Thread: Modding the Stock P1801

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    AiO P1801
    Liked
    6 times
    4Crawler,

You seem like a tech savvy user. Just curious, why are you using Connection Builder? I eventually uninstalled it from my P1801 base because it didn't seem to do anything that I couldn't do with the standard Windows built-in WiFi networking. Of course, I could be totally off on what this app is even for. I can't seem to find any info from ASUS on what this app is designed for but it looks fairly straight forward.

Also, they posted a FAQ regarding your sizing problem with Connection Builder and the resolution is to do exactly what you did, i.e. change the text size to 125%.
    ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support-

OK so about that PCI-Express card under the little flip up door. Where exactly are you seeing that? I've scoured the outside of my P1801 and can't find a flip-up door anywhere. Is this inside the case or outside?

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    AiO P1801
    Liked
    9 times
    Quote Originally Posted by djlott View Post
    4Crawler,

You seem like a tech savvy user. Just curious, why are you using Connection Builder? I eventually uninstalled it from my P1801 base because it didn't seem to do anything that I couldn't do with the standard Windows built-in WiFi networking. Of course, I could be totally off on what this app is even for. I can't seem to find any info from ASUS on what this app is designed for but it looks fairly straight forward.

Also, they posted a FAQ regarding your sizing problem with Connection Builder and the resolution is to do exactly what you did, i.e. change the text size to 125%.
    ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support-

OK so about that PCI-Express card under the little flip up door. Where exactly are you seeing that? I've scoured the outside of my P1801 and can't find a flip-up door anywhere. Is this inside the case or outside?
    I guess I may try un-installing CB as well, it just seems to pop up from time to time, I guess whenever the wireless connection changes. Mine seems to switch back and forth between the 2.4 and 5.8GHz bands on my router. Seems like a brain damaged program, does not follow any modern UI protocol nor does it seem to remember any previous settings.

I saw the little access door inside the case, under the left speaker. Right next to the other connectors, there is a round hole in the sheet metal where the RF antenna connection would go:

Here is a picture with the case open:

Last edited by 4Crawler; 12-17-2013 at 05:06 PM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    AiO P1801
    Liked
    1 times
    Hi all,

New to this forum. Just bought the i3 version at newegg for $899 - $200 rebate (rebate in progress). Looking at many of the upgrades you guys have already done! Will do as money provides. Just reading up on the tech info and what others have done. I'm pretty psyched about what you guys have already accomplished!

Besides the popular SSD and Memory upgrades, I've also been looking for info on a tv tuner upgrade as mine did not come with the tuner card. The only applicable part I could find was from a site in Europe. I'll post the link if I can.

http://www.asusparts.eu/en/partfinde...nsformer/P1801

I think it was ~77 euro? Not sure if I'm reading it right. Looks like i'd have to drill a hole in the back plastics to allow for the jack to stick out. I'll probably wait awhile for this one!

Another thing I've been researching is the possibility of activating / utilizing the on die hd2500. It sounds like once you install a discrete card, it shuts down or makes unavailable, the on die graphics.
    That in combination with Optimus tech if possible.

I was counting on this being possible so I could justify upgrading the cpu in the future. The HD4000+ series being the extra selling point. I guess I wouldn't really need that feature, though.
    I've never used optimus tech before. Will it just switch between on die and discrete or is capable of utilizing both chips at the same time as I've read some of the AMD series will do?

Regarding the memory upgrade; Speccy shows 4 slots with one in use at 4gb. I know some machines that use the same mobo for different versions will often just not install the parts necessary to load 4 simms in at once. Instead only having 2 slots. Could someone with i3 version confirm which is the case?

Lastly (for now :^)), I am going to be looking into using Splashtop to run win8.1 from a remote location as I'm away from home every couple weeks or so. I'm guessing that I'll have to set some form of port forwarding in the router to accomplish this? I have a little tiny bit of experience with this in the form of "Tversity". I set up a movie server so my whole family could access my digital movie collection. It worked pretty well while was using it. I digress; Has anyone done a remote (as in another city) access of the base station from the tablet?

Thanks in advance and keep the info coming. I'll be checking this forum frequently for all of your updates!

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    AiO P1801
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi all, im inclined to buy this pc, but the problem ofc is the graphics card since i'm a gamer. Other thing is making me mad is the option from big companies to not include "hdmi in" in tablets or transportable AIO...
    But in this particular case we have a docking port that not only supports video but also suports touch and other things.
    So the question is, can we dock this tablet to other pc/gaming console and have the same behaviour as this AIO?
    I think we need an external docking and convert the information to normal ports like usb3 (and/or HDMI)

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    AiO P1801
    Liked
    1 times
    I can try to connect to my kids xbox when i get home in a couple days.

I think you'd need a right angle hdmi cable, though, as the connection is on the bottom.

Otherwise you'd have trouble getting the tablet to stand up.

I'll report the results.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    AiO P1801
    Liked
    6 times
    Lastly (for now :^)), I am going to be looking into using Splashtop to run win8.1 from a remote location as I'm away from home every couple weeks or so. I'm guessing that I'll have to set some form of port forwarding in the router to accomplish this? I have a little tiny bit of experience with this in the form of "Tversity". I set up a movie server so my whole family could access my digital movie collection. It worked pretty well while was using it. I digress; Has anyone done a remote (as in another city) access of the base station from the tablet?
    @Lowmaintenance,

I can't speak to most of the topics in your post above (#23) but I can tell you the good news with regard to Splashtop. I posted a link about it in another post: Splashtop Personal - Windows 8 Remote from any Internet Connection. Make sure you read my 2nd post in the thread though. You'll see that I went through the trouble of trying the paid version of Splashtop without knowing that it was totally unnecessary.

The short of it is that Splashtop can link your tablet and the base unit via your/a Google gmail account. You enter your Gmail info on both the tablet and the Splashtop streamer app and when you're away, you will still be able to connect to your base over any standard Internet WIFI connection. I do this all the time at work and you shouldn't need to do anything with your home router unless you have your router's security settings set higher than normal. Also, the Splashtop software that comes with this AiO is free. Normally, you'd need to pay a $1.99 fee per month to get remote Splashtop access. In this case, ASUS hooked us up.

My biggest problem with this is that the WiFi antenna in my P1801 seems to be weaker than a laptop or even my Galaxy Note III. I added a mini OTG cable and purchased a USB Ethernet adapter so that I can get wired access. You can read that post here: http://goo.gl/LNqbwq. That works great for Splashtop from remote too. It's not like being at home with regard to the touch interface but it works.
    Last edited by djlott; 12-17-2013 at 12:08 AM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    AiO P1801
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by djlott View Post
    @Lowmaintenance,

I can't speak to most of the topics in your post above (#23) but I can tell you the good news with regard to Splashtop. I posted a link about it in another post: Splashtop Personal - Windows 8 Remote from any Internet Connection. Make sure you read my 2nd post in the thread though. You'll see that I went through the trouble of trying the paid version of Splashtop without knowing that it was totally unnecessary.

The short of it is that Splashtop can link your tablet and the base unit via your/a Google gmail account. You enter your Gmail info on both the tablet and the Splashtop streamer app and when you're away, you will still be able to connect to your base over any standard Internet WIFI connection. I do this all the time at work and you shouldn't need to do anything with your home router unless you have your router's security settings set higher than normal. Also, the Splashtop software that comes with this AiO is free. Normally, you'd need to pay a $1.99 fee per month to get remote Splashtop access. In this case, ASUS hooked us up.

My biggest problem with this is that the WiFi antenna in my P1801 seems to be weaker than a laptop or even my Galaxy Note III. I added a mini OTG cable and purchased a USB Ethernet adapter so that I can get wired access. You can read that post here: Mini USB 2.0 to Ethernet Adapter / What's This Port For?. That works great for Splashtop from remote too. It's not like being at home with regard to the touch interface but it works.
    Thanks for info. I'll get on that when i get home.

I did see the post re: the ethernet setup.

I do notice what others have stated about the weak wi fi. Mine seems a little better than what others have described.
    I believe asus recommended a driver update. Not sure if that will help or not.
    My brother bought the transformer prime when it first came out and had trouble related to bad antenna placement / restrictive tablet material blocking the signal. Again, my seems usable as is. Not great, but usable. I guess a speed test will give the answer.
    I'll do that when at home so i can compsre, directly, against a laptop, ipad2 and ipad mini.

Off to read your other post. Thx for the spladhtop info.

EDIT: i realize streaming sessions require a better signal to be functional.
    I was able to use a basic architec program with scetchy results. Usable, though.
    Last edited by Lowmaintenance; 12-17-2013 at 12:33 AM.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    AiO P1801
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowmaintenance View Post
    I believe asus recommended a driver update. Not sure if that will help or not.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I'm all up for a driver update. Are you referring to a tablet driver WiFi update? I believe I'm running the latest tablet firmware that ASUS has released to date (10.6.1.22.5). I don't know of any other way to update just the WIFI drivers in the Android tablet. Advice?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    AiO P1801
    Liked
    1 times
    Yes,

Thats what i was referring to.

I did the update early, so I'm probably not a good witness as to if it actually helped or not.

I just have an older linksys model 54?? Something with b,g,n. I have charter 30mb service with base upstairs streaming downstairs.

I am able to run programs, watch movies streaming from online and then streaming to my windows session.

I use Steam for gaming. It's definately to laggy to run from my downstairs. I'm interested in seeing if it will be possible remotely with ethernet dongle you have!?

I do have the base pc hardwired to the router.

Will run some speed tests when i get home in a couple days and report.

? I wonder if it would be possible to swap in a better wi-fi card? I will definately have to check into that as well!

LOL, I'm still in the thinking stage. Months behind you guys. I'll get there. Just need some time!

EDIT: Wait. What am i talking about? I'd have to open the tablet for an antenna upgrade!?

Not sure I'm up for that just yet ( not daring enough in my old age, lol )!

Still, I'll look into the possibility.
    Last edited by Lowmaintenance; 12-17-2013 at 05:18 AM.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    AiO P1801
    Liked
    9 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowmaintenance View Post

Besides the popular SSD and Memory upgrades, I've also been looking for info on a tv tuner upgrade as mine did not come with the tuner card. The only applicable part I could find was from a site in Europe. I'll post the link if I can.

http://www.asusparts.eu/en/partfinde...nsformer/P1801

I think it was ~77 euro? Not sure if I'm reading it right. Looks like i'd have to drill a hole in the back plastics to allow for the jack to stick out. I'll probably wait awhile for this one!

Regarding the memory upgrade; Speccy shows 4 slots with one in use at 4gb. I know some machines that use the same mobo for different versions will often just not install the parts necessary to load 4 simms in at once. Instead only having 2 slots. Could someone with i3 version confirm which is the case?
    Wish there were a photo of that tuner would like to see how tall it is. Avermedia makes some ATSC PCIe tuners that might work if there is room.

On my i3, two SO-DIMM slots, I can't recall the slot numbers that show memory installed, but various apps will show 4 "slots" but inside there are only 2 physical slots. Assume the "4" is coming from a chipset query. Picture of mine, w/ one 4GB stick in there and the other slot empty:

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links