Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T300 Chi
    Liked
    1 times

Problem using keyboard in some Windows modes

Hello -

New T300 Chi owner here. I absolutely love this convertible. Everything is working well save for one thing -- I find that my keyboard does not work at all when in certain modes -- specifically while in safe mode and also when trying to use a Windows PE boot up disk made by Aomei backkupper on the Chi.

Anyone encounter the same issues or have an idea of how to solve this? I think the problem may be because of how Asus implemented the keyboard communication with the tablet.

If I bought a wired USB keyboard, do you think it would work with the Chi in these modes? One can buy one of these keyboards cheaply, and if I knew it worked with this computer in those Windows modes, I would buy one JUST for those infrequent instances. Can anyone who has both the T300 Chi and a USB keyboard test this out for me?

BTW, I made a bootable flash drive of the factory recovery image using Asus Backtracker and it boots up fine, but you use the touch controls to navigate!

Thanks in advance.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T300 Chi
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by LGM15 View Post
    Hello -

New T300 Chi owner here. I absolutely love this convertible. Everything is working well save for one thing -- I find that my keyboard does not work at all when in certain modes -- specifically while in safe mode and also when trying to use a Windows PE boot up disk made by Aomei backkupper on the Chi.

Anyone encounter the same issues or have an idea of how to solve this? I think the problem may be because of how Asus implemented the keyboard communication with the tablet.

If I bought a wired USB keyboard, do you think it would work with the Chi in these modes? One can buy one of these keyboards cheaply, and if I knew it worked with this computer in those Windows modes, I would buy one JUST for those infrequent instances. Can anyone who has both the T300 Chi and a USB keyboard test this out for me?

BTW, I made a bootable flash drive of the factory recovery image using Asus Backtracker and it boots up fine, but you use the touch controls to navigate!

Thanks in advance.
    I'm no expert so please excuse my ignorance, but might it be that windows doesn't connect to bluetooth devices during those modes of operation? The keyboard is of course connected to the tablet via bluetooth only. Have you seen whether other bluetooth devices such as a mouse would work when in those modes?

Starscream
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    255 times
    Quote Originally Posted by LGM15 View Post
    Hello -

Thanks in advance.
    I do have a feeling Magnum is right here, on safe mode when you disable networking, you will also disable Bluetooth along with any other connectivity features, since bluetooth also fall's under the Wireless suite of connections. Try Safe Mode with Networking? See if that helps, a physical USB cabled keyboard should be able to work just fine on the T300 Chi I suppose. Goodluck & All the best !
    Proud Owner of Asus 100TA-DK024H, Asus ROG G750JZ, Asus TF700
    Use it daily, I get around 9-10 or more hours per charge daily - Bios 313 - Please use search in the forums, and refer to Guides under every section they are very helpful!
    Forum Rules - Wifi was Working - Now Disconnected? - Wifi Tips & Tricks
    Z3775 Graphics Card Driver Update/Details/Processor Details (How Much Mhz/VRAM does it have!)
    Android Master Help Guide - T100 Master Help Guide

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T300 Chi
    Liked
    1 times
    I went back into safe mode (with networking) and the physical keyboard still doesn't work. But, DUH! ... I don't know how I overlooked this but the touchscreen does work in safe mode. This is my first convertible and first touchscreen notebook, so I'm still not used to using touch input when there is a keyboard attached. I could have just overlooked the touch screen entirely when I was mucking around in safe mode before. So at least that's solved.

However, there is still the issue of not having a Windows PE bootup disk work. When I attach the disk and choose the option to boot to the attached CD drive, a message comes up on the screen asking you to touch any key to continue to boot up to the attached device. But, lol, neither the physical keyboard works at that point and touch doesn't work either. So it just exits out of that sequence and boots into Windows normally.

I guess I'll just buy a cheap USB keyboard from Amazon to test things out, and if it still doesn't work, I can always return it.

Thanks for the replies.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T300 Chi
    Liked
    0 times
    Did you try using the windows key on the side of the tablet? Although you might have tried that as it is also used for navigating the bios, along with the volume keys. Incidentally if you haven't booted to bios and want to know how, I found out from a post somewhere that you hold the up volume while powering on.

I have experienced similar issues trying to install ubuntu studio. I can get up to the point where it asks me to type a computer name and user details. I believe the workaround is as you suggest to use a usb hub to connect both the flash drive and a keyboard. I'll be shelling out for a $10 job soon.

Also, as I haven't seen it mentioned specifically elsewhere and it's the reason I initially ended up here. The passcode for the keyboard dock in the case of needing to uninstall and re-pair it is 1234.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links