Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    AiO P1801
    Liked
    6 times

Splashtop "Connect failed" switching to Windows 8

When I first got my P1801, the mode switching function worked perfectly. Meaning, I could press the mode switch blue button (or the soft key in Android) it while the tablet was docked or undocked, and it would swap OSes as expected. At some point along the way, the mode switch function broke slightly. I can still switch between OSes but there is an extra step.

When the tablet is docked, all mode switching works perfectly. No issues or hiccups there. However, when undocked, there is an issue switching from Android into Windows 8. When I perform a mode switch action (pressing the blue button, pulling the tablet out of the doc or using the Splashtop soft key), Splashtop launches as expected. Then, there is a slight "flash" on the screen (as if it's attempting to connect) and then a message displays that reads "Connect failed". The interesting thing is that I can immediately finger-tap the entry for my Home PC and Splashtop will make the connection. I realize that this is minor but it does add an extra step to the mode switch process and it takes away from some of the cool factor.

I have done several things to try to repair this and none of them have worked. This included contacting Asus twice via chat but they were not helpful. I have updated the Splashtop Streamer on the Windows 8 side and tried installing the free Splashtop Personal from the Android Play store (among other things) but none of this has worked. I have not yet tried a factory reset of the Android tablet although I probably will soon and will update this post.

I'm not exactly sure when this happened but I have a feeling it was when I updated the Android version (via the official Asus download for P1801) to 4.2.1. During that time though, I was also downloading a bunch of Windows updates for the P1801 too but I have a feeling that this has nothing to do with the Windows side of Splashtop.

Does anyone else have this issue?

-Don

***UPDATE***
    I tried to perform a factory reset. The situation improved but not by much. The "Connect failed" message no longer appears. In fact, no message appears whatsoever. Pressing the blue Mode Switch button only launches Splashtop but it does not attempt to make a connection to the remote base station. I suppose this is better than getting an error everytime. This is regardless of whether I let Splashtop autodiscover the remote base or whether I input the remote base IP manually.

Also, I just updated the Android tablet firmware to version 10.6.1.22.5 which was released on 10/21/2013. I was hoping this would fix the issue but it hasn't. In fact, now when I lift the tablet from the base, nothing happens. When I lift the tablet, normally Splashtop would at least launch. Now it just stays on whatever screen or app I left it on. I did check to make sure I have the Auto-switch checkbox enabled in the Asus Customized Settings dialog box. It is checked.

Is anyone else having any issues with the blue "Mode Switch" button?
    Last edited by djlott; 10-22-2013 at 04:13 PM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    AiO P1801
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi, I do have problems with Splashtop too.
    When I startet with the AiO everthing worked ok -- I could pull the tab out of the base and after some second there was a connection via splashtop.

Now there is no reaction --- the screen just remains black, when I pull the tap out.
    I can switch to Android -- I can start splashtop the same effect.
    On the upper left corner there is a message, showing that the tab is connected to the Win8 base with a correct IP adress.
    Sometimes Splashtop is showing " ..... already connected to another device ....."

I can push the blue switch and I'm back to Android -- after using the blue swizch again I'am back on a black screen.
    I started Win8 and Android new -- reinstalled the Splahtop softwar on Win8 --- no success !

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    AiO P1801
    Liked
    6 times
    Sometimes I get the black screen when switching to Windows 8.1 (undocked). All I do is touch the screen and the desktop appears though. It has never been permanent. It's probably more of a Splashtop issue than anything else. I was running (what I thought was) the latest version of the Splashtop Streamer (2.4.5.2) on Windows 8.1. But I did a quick check on the Splashtop website and found 2.5.0.1. I just updated seconds before posting this so perhaps that will help with some of the black screen issues. Only time will tell.

***UPDATE***
    OK I can confidently report that updating the Splashtop Streamer on the Windows 8.1 side to version 2.5.0.1 will do absolutely nothing for the black screen switching issue. In fact, it seems to have gotten worse. That said, a single tap on the screen brings up the Windows desktop. Annoying but I can live with it.
    Last edited by djlott; 01-25-2014 at 01:05 PM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    AiO P1801
    Liked
    0 times
    The problem is probably the upgrade to windows 8.1. I saw the same exact issue after the window 8.1 update.
    I went on Google and found that some people are having issue with splashtop applications after window 8.1 update.
    So since I just got my P1801 not too long, I just follow the thread "Best way to wipe pc? " from disguise and set everything back to stock conditions, and the problem is fixed.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    AiO P1801
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrickchung View Post
    The problem is probably the upgrade to windows 8.1. I saw the same exact issue after the window 8.1 update.
    I went on Google and found that some people are having issue with splashtop applications after window 8.1 update.
    So since I just got my P1801 not too long, I just follow the thread "Best way to wipe pc? " from disguise and set everything back to stock conditions, and the problem is fixed.
    Methinks the problem lies with the Firmware update from the original factory one to 10.6.1.22.5.

My tablet, purchased 2 weeks ago, was running perfectly even switching to Win8.1 (did the update online no problem at all) and all no problem. The Wifi on the PC section shows excellent connection at 300 Mbps.

However the tablet keeps dropping out after I did the ASUS Firmweare update to 10.6.1.22.5. and now will only ever connect at a max speed of 130Mbps, even while docked and the PC is showing 300 Mbps, and both units sitting next to the router. I installed Network Signal Info Pro v2.60.26 and when I toggle the WiFi Off and then on I get full bars though only at 130 Mbps. After a while (3 to 5 mins) the Wifi completely drops out and reconnects after a minute but at varying speeds - from 40 Mbps to 100 Mbps. I have called ASUS and done a Factory reset 3 times which does NOT reset the Firmware. Even after this, while the tablet was restoring from Google, it would drop out and the restore would fail.

I have a log of this produced by Network Signal Info Pro which I sent to ASUS and finally they are taking my PC back to check it out and maybe reset the Firmware back to the original, which although is an older version OF JellyBean, the Wifi appears to work fine.

If you are still in warranty, get in touch with them. They are helpful, and your PC should work reliably since you paid a premium for it.

I will report back here on this forum what happens, when I get the PC back from ASUS.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links