Thread: T300 Chi won't turn on and no LED

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T300 Chi
    Liked
    0 times

T300 Chi won't turn on and no LED

Hey all. As the title says. It was on my lap all ok and I stopped using it for maybe 15 minutes when the screen went blank. I assumed it had just gone idle/sleep but when I touched the screen nothing happened. It was plugged in but I noticed where the usual orange/white led would be illuminated, it was not. I've tried pressing on button for upto 60 seconds, tried on/volume down, pretty much every combo possible and nothing. Keyboard flashes blue when I turn on so that's OK but the tablet element seems quite literally dead. I bought it from the UK but currently travelling Australia. Are my options now solely costly ones? Thanks, Adam

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2806 times
    Welcome

What a nuisance for you on your travels. I suspect that the system has locked up. As you can't unplug it your two choices (free ones) are to either take the back off and disconnect the battery, or to let the battery drain by itself over time.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T300 Chi
    Liked
    0 times
    Hey thank you for the response. Is there a guide to removing the rear cover? I suspect it has something to do with putting something in to the 2 slots where the keyboard slots in but...?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T300 Chi
    Liked
    1 times
    s44rgg, I've got the exact same problem as you. Was using my Chi normally, stepped away, came back and the screen and charge light were off. I cannot get the charge light to go back on and the Chi won't boot up either.

Have you solved your problem?

Does anyone know how to open up the tablet so I can see if the battery cable somehow became disconnected? I figure either that's what happened or as Janner43 the system somehow "locked up" ... though I don't understand how that is possible.

At any rate, I'll leave it unplugged to see if draining the battery somehow solves it. Any suggestions would be welcome.

I've very disappointed as I was using it as my main computer. I have ordered another computer in the meantime but would still like to fix this Chi.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T300 Chi
    Liked
    1 times
    Update ... apparently the system "locked up," and after letting the battery fully discharge, the Chi now works.

I was really skeptical that a W10 tablet like this could simply "lock up" as janner43 had suggested, and I had tried every combination of button pushes to get it working to no avail. But I had nothing to lose, so I left it unplugged and kept checking it every day to see if it would respond. Every day ... nothing ... until yesterday when it finally sprung to life. It quickly turned off as the battery was about at zero, but I simply plugged it back in, and it was now charging and back to normal.

i bought a new Asus laptop in the meantime, which I'm happy with and will now keep as my main PC -- as it has a normal recoverable HDD/SSD to salvage data from in case of other hardware/OS failures, unlike the Chi. That is one negative about the Chi -- no easy way to recover data in case of a catastrophic failure.

At any rate, I'm happy the Chi is now working normally, and thanks to janner43 for the suggestion to just let the battery charge run out.
    janner43 likes this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T300 Chi
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by LGM15 View Post
    Update ... apparently the system "locked up," and after letting the battery fully discharge, the Chi now works.

I was really skeptical that a W10 tablet like this could simply "lock up" as janner43 had suggested, and I had tried every combination of button pushes to get it working to no avail. But I had nothing to lose, so I left it unplugged and kept checking it every day to see if it would respond. Every day ... nothing ... until yesterday when it finally sprung to life. It quickly turned off as the battery was about at zero, but I simply plugged it back in, and it was now charging and back to normal.

i bought a new Asus laptop in the meantime, which I'm happy with and will now keep as my main PC -- as it has a normal recoverable HDD/SSD to salvage data from in case of other hardware/OS failures, unlike the Chi. That is one negative about the Chi -- no easy way to recover data in case of a catastrophic failure.

At any rate, I'm happy the Chi is now working normally, and thanks to janner43 for the suggestion to just let the battery charge run out.
    Unfortunately for you, I have the exact same problem. Mine doesn't work until it's fully discharged and then charges again however if the screen turns off for any reason other than a restart the device locks up once again. Does your USB port still work as mine also stopped functioning around the same time this problem started

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T300 Chi
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by T300chinotworking View Post
    Unfortunately for you, I have the exact same problem. Mine doesn't work until it's fully discharged and then charges again however if the screen turns off for any reason other than a restart the device locks up once again. Does your USB port still work as mine also stopped functioning around the same time this problem started
    I'm sorry to hear that your Chi is still not working properly. Once I fully discharged mine and got it working, it has been fine since then. Everything is normal -- USB port, rebooting, sleeping, hibernating, charging. And I keep mine with the charger on almost all the time. Hopefully it stays OK.

But I won't be using it as my main PC anymore because it's too hard -- if not impossible -- to salvage data off it. With a normal laptop with a traditional HDD/SSD, you just remove the drive and insert it into an external enclosure to salvage data if the whole laptop dies. That's really my only reason for moving on to another laptop ... otherwise I still love the Chi.

If I were you, I would salvage all your data off your Chi, then try to reset it from the advanced boot menu. Choose to erase all your data, and reset everything as if it were brand new. Maybe that will get the USB port working again and prevent future lockups. Then go to the Asus website and download all the most current drivers and software and install them.

I have a feeling the lockup on mine was perhaps a result of too little free space in the partition where I had the OS installed. I suspect the Chi tried to install updates, and it went haywire when it ran into a space limitation. As soon as my Chi sprung back to life, I freed up some space in the Windows partition.

Were you also running out of free space where Windows was installed? Resetting from new should free up space.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T300 Chi
    Liked
    0 times
    How long did you wait for it to discharge? I'm sitting with the same problem now

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T300 Chi
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Imran View Post
    How long did you wait for it to discharge? I'm sitting with the same problem now
    Hello! It might be a bit late to respond to this, but this happened to me a few times and it's always taken 3-4 days depending on how charged my battery was.

Also, I've been having the same problem as mentioned above earlier regarding the mini USB not working. Has anyone found a resolution this? I need it for school :').

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T300 Chi
    Liked
    0 times
    I have the same problem... 😭 and i have important document in the ssd... and don't have a problem of space i think i have 17 gb...

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links