Thread: Modding the Stock P1801

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    AiO P1801
    Liked
    6 times

Modding the Stock P1801

Just a mod update for all those that are wondering if the P1801 can be upgraded from the stock Core i5 and 8GB RAM.

I actually purchased my P1801 from a dealer that had already modified the system. I certainly paid a premium for this but just couldn't pull the trigger on the i5 (had to have i7). I'm only posting this so that others know it can be done.

My system has the following hardware:

Intel Core i7 - 3770k quad core @3.50GHz
    16GB of RAM (2x8GB Modules)
    256 SSD (SanDisk)

Let me tell you all that this config is really really fast. The limitation is still the Video Card and I doubt that it can be upgraded since it's a mobile video card. I'll end up doing some gaming and so I think the video card will be fine for a while.

Here are my Windows 8 Experience Index ratings:

Processor: 8.0
    Memory: 8.0
    Graphics: 6.9
    Gaming Graphics: 6.9
    Primary hard disk: 8.1
    Total Score: 6.9

Don
    Last edited by djlott; 03-31-2015 at 10:42 PM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    0 times
    Do you know of any instructions on how to open it and mod it? Is it easy to open. Are there screws in the back?
    Do you think it can be upgraded to ac wifi?

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    AiO P1801
    Liked
    6 times
    I don't have any instructions on how to perform the mods. I purchased my system with the mods already completed. 5 years ago I would have done it myself but today, with kids (twins) and an overall busy life, I opted to just purchase the system with the mods I wanted. The price was fair. I did a comparison against the stock system with all of the upgraded components. It certainly would have been less expensive to do it myself but not by much (about $150).

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    AiO P1801
    Liked
    3 times
    Hi all, just joined to share my experience on upgrading components.

It's a shame that there isn't more info out there on our great AIO, I hope these forums become busier.

I have the i7 P1801 and was finding the 8gb memory just not enough for me.

It's easy enough to upgrade the memory (and hard drive and slot dvd if you wish), the back panel is clipped on and a pair of tweezers will release the middle clip where the fan exhaust grill is located in the centre of the back of the unit.

Then you will need to use a credit card or similar to slide along to pop off the rest of the back - there are NO warranty seals that I can see.

I'll try to stick a photo up I took with the back off (so I could remember where everything went), but it's pretty straightforward, there are a few things taped down, you will need to unscrew the left speaker and take off the metal plate to get underneath to the goodies! As I hope you can see, the memory is located just under the grill at the top left.

I went for this 2 x 8gb kit to upgrade the RAM, runs at 1600 on the P1801, not the 1866 clock of the SODIMMS.

• Corsair CMSX16GX3M2A1866C10 Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1866 Mhz CL10 Enthusiast Notebook Memory Kit , got it from Amazon UK for 108.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009PV1ELO/ (edit 08/11/13: up in price now, keep an eye on http://uk.camelcamelcamel.com/Corsai...uct/B009PV1ELO)

Took the Windows 8.1 upgrade and everything is running smoothly now! Should also say have been running the tablet rooted since day 1 using the "Motochopper" method from XDA forums - be sure to get the Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper app though before doing any updates from ASUS to make life easier!

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2228613

Love this machine, will whip a 1TB SSD in when the prices come down a little. Now back to reading some double page spread comics and mags on the tablet (my number 1 reason for getting this beauty).

Hope this info helps anyone swithering about taking a peek inside!

Inside_P1801.jpg
    Last edited by meherenow; 11-08-2013 at 01:12 AM.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    AiO P1801
    Liked
    6 times
    Great Update. Thanks for the pics. I have wondered if the slot DVD could be (easily) upgraded to a Blu-Ray player. Do you have any other pics to share?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    AiO P1801
    Liked
    3 times
    Sorry, no more pics, I only took that one in case I messed up putting everything back together.

I'm pretty sure you could change the slot DVD for a BD with ease, I was looking at that myself, but I would want a recorder and the prices for a slot, at least in the UK, is prohibative!

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    AiO P1801
    Liked
    0 times

Cool Help

Quote Originally Posted by meherenow View Post
    Sorry, no more pics, I only took that one in case I messed up putting everything back together.

I'm pretty sure you could change the slot DVD for a BD with ease, I was looking at that myself, but I would want a recorder and the prices for a slot, at least in the UK, is prohibative!
    Hi All,

I'm melimpio from Spain, and I'm a user of the Asus t. AIO.
    I'm looking forward to open the pc station to change the hard disk, but I'm afraid to do it wrong and break anything. I was trying it yesterday, but without success. So please meherenow, if you don't mind, could you please give me some more info about how to open the case?
    A picture or a better description of the process could help me a lot.

Thank you very much in advance

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    AiO P1801
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by melimpio View Post
    Hi All,

I'm melimpio from Spain, and I'm a user of the Asus t. AIO.
    I'm looking forward to open the pc station to change the hard disk, but I'm afraid to do it wrong and break anything. I was trying it yesterday, but without success. So please meherenow, if you don't mind, could you please give me some more info about how to open the case?
    A picture or a better description of the process could help me a lot.

Thank you very much in advance

Hi melimpio,

There's not much more I can add I'm afraid, if you look at the back of the base station from the top you will see the heat sink grill - right in the middle of this grill at the back of the unit you will see a black clip, if you push it down on either side of it this will release the clip from the case, I used a pair of tweezers to accomplish this.

Then, with a credit card or similar you can edge the rest of the back off by sliding the card along the back panel so that it releases the rest of the clips and the back will just pop off. Look at the bottom of my photo and you will see where the clips go into the base unit from the back panel (the bottom of the photo is the top of the base station when it is standing up normally).

The hard drive is located to the right of the fan on my picture, it sits right on top of the optical drive so is very easy to change.

Hope this helps!

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    AiO P1801
    Liked
    0 times
    Thank you very much meherenow, I've finally changed my HDD!
    Now the second step is to root the Tablet and also to find a custom rom to flash, but it's difficult to find sth for P1801...

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    AiO P1801
    Liked
    3 times
    Well done! I will certainly be upgrading the drive when 1TB SSD's come down in price.

I rooted my tablet on the first day using the "motochopper" method over at XDA forums.

[JB ROOT] motochopper works! (Root JB 4.1.1 & 4.2.1 with locked bootloader!) - xda-developers

As I posted originally I'd get the Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper because any firmware updates will knock the root off.

I'd be super careful about trying any modded ROMs (there aren't any to my knowledge anyway) as I'm pretty sure this would interfere with the Windows switching, leaving the blue button useless.

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links