacks by adding a large cap.

That is however, one of the reasons I would like an App that would be able to measure current draw over time. It would show me the initial current draw when a HDD is connected and then the settling current draw after it spins up, where a meter will only give me instantaneous averages.
    Last edited by Rednroll; 05-03-2014 at 05:15 PM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi
    i have a 1tb wd external hdd ,it is a usb3.0.i can not to connect to the my asus t100 , it just be connect for 1 minute, after that they disconnect and connected and doesn't work normally.
    would you please help me?

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    163 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dartanian View Post
    Hi
    i have a 1tb wd external hdd ,it is a usb3.0.i can not to connect to the my asus t100 , it just be connect for 1 minute, after that they disconnect and connected and doesn't work normally.
    would you please help me?
    Steps to fix.
    1. Purchase a shorter/thicket/better USB cable
    2. Sell the WD drive and purchase a Toshiba Canvio instead, they require less power.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rednroll View Post
    ...purchase a Toshiba Canvio instead, they require less power.
    How do you think - this (2tb version) will work if connect to USB3:
    Amazon.com: Toshiba Canvio 1.0 TB USB 3.0 Basics Portable Hard Drive - HDTB210XK3BA(Black): Electronics
    and what different between "basic" and "connect" version.

Thank you.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    42 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Grisha_J View Post
    I have the 1TB Basic version and it works fine, either direct connect to the Dock or via a powered USB3 Hub. Don't see why the 2TB shouldn't work either

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by exitguy View Post
    I have the 1TB Basic version and it works fine, either direct connect to the Dock or via a powered USB3 Hub. Don't see why the 2TB shouldn't work either
    Because it has 2 platters.

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    163 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Grisha_J View Post
    Amazon.com: Toshiba Canvio 1.0 TB USB 3.0 Basics Portable Hard Drive - HDTB210XK3BA(Black): Electronics
    and what different between "basic" and "connect" version.

Thank you.
    Quoted from another thread. I had no problem powering my 2TB Canvio while connected to the USB 3.0 port running the following test/configuration.

Quote Originally Posted by Rednroll View Post
    Just as an FYI reference.

Connected to the USB 3.0 port simultaneously with no problem.
    1. Targus USB 2.0, 4 port USB powered Hub (ie no external power) .
    2. Toshiba Canvio Basic 2TB USB 3.0 HDD 5400 RPM
    3. Toshiba Canvio 1TB Connect USB 3.0 HDD 5400 RPM
    4. Centon Datastick Pro 64GB USB 2.0 stick
    5. Toshiba 16GB USB 2.0 stick

So, I'm running (2) USB HDDs, (2) USB sticks and a 4 port USB powered hub simultaneously with no problem.

As I've previously described in a similar thread, I use Toshiba Canvio HDDs almost exclusively now based on prior experiences with other USB HDD manufacturer's that seemed to be power hungry. Western Digital USB HDDs to be more specific.

I also like the Targus USB 2.0, 4 port hub for its lower power consumption as well. It's USB powered and has no LEDs on the hub where most LEDs draw about 30mA each to light up. So given that most USB hubs have a LED for each port and a LED for power, that can be up to (5) LEDs on a 4 port hub, which is an unnecessary additional 150mA+ power draw from the USB port.

Targus Hub

Test Results
    The 2TB drive is a Canvio "basic", the 1TB drive is a Canvio "Connect".

The "Connect" version comes with a shiny outside case, and is available in multiple colors. The shiny case attracts a lot of scratches and finger prints. The "connect" also comes with HDD backup software which I deleted. I actually prefer the "Basic" versions of the drives, because the case hides the scratches and finger prints and it doesn't come with software that I don't use.

I don't know if there are any technical performance differences between the "Basic" and "Connect" models. I highly doubt it. Sam's Club was selling the "Connect" 1TB models at a reduced clearance price of $40 each and I purchased 4 of them at the time after have already owned 2 of them.

The 2TB Canvio is a bit bulkier....almost twice as thick as the 1TB version, like there's 2 HDD stacked...or 2 platters as you mentioned. I also own a 1.5TB Canvio "Basic" and it's the same thickness as the 1TB models.

The 2TB basic is the USB HDD I use most with my T100. It's the USB HDD I carry with me to and from work.
    Last edited by Rednroll; 05-13-2014 at 12:54 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links