Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    AiO P1801
    Liked
    6 times

Splashtop Personal - Windows 8 Remote from any Internet Connection

I installed the Splashtop Personal software from the Play Store as a troubleshooting effort to get my blue Mode Switch button working properly (different post). It didn't fix my problem but I do like the Splashtop Personal app.

I had been toying with the idea of taking my P1801 tablet to work to try it out as a remote PC from the Internet. Surprisingly, it works fairly well.

Let me clarify a few things though. First, the ASUS tablet comes with Splashtop but it's a modified version of the software and it is built in to the tablet. I'll refer to this as ASUS Splashtop. When browsing "Splashtop" from the Android Play store, you'll find a myriad of Splashtop products to choose from. They all have different names but the descriptions look the same. There are however subtle differences between them and the www.splashtop.com site offers little guidance. If you want to access your P1801 base (Windows 8 session) using the tablet from a across the Internet, you'll need Splashtop Personal.

So I took a chance, downloaded Splashtop Personal to the Android Tablet and fired it up. The cool thing is that it does NOT overwrite or interfere with the ASUS Splashtop that is preloaded; meaning it does not interfere with your blue mode switch button. Pressing the blue mode switch will continue to launch the ASUS Splashtop built-in software. It simply installs as another program in the tablet. I also updated the "Splashtop Streamer" software on the Windows 8.1 base to a more recent version (currently 2.4.5.2 as of 11/4/2013).

The Splashtop Personal software is free to use locally, meaning you can use it on your home WiFi without a fee. OK so you can do that already with the ASUS Splashtop and in fact, the ASUS version is full screen whereas the Splashtop Personal isn't quite full screen. Plus ASUS removeS many of the Splashtop functions and on-screen buttons to make the remote session feel more organic as opposed to just a piece of remote software.

Anyway, if you want to access your Windows 8.1 base from across an Internet connection, 3g/4g or otherwise, you will need to subscribe to Splashtop Personal for $1.99 per month. Once you do, you'll be able to access your Windows 8.1 base from across the Internet, using a gmail account to link them together.

Honestly it works really well as a remote session, although I also use a Logitech K810 bluetooth keyboard. Having an actual keyboard is the only way (IMO) to use the remote tablet mode effectively for work ... and I do it all the time. The biggest issue I have is that the tablet has a fairly weak WiFi antenna so most of my trouble comes from just getting a WiFi signal. Once you do though, you can open Splashtop Personal, click on your PC icon in the list and you will be connected.

BTW the reason for the $1.99 fee per month is because Splashtop uses global hosting servers to establish the remote connection through gmail. I didn't need to open any firewall ports on my home router, use VPN software or do anything tricky with networking to get this to work.

Bringing in an 18.4" tablet to work will definitely get you some "cool factor" kudo's from co-workers. Unfortunately, many will also ask "Is that the new iPad?. sigh.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    AiO P1801
    Liked
    6 times
    HA HA LOL ok so after taking the time to write the above post, I realized that the built-in ASUS Splashtop comes with the SAME Internet Discovery functionality but doesn't cost $1.99 per month!

Of course I immediately cancelled my Splashtop Personal subscription (only paid 1 month thankfully) and uninstalled the app, leaving only the ASUS Splashtop AIO version. I left the original post above because you can still use Splashtop Personal from a different tablet or phone device to connect to your Windows 8.1 base station. That will cost you $1.99 per month though.

To get this to work with the ASUS Built-in Splashtop, you need to configure the Tablet and the Splashtop Streamer in a few places. Again for clarity, I'm using the latest version of Splashtop Streamer 2.4.5.2.

1) From the Windows 8 Splashtop Streamer, open the properties and select the Status tab. Login with your Splashtop Account here. This is a specific account you've created at Splashtop from their website
    2) Next, click the Advanced tab in the Streamer. Scroll down to the bottom under Internet Discovery and enter your Google Gmail credentials here. FYI This will work with Google's 2-Step Verification if you're using it.
    3) Now switch to your tablet and open the Splashtop AIO Remote Software from the Apps area (don't use the blue button).
    4) Go into the Settings and select Internet Discovery. Enter your Google Gmail credentials here (not your Splashtop account).

That's it. Once you complete the above, your Windows 8 Base station will be accessible from the Internet. I tested this by turning on the Mobile Hotspot 4G connection on my Verizon phone. I connected my Tablet to the 4G Mobile Hotspot while keeping my base connected to my home WiFi. When I pushed the blue mode switch button, my home PC icon changed to show a little satellite icon. I touched it and was connected to my base Windows 8.1 station. Cool. Saved $1.99 per month.
    Last edited by djlott; 11-04-2013 at 03:54 PM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    AiO P1801
    Liked
    1 times
    Good post. THX.

ADD: Issue solved.

I was having trouble signing into windows using splashtop. It would connect to the base but when trying to sign in, my onscreen keyboard wouldn't function properly, if at all. This was found to be a setting in splashtop I had checked. Specifically, "lock [base] keyboard and mouse" while in remote session.

I unchecked this box and all was well again.

Not a big revelation or anything, just thought I'd throw it out there in case others ran into this issue.
    Last edited by Lowmaintenance; 12-26-2013 at 03:30 AM. Reason: UPDATE

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    AiO P1801
    Liked
    0 times
    I have been using Splashtop to connect from away from home thanks to this thread. Despite Splashtop Streamer's recommendation for setting the computer to not sleep I have worked around that. I configured the computer to accept magic packets (WOL) sent from the tablet to wake the computer from sleep to save energy. This has been working quite well when the base has been connected via Ethernet. I have since moved the base and now only connect via wireless. I cannot figure out how to configure the wireless adapter to accept magic packets to wake the computer, even just on my local network.

Under the device manager the Qualcomm Atheros AR946x wireless network adapter is what is listed. Right-click->properties->Power management tab->brings me to the "Allow this device to wake the computer" option which I checked for the Ethernet card to make WOL work. This wireless card has the option grayed out.

I've gone into the BIOs and enabled Power on by PCIE. I have also enabled WoWLAN support in the registry described here Configure Wake on Wireless LAN (WoWLAN)

Has anyone else encountered this or know how to set it up to wake on wireless lan? I'm wondering if maybe this wireless card doesn't support WoWLAN but I can't seem to find that information?

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    AiO P1801
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by nickidml View Post
    Has anyone else encountered this or know how to set it up to wake on wireless lan? I'm wondering if maybe this wireless card doesn't support WoWLAN but I can't seem to find that information?
    Nickidml,

Originally I had my P1801 based connected over WiFi and I could not get this to work. I didn't put a monumental effort into it but I believe that I read somewhere that Wireless Wake on Lan was not supported on this Wireless chip. My option to check the "Wake on Lan" is greyed out too despite finding updated drivers on the ASUS site. I recommend you continue your research on that subject though since it's been a while since I looked into this.

I recently switched to Ethernet using a PowerLine solution that I posted in a different thread:
    Ethernet over Home AC Power

For very little money ($35 on Amazon), you can create an Ethernet bridge to your Internet router using your home's AC electrical circuit. Plug one device into an outlet near your P1801 and the other near your router. Each device has an Ethernet port and they will pair automatically. It should also work in apartment settings where electrical circuits may cross breaker panels but I would be a bit more hesitant going in. There are plenty of Amazon reviews that say it will work though.

I know that doesn't answer question above but I can tell you that the solution works very well and Splashtop has never been better.

Please post an update if you do get WoWLAN working though.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    AiO P1801
    Liked
    0 times
    djlott,

Thanks for your info. I have addressed this issue extensively over the past few months. The only conclusion I've found is simply that WoWLAN is not supported :-(. Thanks for your idea about ethernet over power, that might just have to be the next step I look into.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    AiO P1801
    Liked
    0 times
    Has anyone been able to isolate the Splashtop AIO Remote .apk file? I'm curious if it can be installed and used in other android devices.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    AiO P1801
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by raduaz View Post
    Has anyone been able to isolate the Splashtop AIO Remote .apk file? I'm curious if it can be installed and used in other android devices.
    I have extracted the .apk file from my rooted device and installed it on other android devices, but when I go to open it the app crashes on me. So no I have not successfully used Splashtop AIO Remote on other devices, I've have resorted to using Splashtop Personal (free version), which doesn't do me any good outside of my LAN.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links