Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    AiO P1801
    Liked
    10 times

Interesting SSD option.

Ran across this on Amazon:
    - Amazon.com: MyDigitalSSD 128GB (120GB) 50mm Bullet Proof 4 BP4 50mm mSATA Solid State Drive SSD SATA III 6G (120GB)(128GB): Computers & Accessories

Up to 240GB SSD in the mini-PCIe slot in the P1801, without losing the hard drive:

51vnr6kSkYL._SX425_.jpg

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    AiO P1801
    Liked
    0 times
    That IS interesting. Lots of uses for an additional drive - backup, OS boot, etc.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    AiO P1801
    Liked
    0 times
    can it be installed and used as the booting disk?
    Want to try if it can work that way.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    AiO P1801
    Liked
    10 times
    Looks like it may do that, they mention Dell and Lenovo laptops:
    - mSATA SSD | Solid State Drives | MyDigitalSSD.com

Probably best to ask the mfg:
    - Contact Us | MyDigitalSSD.com

I have a TV tuner card in my spare slot so my system is full.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    AiO P1801
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by iouforever67 View Post
    can it be installed and used as the booting disk?
    Want to try if it can work that way.
    I would imagine so. I have a colleague that did this exact thing in his Lenovo laptop. He added one of these small SSD flash cards, transferred his C: drive and then used the existing internal laptop drive as a storage drive. He said the difference in performance was huge.

Now I'm not claiming you can do the same here but Windows 8 is a fairly flexible system in these regards. If it's viewed as a hard drive, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to boot from it unless the BIOS of the P1801 prevents it for some reason. I have a traditional SSD in my P1801 already and it's smoking fast. Still, I'm considering the 64GB version of this little flash card just so I can separate the OS from certain apps and data. What would it gain me? Probably little in terms of performance. But the cool factor would go up for sure . For $64 bucks, you (almost) can't go wrong.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    AiO P1801
    Liked
    0 times
    Is there any BIOS settings to activate the mini-PCIe TV tuner card slot if my model didn't include the tuner?

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    AiO P1801
    Liked
    10 times
    Is there any BIOS settings to activate the mini-PCIe TV tuner card slot if my model didn't include the tuner?
    No BIOS settings for mine (AverMedia A321 ATSC Tuner). Just loaded the drivers (apparently need to do that prior to installing the card), then pop the card in and boot up. From what I can find, the AverMedia PCIe card drivers are specific model(s) of cards. Some of the drivers seem to support a few models of cards, others only a single model card. So they seem to key off some internal product code on the card. If the driver code does not match the card code, nothing happens.

I think these mini-PCIe cards are all OEM'ed versions for ASUS, HP, Dell, etc. (i.e. AverMedia does not sell these cards retail). So my guess is that AverMedia supplies a generic driver to the OEM and they customize it for their specific card model. So my A321 card shows up as an "Integrated HP HDTV Hybrid TV Tuner" under Device Manager (no mention of A321 or AverMedia). So the key things are to make sure and get a card that tunes the type of TV signals you want to receive (ATSC, QAM, DVB-C,-S,-T, etc.) and then be sure to get one that either comes with a driver or that has a driver you can download some place.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    AiO P1801
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for the details.
    I think I'm ready to go for the mSATA SDD install.
    I'll give an update later.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    AiO P1801
    Liked
    0 times
    I had to ask ASUS before wasting my $$$, so sent a technical query and they replied that mSATA SDD is not supported at that extra slot.
    ASUS Korea is well known to be very poor in technical support and they might have provided wrong information to be safe on their side, but
    now my upgrade project to mSATA SDD is in halt. Until somebody trys it and proves it works.

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    VivoTab Note 8
    Liked
    233 times
    I had to ask ASUS before wasting my $$$, so sent a technical query and they replied that mSATA SDD is not supported at that extra slot.
    ASUS Korea is well known to be very poor in technical support and they might have provided wrong information to be safe on their side, but
    now my upgrade project to mSATA SDD is in halt. Until somebody trys it and proves it works.
    Unless the slot is specifically for mSATA and the BIOS supports it then it's not to be confused with a regular Mini PCIe slot as they are NOT!!! the same thing!

Basically, there's a few types...

1) The older and now obsolete Flash_Con that was originally used in the early Eee PC's and some other netbooks like Dell's... they're not impossible to find but were sold deceptively as Mini PCIe SSDs and thus I list them to note you still have to be careful not to buy one of those, though chances are small these days...

2) The Traditional Mini PCIe slot that like regular PCIe has PCI channels, power, and USB pins but also comes in limited version for just Cellular modems or similar cards that just use the USB pins, and thus are partial Mini PCIe slots...

3) mSATA is a industry standard that uses the Mini PCIe form factor but uses none of the pins... instead it uses standard SATA pins and just wires them into the Mini PCIe pins to allow SATA SSDs to be used in Mini PCIe form factor, thus don't confuse them with regular Mini PCIe slots as they won't offer any PCI bus, etc pins!

There are PCIe bus SSDs, hard to find for Mini PCIe but they exist... mSATA is just the dominant offering in that form factor and you have to be very careful to make sure your system actually has a mSATA slot and not either a regular full or partial Mini PCIe slot!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links