Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    AiO P1801
    Liked
    10 times

Bluetooth and wireless driver update.

I posted this in the Modding thread, but figured it might be easier to find here:

My original question:

Has anyone figured out what flavor of Bluetooth driver to use with this system?

On the ASUS site, I see the AZUREWAVE and LiteOn BT driver updates, but the Windows device manager only lists the BT chipset, which is Qualcom Atheros (not Realtek) as I recall. Was wanting to update the BT driver as I noticed a mention of it being outdated when running powercfg /energy

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    AiO P1801
    Liked
    10 times
    And my solution:

OK, I think I figured it out with some digging. Looking at the photo of my wireless/BT card, it looks like the Azurewave products (shape of the shielding plate on top). There are two AW drivers/cards supported, one is the CE123 and the other is the NB097. So digging around, I found the CE card uses the Broadcom chipset and the NB card uses the QualComm Atheros chip set. I think the Liteon card uses this same QC chipset. So you need to look up the Bluetooth device in the Device Manager screen and see what chipset is listed. Then load the right driver of the 3 listed. Same goes for the wireless drivers.

Also, I found the ASUSsetup program did not seem to work right, I instead ran the setup.exe in the CD install subdirectory, that seemed to run fine.

Also, not sure but it seems the Bluetooth package might includes the wireless drivers. The BT package is close to 200MB and the wireless package is much smaller and when I installed it after the BT was installed, it said something about being the same driver version. I opted to remove existing and reinstall the updated driver, but in doing so, you will lose any wireless profiles you have saved. So perhaps no removal is required.
    Last edited by 4Crawler; 12-31-2013 at 12:25 AM.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    AiO P1801
    Liked
    6 times
    After reading your post yesterday, it was coincidental that Microsoft released a new BT 4 driver for Windows. I believe it was listed under the "Optional" updates but don't remember for sure.

My system uses the Qualcomm Atheros AR9462 chipset for both the Bluetooth and the Wireless Networking. I figured that these were both on the same chip in the P1801. At one point, I remember scouring the web for these drivers. I found some but the sites were pretty shady so I opted to just leave well enough alone. Do you have any advice on where to download these drivers? Preferably from a trusted site? The Qualcomm site does have architectural info about this chipset but does not offer drivers.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    AiO P1801
    Liked
    10 times
    I just found them on the ASUS site:
    - ASUS Service | North America

I find the auto scan does not work all the time, so I just pick the all-in-one section in the manual search, then either 18" or the Windows 8.1 AIO drivers.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    AiO P1801
    Liked
    6 times
    After digging through the Asus website, I found updated drivers for both Wireless LAN and Bluetooth. What I noticed is that if I search for drivers using the P1801 or AiO keywords, I get a list of drivers that are fairly out of date. But, if I go to the service.asus.com site and search for "Bluetooth" or "Wireless" instead of P1801, I get a list of Bluetooth and Wireless drivers across all of their supported devices. Doing the search this way, I was able to download Qualcomm Atheros Bluetooth drivers for Windows 8.1 x64 as recent as 12/25/2013 (v8.0.1.312) and Qualcomm Wireless LAN drivers as recent as 10/30/2013 (v10.0.0.260).

From the service.asus.com site, click Downloads. Then, in the Model Name Search field, type Bluetooth or Wireless instead of P1801 or AiO. Your search will be filtered by the word Bluetooth and Wireless and you'll see many more options.

The Wireless drivers updated very easily whereas the Bluetooth drivers were a bit more fickle. The install failed the first time but ran successfully the second. Patience is a virtue with the Bluetooth driver suite. I can't say that I notice anything new after performing the update but having updated drivers is typically a good idea.

Thanks to 4Crawler for the tips above.

***UPDATE***

I also found very recent software and drivers for the Realtek HD Audio components using this search method. I'm sure that I will find updated LAN and Intel chipset drivers too.
    Last edited by djlott; 01-02-2014 at 02:21 PM.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    AiO P1801
    Liked
    10 times
    I don't think I noticed too much difference with the new drivers, either. But the powercfg command does not complain about them any more. It seems that whoever is tagging drivers with what system they apply to must not be doing a thorough job. I find if I select all-in-one PC, then the Win8.1 drivers, there is a pretty good list shown.

Wish ASUS did a better job with an automated driver update system. I've had Gateway PCs prior and there you could log in, auto-scan your system and it gave you a list of all the updated drivers and utilities for your system.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    AiO P1801
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Crawler View Post
    Wish ASUS did a better job with an automated driver update system. I've had Gateway PCs prior and there you could log in, auto-scan your system and it gave you a list of all the updated drivers and utilities for your system.
    Totally agree with your comment. Asus is 1 out of 5 stars on driver support. And what's even more annoying is that they don't provide any information about what the driver or app is for.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links