Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    AiO P1801
    Liked
    0 times

A number of issues: scroll wheel, android not powering up when battery drained, ...

Hi all,

My girlfriend bought an AiO P1801 in December with my guidance, after we looked at a number of reviews. We like the concept but we are having a few issues with it. I was wondering if anyone else had some similar issues, and maybe some solutions.

1. The simulated scrollwheel detection on the mouse is horrible. Many times it will just not detect the finger moving up or down on the scroll "hotspot". When it does detect it, it may work well, or it may just jump ridiculously fast up or down the page instead of scrolling smoothly. It is very frustrating, and I speculate it must be only our unit, or this would be all over the reviews. Has anyone else had this issue? Is there a place to customize the scrolling?

2. When in tablet mode (off the dock) if the battery runs out fully, placing the tablet back on the dock does not charge the tablet. It will stay as a black screen no matter what buttons are pressed. If we then remove it from the dock, and connect the power cord to the tablet, then it boots up, and can charge. Once it has a small charge, then it seems to work again on the dock. So the dock does charge it sometimes, but only if there already is a charge.

3. The shared folder in windows doesn't work. When I double click it, the explorer window just stops responding. It's like it can't connect to the unit.

4. When in android, when I click the icon in the top right to bring up the apps, it literally takes 4-5 seconds sometimes (there's that spinning circle thing on the black background). Other times it works fine. When I went to task manager, many of the processes were in Restarting status (and they just stayed in Restarting status).

I have not done the windows 8.1 or the recent android update. Does anyone think that might help?

Thanks for any insights or ideas.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    AiO P1801
    Liked
    0 times
    Well I have to say that the faux scroll wheel doesn't work all that well for me either. Its a nice concept but not all that great in practice. A few people on this forum have gone out and bought a Logitech keyboard/mouse combo that's Bluetooth based and doesn't require the usb dongle. It also is designed for both windows and android so it works on the android tablet too.

As for the problem you're having when the tablet runs out of power I've seen similar behavior but I only ran out of power once so can't comment reliably with only one episode under my belt. Could be that you'd need the table to charge substantially if it runs completely dry before it will begin to operate again (in any mode). I believe mine went black but I was able to get it to operate as the windows screen after dropping ii into the dock (and letting it sit for a minute) by hitting the switch key. But, I was using it as a windows screen at that time, not an android tablet. That's why I wonder if it needs to receive a sufficient enough charge to return as an android tablet before you can switch it to windows mode. This is all supposition though.

Can't help you on the other points but I've done the 8.1 update with no issues. Not sure how that'd affect the operation of the android tablet though.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    AiO P1801
    Liked
    10 times
    I think my mouse is the same, never even knew it had that pseudo-scroll button. It feels like it is just a series of micro-switches under a flexible button surface. So that probably explains the jumpiness. It is like 10-20 clicks rather than a smooth motion, they probably just send out up or down arrow events with each scroll click.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    AiO P1801
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for the confirmations about the mouse. They did a nice job on the keyboard, but the mouse really is awful now that I've used it for a few weeks. The scroll, and it also just feels really awkward in how it relates your hand movements to the cursor movements. I couldn't quite put my finger on it until I read this review: ASUS Transformer AiO Review: A Hybrid Device That Actually Gets It Right

The mouse is poorly designed. With most mice, the optical eye is in the center of the bottom, giving them a very balanced movement. On the AiO's mouse, however, the eye is much closer to the front, which means you have to control movement with more your fingers and less with your wrist (unless you use your entire arm to move a mouse), which can lead to a very frustrating experience.
    Anyways, ASUS support got back to me, and they suggest we use the recovery process and basically format the C:\ drive and reinstall it back to how it came from the factory. I guess that might help, but we really haven't done much other than very typical use so I don't see why it wouldn't just have the same issues.. plus to me the charge thing sounds like a hardware issue.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    AiO P1801
    Liked
    0 times
    I love how tech support's answer (from any company) always comes back to "reformat and/or reinstall the OS".

Maybe they should try that crap themselves. Always seems like a cop out to me. Hey, let's get the customer to do all the work, take all the chances and watch when that doesn't solve the problem either. (end rant)

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    AiO P1801
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi all,

Regarding the mouse I have same problem with scroll which is very annoying. Moreover my left mouse button works in a really strange way sometimes (when I click once it reacts as I clicked twice). Currently I have some more serious problem with my P1801. The thing is that I can not switch between Win8.1 and Android. It looks like there is no Android OS on Pad and when I press OS change button I can only see dark screen and when I press and hold for a while "power" buton I only get Asus banner "Pad Mode" and the screen turns dark again. I also noticed that I do not have any access to shared part of disc.
    If anyone of you guys has got similar problems please let me know how to find the solution to this as currently I can only use PC Mode without possibility of portable use.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    AiO P1801
    Liked
    6 times
    I think that just about everyone with a p1801 can confirm the mouse scrolling issue. When I was looking up reviews back in October before I purchased mine, that was the one thing that stood out, i.e. mouse scroll wheel sucked. I don't mind it anymore but I've just become accustomed to how it works. I use it all the time while remote (out of the home).

With regard to the tablet charging, I have had mine fully depleted. I plugged in my charger thinking that I would be able to re-start the tablet and keep working while it charged. But the tablet would not power up until it reached a sufficient charge level. I did not want to wait so I docked it into the base and was able to use the monitor immediately. What I'm saying is that in my experience, the tablet does not require a charge to be used as a monitor when docked. I can also confirm that my tablet did charge while docked but your comment is making me second guess myself. I may test this to confirm the results.

I have not experienced any of the other two issues with Windows Explorer and the sluggish Android app screen. The Windows issue doesn't surprise me but he Android one does. Is your Windows environment sufficiently protected with good antivirus software?

I would recommend the updates to the latest Android version and Windows 8.1.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links