Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    9 times

The Asus T100 Keyboard - thoughts after a month

I'm not very picky when it comes to keyboards. Yes, I grew up on Thinkpads and I tend to take a good keyboard for granted. If there is anyone reading these posts who cares about the keyboard, here are thoughts from someone who has struggled with it for a month:

BENEFITS:
    - Allows you to angle the screen in any way you need
    - Gives you the excellent USB 3.0 port that you can use to access hard drives that might actually be faster than the internal disk or SD Card slot
    - Can be used on a plane since it does not use a wireless protocol
    - Nothing gets people more excited about the T100 than when they assume it is an old netbook... and then you pop off the tablet!
    DRAWBACKS:
    - Doubles the weight of the T100
    - Keyboard is so cramped and the Right Shift key is sooo tiny
    - Tiny touchpad is a struggle with more than one finger for any Windows 8 gestures
    - I can't think of a single bluetooth keyboard or mouse that is not a huge improvement. The onscreen keyboard and my finger make me more productive

Yes, it is free. However, all my mind can think about is how much cheaper they could have made it without the stupid keyboard. Or, maybe they could have used metal instead of plastic for the design like the gorgeous high-end Asus netbooks they released in later 2011.

Super Moderator & Forum Sleuth
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    1118 times
    Thanks for taking the time to post your take on things saniko, appreciated.

--Moved to Transformer Book 101 Accessories Forum--

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book
    Liked
    31 times
    Asus, Dell and others make full Windows tablets without keyboards. They keyboard adds significant value to this product. Without a keyboard, full Windows 8 is nearly unusable.

Being made of metal wouldn't solve any of your issues. In fact, it would make one of your drawbacks 'weight', even worse.

It's a sturdy keyboard, it's fine, it works well. No, the keys aren't huge, but they couldn't be any larger without making the keyboard wider than the screen, doing that would have users howling.

I'll agree that the touchpad could be better, some of those issues are caused by software. I'd very much extra features to be built into the keyboard, a spare battery, perhaps another USB 3.0 port or full-sized SD card slot. That's just wishlist stuff, not complaints.

Other than the touchpad, some of which is software related, it is realistically about as good a keyboard as it could be, especially given the price.
    Last edited by Banise; 12-02-2013 at 03:26 PM.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    3 times
    The kb is okay (not great), has full usb and protects the display. Me like.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    0 times
    I use the keyboard and think its fine, it docks on the screen and is lightweight

I got used to it, and can type fairly quick on it now, the price for this tablet is already cheap so i consider it a free item

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    5 times
    Hmmm interesting. I've always been using the left shift key ever since I first used a keyboard so the small right one doesn't bother me at all. The keyboard is a little cramped but I've found myself typing normally just like I would on a full size keyboard. As for the touchpad, it is pretty bad out of the box, but once you turn off all the smart gestures it works just fine imo. If I need gestures I can just touch my screen.

I have no issues with the keyboard.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    1 times
    I was all set to hate the keyboard, and I am a keyboard guy - I also grew up with an IBM ThinkPad and still use a buckling spring Model M on my desktop. I have huge hands too. But surprisingly, I don't mind it and I can type long blog posts, emails or forum posts like this one without any issue at all. It's clearly not as good as any of the better keyboards I've used, but it's definitely no *worse* than a lot of both laptop and desktop keyboards I've used that other people I know paid real cash money for. Sure, it's small, but the screen is small so there's not much they could do about that. The feel of it is fine. For the price, I have no real complaints.

Of course, I say that after just hitting "insert" instead of "backspace" for about the 1,000th time... there's nothing worse than that because I never know what I did until I start typing again and erase half the letters of the next word.

I am not sure why but I have no problem with the right shift key that everyone complains about. It may be that it just happens to be in the same spot as the same key on my current laptop.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book
    Liked
    31 times
    The insert key can be remapped/unmapped. I'm guessing it requires a utility. I haven't done it, but I know some Windows desktop users that hate hitting insert by mistake, so have depreciated it entirely.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    9 times
    Actually, I recall a program to remap keys - Download Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator 1.4 from Official Microsoft Download Center

I used it to remap an up key into another right shift key for a Sony Vaio P back in the day. That might help if that's the only serious problem with the keyboard.

I'm currently using a Microsoft Wedge Keyboard through bluetooth and it is working out very well.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    3 times
    The kb is great if you are doing a clean install from retail Windows 8 ISO. The reason is that upon installing a fresh copy of Win8, the touch screen is not functional due to no driver. Therefore, the kb is a great way to get around to install driver.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links