Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    AiO P1801
    Liked
    6 times

Upgrading to Windows 8.1

Over the weekend I decided to upgrade my P1801 AiO to Windows 8.1. I opted to perform the upgrade by downloading from the Windows Store. This performed an upgrade as opposed to a fresh install. I'm only posting this to give others confidence that the procedure is mostly safe to do. Proceed with caution and a good backup though.

Overall the process was fairly straight forward. I even started it in Remote Windows mode although eventually I was forced to connect to the base to complete it. There were two things that came up. Both were correctable.

1) On the desktop in the lower right corner, there was a watermark that read: Windows 8.1 SecureBoot isn't configured correctly. This was in-fact true. There is a BIOS setting that needs to be changed on the P1801 for SecureBoot to work properly with Windows 8.1. I don't remember exactly how this process went but it was similar to: Reboot the system, go into the BIOS, select Boot menu, security (perhaps) and then change the Security drop down to Windows instead of Other OS. Restart and the problem goes away.

2) After the upgrade, I did notice that several programs, but not all, appeared somewhat blurry; most notably Chrome. And the blurriness changed depending on the monitor that I was using (I have the default display as well as an HP w2207h via HDMI). Apparently the blurriness was being caused by the new "Scaling" feature in 8.1. I don't know too much about the feature other than Windows will dynamically scale application size (and perhaps resolution?) based on the monitor you are using. Fine by me but not at the expense of blurry applications.

To correct the blurriness issue, I "checked" the Let me choose one scaling level for all my displays checkbox. This is found in the Control Panel | Display dialog box. I have mine set to 150%. After setting this and signing out/in, all looked good.

I've only been using 8.1 for 1 day now however I am happy with the update. All of my apps continued to function and there are some nice improvements to the OS.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    AiO P1801
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi I've had the same issues that you listed (as well as FIFA 13 trying to run in 3D for some strange reason).

I've also had an issue with ethernet and wifi connectivity in web browsers (everything else internet related works fine, p2p, updates, dlna server etc.).

Just wondered if it's something you've come across (although I have wondered if it's something to do with the secure boot issue)

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    AiO P1801
    Liked
    6 times
    I haven't had any WiFi connectivity issues however I have not tried direct Ethernet either. The issues that I have is that my blue button no longer automatically mode switches to Windows any more when the tablet is disconnected. When I press the blue button (while remote), it will bring up the Asus version of Splashtop but will not automatically make a connection. I have to touch the selection in Splashtop to get the session to connect. This issue is on the Android side though. I was hoping that yesterday's Android firmware release to 10.6.1.22.5 (found under the Windows 8 section of the Asus Service site) would fix the issue but it did not.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    AiO P1801
    Liked
    0 times
    I've not had any issues with the splashtop stuff at all.

I think I've fixed the internet issue by changing the dns settings but we'll see what happens for now.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    AiO P1801
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi, When you say you got the watermark error message, did it indicate Build 9600 as well? I tried to go to Bios but it didn't let me change to Windows, in fact, I didn't see that option under security boot.
    I've updated to 8.1 once last week then reverted it back to windows 8, then it corrupted my Asus MX suite and Transformer AIO even after refresh/reset the whole computer. Then after I fixed those programs, I tried to update to 8.1 again and tried to go to Bios and fix the blurry text. Still the same. So I reverted it back to windows 8 again. Now I'm scare of upgrading to 8.1.

Quote Originally Posted by djlott View Post
    Over the weekend I decided to upgrade my P1801 AiO to Windows 8.1. I opted to perform the upgrade by downloading from the Windows Store. This performed an upgrade as opposed to a fresh install. I'm only posting this to give others confidence that the procedure is mostly safe to do. Proceed with caution and a good backup though.

Overall the process was fairly straight forward. I even started it in Remote Windows mode although eventually I was forced to connect to the base to complete it. There were two things that came up. Both were correctable.

1) On the desktop in the lower right corner, there was a watermark that read: Windows 8.1 SecureBoot isn't configured correctly. This was in-fact true. There is a BIOS setting that needs to be changed on the P1801 for SecureBoot to work properly with Windows 8.1. I don't remember exactly how this process went but it was similar to: Reboot the system, go into the BIOS, select Boot menu, security (perhaps) and then change the Security drop down to Windows instead of Other OS. Restart and the problem goes away.

2) After the upgrade, I did notice that several programs, but not all, appeared somewhat blurry; most notably Chrome. And the blurriness changed depending on the monitor that I was using (I have the default display as well as an HP w2207h via HDMI). Apparently the blurriness was being caused by the new "Scaling" feature in 8.1. I don't know too much about the feature other than Windows will dynamically scale application size (and perhaps resolution?) based on the monitor you are using. Fine by me but not at the expense of blurry applications.

To correct the blurriness issue, I "checked" the Let me choose one scaling level for all my displays checkbox. This is found in the Control Panel | Display dialog box. I have mine set to 150%. After setting this and signing out/in, all looked good.

I've only been using 8.1 for 1 day now however I am happy with the update. All of my apps continued to function and there are some nice improvements to the OS.
    Last edited by bleufee; 10-30-2013 at 02:09 PM.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    AiO P1801
    Liked
    6 times
    @bleufee
    Quote Originally Posted by bleufee View Post
    Hi, When you say you got the watermark error message, did it indicate Build 9600 as well?
    Yes there was a build number and I believe it was 9600. Are you using the latest BIOS from Asus? I'm using version 1004. I had no problem going in and changing the BIOS security setting to Windows from Other OS.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    AiO P1801
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi there,
    I guess i will need to try again. I followed the instruction from Asus live chat but they said build 9600 is only the preview version of Windows 8.1 and that's why I get the watermark. Anyways, I'm not so confident on updating it now. It corrupted the Asus MX suite after I recover back to windows 8 and I do use that program often. It's a dislike if I have to go through all the hassles again.
    @bleufee

Yes there was a build number and I believe it was 9600. Are you using the latest BIOS from Asus? I'm using version 1004. I had no problem going in and changing the BIOS security setting to Windows from Other OS.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    AiO P1801
    Liked
    6 times
    I believe 9600 was the RTM build number so I don't know that I would trust ASUS's opinion on that. I downloaded my Windows 8.1 update directly from the MS store and performed an in-place upgrade. When I open a command prompt and type winver, the output reads Version 6.3 (Build 9600).

That's interesting about the Asus MX Suite. Mine has never worked from day 1. It launches and then pop's up with a message saying "The program could not be started. It's possible that the installation folder is damaged. Reinstalling the program could remedy the problem...... This was well prior to Windows 8.1. In fact, the ASUS Easy Update and AI Suite II never worked correctly either so I have uninstalled them. I always figured that this was because I purchased a modded version of the P1801 and when they replaced the HDD with an SSD, the programs didn't migrate over in the System Restore process. I figured that I would download and reinstall them someday but when I think about it, I've never seen these programs offered in the download area for the system.

It looks like Asus is supporting 8.1 anyway. If you look in the driver download area, you'll see 8.1 32-bit and 8.1 64-bit in the dropdown list. The drivers are all the same as the ones posted under the Windows 8 64-bit but at least it seems like they'll be supporting the updated OS.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    AiO P1801
    Liked
    0 times
    A modded version eh? Where did you get it? I would love to have a SSD but it wasn't available so I gave up. I even had a difficulty to order this i7 P1801. All they had available was the i3 and i5 version before.
    A note to your Asus MX suite, try to find the setup file in the support of M51AC (asus desktop computer) M51AC - Desktops - ASUS. Reinstalling it might make it work for you. The problem is use to edit videos which usually costs quite a few bucks from Magix.

oh great, I'm going to try to update to windows 8.1 again. Which me luck.

I believe 9600 was the RTM build number so I don't know that I would trust ASUS's opinion on that. I downloaded my Windows 8.1 update directly from the MS store and performed an in-place upgrade. When I open a command prompt and type winver, the output reads Version 6.3 (Build 9600).

That's interesting about the Asus MX Suite. Mine has never worked from day 1. It launches and then pop's up with a message saying "The program could not be started. It's possible that the installation folder is damaged. Reinstalling the program could remedy the problem...... This was well prior to Windows 8.1. In fact, the ASUS Easy Update and AI Suite II never worked correctly either so I have uninstalled them. I always figured that this was because I purchased a modded version of the P1801 and when they replaced the HDD with an SSD, the programs didn't migrate over in the System Restore process. I figured that I would download and reinstall them someday but when I think about it, I've never seen these programs offered in the download area for the system.

It looks like Asus is supporting 8.1 anyway. If you look in the driver download area, you'll see 8.1 32-bit and 8.1 64-bit in the dropdown list. The drivers are all the same as the ones posted under the Windows 8 64-bit but at least it seems like they'll be supporting the updated OS.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    AiO P1801
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bleufee View Post
    A modded version eh? Where did you get it?
    I purchased mine from Amazon from Ultra Computer. They sell modded versions. I too wanted SSD, i7-3770K CPU and more RAM. Here's the Amazon link although I purchased a 256GB SSD (not 512).
    http://goo.gl/SdjVfZ

Good luck with your upgrade. Windows 8.1 has been running great for me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links