Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    18 times
    Any of the 28/24AWG cables listed here should be fine: Search result for micro usb cable - Monoprice.com

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    9 times
    I got the 6 foot monoprice one that someone else mentioned on a thread. It works great! While I'm not certain about the charger (whether non-Asus 10V 2amp charge slowly), the cable does make a huge difference in charging. I tested my Kindle Paperwhite cable against the short cable that came with the Asus T100, and the Paperwhite cable barely charges the Asus.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    2 times
    I have had success with the 3ft and 6ft versions of the monoprice cable. 9762 Premium USB to Micro USB Charge & Sync Cable 6ft- Black. $2.87 for 6ft

Cheers,
    Gary

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book
    Liked
    31 times
    I have some of the cheaper, non premium Monoprice cables, they only trickle charge.

Definitely buy the premium versions for charging the T100.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunnzie View Post
    Are there any universal cases that will snuggly fit the T100? I would actually prefer a pouch that is just for travelling with. I looked at some cases for netbooks but they were bigger than I would have liked.

Also, I would like to keep a charger at work so I don't have to carry one around. Keep on at work and one at home. Is there a universal charger that will work with the T100. Even better would be one that charges quicker.

I also would like a USB hub but I am guessing a bus powered one would not be advisable as the charger isn't good enough to charge the T100 when in use as it is without a USB hub draining power too. Would a bus powered one be at all possible or should I get an externally powered one. Thing is that would be another charger to carry around or have two of those too.

Would people recommend using a screen protector? I never bothered on my Android tablet as it had Guerilla Glass but I'm assuming the T100 doesn't.
    The Amazon basics 7-10" tablet case works pretty well. It isn't super duper snug, but it isn't particular oversized either, maybe half an inch of room on one side and the top if pushed to the corner in the case. Could maybe fit an extra eighth of an inch in above/below it before the case starts really stretching with the dock conncted to the T100. Outside pocket is roomy, but it doesn't add much bulk to it (I can squeeze charger, 500GB HDD, 3' micro HDMI cable, micro USB to USB cable, USB3 card reader and MS arc touch mouse collapsed in it, but that is pushing it).

For a charger, the Samsung Galaxy 3/4 charger works. Its the same 2amps, seems to charge at roughly the same rate. Its thinner and narrower, but slightly longer (it works better in my case for carrying around when I want a charger with me). BEWARE THOUGH, there are a LOT of knock offs of that charger and many of them DO NOT WORK PROPERLY. I bought a cheap $8 one off eBay and the maximum it would charge at is 3 watts, way below the 10w spec of the charger for the S3/4 or T100. I confirmed with one of the S3 chargers we have at work (we have a mobile device test lab and we use the S3 as our Android test devices) and it charged it 6% in 15 minutes, about on part with what my T100 2A/10W charger does (about 25% per hour, or around 6% in 15 minutes).

So I ordered another one, this time from Amazon from a seller who has excellent, excellent feedback with no complaints of "it charges my S3 slower than the original charger" or anything like that. Was/is $10 shipped.

I am not bothering with a screen protector.

For a powered hub, I'd get one if you plan to hang devices off the T100 a lot, or often. If not, I would get a host powered one. Plenty of 3-4 port USB3 hubs that'll draw power just fine from the T100's USB3 port. Downside is it'll run down the battery faster, but its 7.5w of output from the port (or at least it is if it meets specs. I haven't tested, but it'll charge my Nook ST, though I haven't tested long enough to see if it is doing it at the 1A/5w rate the normal charger does, it'll also power a 500GB HDD that requires 4.5w start-up power and around 1.5-2w running. Plus it'll run a gigabit ethernet adapter, that probably takes .5-1w, though that is well below USB2.0 port power specs).

However, if you aren't using it much, it shouldn't matter a lot and as you pointed out, it would be one more charger to carry around if you do go with a powered hub.

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    911 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunnzie View Post
    Are there any universal cases that will snuggly fit the T100? I would actually prefer a pouch that is just for travelling with. I looked at some cases for netbooks but they were bigger than I would have liked.
    If you want a snug fit tablet case...this post shows where you can get one:

Case for ASUS T100

If you're looking for a pouch case...finding one that fits for the T100 is relatively easy...finding a snug one is more of a challenge.

Here are some recommendations from other users in these 2 threads:

travel case review

Case for ASUS T100
    OWNER OF ASUS 64GB T100TA w/128GB microSD, and now running Windows 10

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetofu View Post
    I bought one of these from Walmart: Amazon.com: GE 14096 10-Outlet Surge Protector with 2 USB Charging Ports GE 14096 10-Outlet Surge Protector wit: Electronics

The package specifically stated that the USB ports provide 2.1A for "quick charging" for tablets. I used a 24 gauge usb cord from monoprice, which works fine with the factory charger. Nothing else was plugged into the power strip.

Unfortunately, the power strip was not able to provide sufficient power to keep up with power drainage during use of the tablet, and battery life started going down while charging.

Therefore, I stand by my statement that only the factory charger is able to provide sufficient power to charge the device to keep up with energy drain while in use.

Most if not all 2.1 amp chargers are made for apple iPad. They will not work well with non apple products. I have the GE surge protector too. It wont even charge my old Galaxy s2 which should charge with a 1 amp charger, or my newer s4. I get 450 milliamps for my s4.

My s4 charger works with my t100 well enough to charge it while I'm using it. I have a couple more that needs special charging cables to fool my t100 into charging fast.

I'm using the Verizon branded s4 car charger in my car and it too works.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times
    Yeah the S3/S4 stuff seems to work well with the T100.

I finally got my branded Samsung S3/S4 charger. It works great. It charges just as fast as my T100 charger does, but smaller (maybe lighter?). I've tried with both the cable that came with it and my T100 cable. Both are 3' cables and work fine.

I went with the S3/4 charger, in part to have a back-up charger that'll work well, but also because the T100 charger is roughly 1" thick, 2" wide and 2.25" long. It kind of bulges the neoprene case I have for my T100. It fits, but bulgy. The S3/4 charger is about .75" thick, 1.5" wide and around 2.75" long. The extra length is fine, but the lower width and thickness make it fit a lot more easily in my bag.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by saniko View Post
    I tested my Kindle Paperwhite cable against the short cable that came with the Asus T100, and the Paperwhite cable barely charges the Asus.
    This is exactly what you should not do. Longer cables (any kind of cable or wire) have more resistance than shorter ones, so if you use a longer cable you will have less power at the destination. There's no difference if you use an extension cable between the mains socket and the charging adapter since the mains voltage is transformed before use, but for the USB charging cable, you must use short cables for best results. Heck, Nokia makes 20 cm micro USB cables for their phones, and they charge most anything very quickly.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Please select one
    Liked
    0 times
    Really? I just got a USB power strip from Bestek which looks beautiful like a tower. It also has 3 USB ports 0~2.4A and a type-c port. So I'm going to charge my cellphone, tablet and type-c device with that power strip. So, I can't do that now? Is there any damage to my device?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links