Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times

Ubuntu and W8 on P1801

Hi !

Has any of you experienced installing Ubuntu (to run as an alternate to Win8, not as a replacement) on the P1801 ?
    I need to be in Linux from time to time
    Just asking here, since I don't know if running Win8, Ubuntu and Android on the tablet screen may create conflicts and problems.
    I did have Win7 and Ubuntu on my previous ASUS laptop and it was working like a charm.

Thanks for your input

Wat

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    AiO P1801
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Watford View Post
    Hi !

Has any of you experienced installing Ubuntu (to run as an alternate to Win8, not as a replacement) on the P1801 ?
    I need to be in Linux from time to time
    Just asking here, since I don't know if running Win8, Ubuntu and Android on the tablet screen may create conflicts and problems.
    I did have Win7 and Ubuntu on my previous ASUS laptop and it was working like a charm.

Thanks for your input

Wat
    I dual boot ubuntu/windows 8 on my dock and a ubuntu vm/android on my tablet, and I love it. Runs like a beast. Wine dosen't run some of the .exe programs to my liking (photoshop), so i use windows for certain programs, ubuntu for pretty much everything else. all i had to to was shrink the win partition, take a small piece of the free storage partition, disable fastboot to get in the bios, unlock microsofts secure boot and install ubuntu (os, home, and swap) in the space i created. Grub had a little hiccup that was easily fixed by booting the ubuntu live usb again and running a bootfix from the terminal. Saucy Salamandar, Grub, and win 8 all run flawless after that and total time spent was about 2 hrs. start to finish. I will say the keyboard is necessary since 13.10 isn't full on touch friendly and some python programs are needed to fully make splashtop run on 13.04 & 13.10, 12 run without but still nothing a quick google search couldn't provide a solution for. And the keyboard & mouse run perfectly connecting the key to a otg miniUSB to usb port, which set me back a whopping 3 bucks.

I run the vm on the tablet for the rare occurance that i don't have net access but still need to get some things done. The ubuntu vm only takes up about 4 gbs with the programs I need to install; but the microsd slot on the tablet give me more than enough storage and is easy to change sd cards on the fly.

14.04, which is scheduled for official release in 16 days, fully supports touchscreen. I actually got the final beta downloading now to check it out live to see if I want to update or not.

Just remember to ALWAYS make a backup before making any serious changes.

Have some fun with it,
    Flip

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    0 times
    Can you point me to info on setting up the Ubuntu vm on Android? I'm intrigued!

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links