Thread: Modding the Stock P1801

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    AiO P1801
    Liked
    6 times
    Meherenow,

What is it that you do with your P1801 rooted? I understand rooting and how it can be useful with phones and such. I have only done it on one phone in the past but have not yet "seen the light". I'm struggling to figure out how rooting this particular tablet would give you something that you can't get otherwise from the market or other means. Perhaps this is a good subject for a new thread. Would you post something about your Rooting experience with this and how you use it with the P1801?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    AiO P1801
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by djlott View Post
    Meherenow,

What is it that you do with your P1801 rooted? I understand rooting and how it can be useful with phones and such. I have only done it on one phone in the past but have not yet "seen the light". I'm struggling to figure out how rooting this particular tablet would give you something that you can't get otherwise from the market or other means. Perhaps this is a good subject for a new thread. Would you post something about your Rooting experience with this and how you use it with the P1801?

Number 1 reason - ad blocking.
    Number 2 reason - restricting some of the crazy permissions most apps seem to want, like reading my contacts list or seeing my location on some game, er, no thanks.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    AiO P1801
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi meherenow,

I've tried many times to root my P1801 but I can't. I've checked it with the root checker app and it doesn't work. Do you remember if you have to modify sth in the USB drivers? I've followed the instructions (USB debugging, etc). but I don't know if there's sth that I do wrong.
    I run the exploit, but when it finishes, the tablet reboots but the root is not working.
    Do you know if I'm forgetting anything?

Thanks in advance!

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    AiO P1801
    Liked
    3 times
    You'll need to make sure you have the Asus ADB driver installed, check on Google for it, I can't remember where I got it from.

Check in Device Manager in Win 8, you will probably see an exclamation mark when you are running USB debugging and the ADB driver isn't installed.

edit: I refreshed my memory by looking back at my post on XDA forums motochopper thread, "Had to manually search for the debugging drivers within Windows 8, the tablet was docked, obviously this serves as the USB connection." according to myself, so I would try that, just try to update the driver (in device manager) and it should hopefully install.

Good luck!
    Last edited by meherenow; 11-15-2013 at 01:44 AM. Reason: info

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    AiO P1801
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi meherenow,

I have the Asus P1801-b037k AIO and have been trying unsuccessfully for several weeks to root it.
    I tried motochopper - as suggested - and it failed trying to install supersu and busybox.
    The adb drivers look fine and seem to be working. Could the problem be with the -b037k version
    of the tablet?

Any suggestions for rooting this tablet would be much appreciated.

Goldle

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    AiO P1801
    Liked
    3 times
    Sorry, I haven't really any more suggestions other than following the motochopper thread over at XDA forums. This is actually my second P1801 (problem with the original retailer, not the unit itself) and I easily rooted both of them following the instructions. It shouldn't matter your model number, that only relates to the hardware in the base, the tablets are all the same.

I seem to remember some fiddling with the blue button though, you definitely need to switch between windows and android a few times while the process is happening, have the tablet docked of course.

The problem here is that the tablet needs to be connected by USB to perform the root and this is obviously obtained by having the tablet docked, not actually connected by a USB cable as would be the norm (being docked IS the usb connection). So I defo think the blue button is the key here to allow the root to take place, because Windows is always running even when you switch, but Android is not until you take it off the dock. (I run mine straight off another monitor via HDMI and have the tablet mostly on Android unless I need to extend the screen if I'm watching footy for example on the tablet screen while working on the other in windows - you cannot switch to Android while docked and continue to use Win 8 because the keyboard and mouse are then only usable in Android)

GOOD LUCK!
    Last edited by meherenow; 11-15-2013 at 02:14 PM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    AiO P1801
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi meherenow

Thanx for your reply. I did manage to attach an external hdmi monitor and wireless keyboard and mouse so that
    I can use windows and android at the same time. But no luck with the motochopper exploit.
    All goes well til I get the msg: Rooting phone... This may take a few minutes.
    Immediately I get the msg: Failure Cleaning up Exploit complete

So I will head over the the motochopper forum at xda and see if I can figure out why the failure.

Thanks again

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    AiO P1801
    Liked
    0 times
    In the motochopper forums it was clear that there is no exploit at the present time for
    the kernel version 10.6.1.22.5 for Android 4.2.1.
    To root the P1801-T now, it appears that you should not upgrade from 4.1.1 to 4.2.1 as I did.

Anyone know how to downgrade from 4.2.1 to 4.1.1?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    AiO P1801
    Liked
    3 times
    Just fired a Crucial M500 960GB into this beauty - just used Macrium Reflect Free edition, but had to reduce the partitions manually as the free app doesn't allow that, all going well, much faster, 2 seconds to boot to Windows, nice! ( not that this affects me as I am mostly in sleep when off..)

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    AiO P1801
    Liked
    9 times
    Just added an 8GB DDR3 SO-DIMM (Amazon.com: Crucial 8 GB DDR3 1600 MT/s (PC3-12800) CL11 SODIMM 204-pin 1.35V/1.5V for Mac (CT8G3S160BM): Computers & Accessories) to my B054K model going from 4GB to 12GB. System detected it fine, enabled dual channel memory access and seems to be working fine so far. With the upgrade to 8.1, I lost the WEI rating, but found out how to run that (winsat formal) and found the memory score goes from 7.2 to 7.5 by enabling the dual channel mode with the 2nd memory stick. Looking at the underlying numbers, single channel speed was 11.4GB/s and dual channel was 13.2GB/s. so about a 16% increase.

Also plugged in a 64GB micro-SDHX card into the tablet and that also worked great. Upgraded the OS to Windows 8.1 Pro w/ Media Center and will be using the system as a combination set top box/TV screen when I ditch my Direct TV boxes next month. I have an infrared Windows MCE remote plugged into one of the USB ports and that works great to control the screen.

Really pleased with the low power this setup uses, about 40 watts idling, a little over 50 when displaying an HDTV program, 32 watts with the display off, and about 8 watts in sleep mode. This is with the i3 CPU, I imagine the faster processors burn up a little more power when running. But it looks like the supplied 200 watt power brick is over sized by a fair amount. Since the power consumption is lower, I may try out a car adapter for a laptop to run this thing off my solar battery system, they have those in 19.5 volts/4.2 amps, which should be enough to run this system. And the lower power requirements should make it easier to find a replacement power brick easier, lots of 80w-100w used laptop supplies out there.

One problem I have run into is the Connection Builder app seems to ignore the Windows text scaling and if you increase text size beyond 125%, that application's control buttons are off the screen and inaccessible. So you can enter the wireless password but you can't seem to hit the OK or Cancel buttons to get out. The Tab key won't move to the next item in the window, so you pretty much have to kill that app and change the text size to 125% or less and then re-run it.

On a side note, does anyone know what that little pci-e mini-card is under the little flip up door? It has a black wire labelled Main that runs under the fan and a white wire labelled Aux that runs over to a black device on the lower edge of the case. It looks like that pci-express slot is where the optional TV tuner would plug into. - FYI the card is the wireless/bluetooth combo card.
    Last edited by 4Crawler; 01-06-2014 at 10:20 PM.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links