Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Interesting SSD option.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    AiO P1801
    Liked
    5 times
    Well thank you nobody for replying. As it turns out, it IS a mini-PCIE slot and I was able to utilise it to install a mini-pcie SATA controller card. I've cut away some material inside the machine to house the new ssd and to locate the parts, and in BIOS changed settings in the boot menu to recognise the add-on card and all works great. Cover snapped back on, 120GB SSD for system, stock 2TB HDD for data and stock DVD for giggles. Such fun.
    Have a great life!success.jpg

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    AiO P1801
    Liked
    5 times
    FYI Photo of back of p1801 cover removed, SSD location, speaker reinstalled. Photo of butchered stock sata/power cable cut with scissors to connect power splitter and good quality sata cable. Photos of SATA Mini-PCIE controller, sorry about the flash!
    20150714_201548.jpg
    20150714_201619.jpg
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]8671[/ATTACH
    ]20150714_201711.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    AiO P1801
    Liked
    10 times
    Good work, it looks nice. Would love to try that but my slot is filled with a TV tuner card for now. Too bad ASUS had to use that first slot for WiFi/BT, leaves only that single open slot.
    Last edited by 4Crawler; 07-17-2015 at 12:14 PM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    AiO P1801
    Liked
    0 times
    I, sir am mind blown. Just bought a Kingspec Mini PCI-E 128GB card what settings did you change to accommodate you JoelOz? I'm having some difficulty with my card being picked up. I've wanted to run two drives in this awesome PC since I go over a year ago!

Thanks

P.S. What card did you use? In case I can't get my Mini PCI-E SSD working. I do apologize for not following up sooner, I would of happily helped you with my misadventures on the mysteries of our Mini PCI-E slots, lol.
    Last edited by Crime; 08-16-2015 at 01:55 AM. Reason: Another question.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    AiO P1801
    Liked
    0 times
    Something like this will work and is similar to the OP's card:

Mini PCI-Express SATA 3.0 Expansion Controller Card - Black + Green - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

sku_337644_1.jpg

AFAIK and reading up on Google, you cannot connect the MSATA card directly to the port. You need the controller and a SSD.

However you don't need to throw the MSATA card away. You can get one of these (I bought one of these) and get blazing speed from your USB 3 port (I have a Kingspec 248gb card and get about 450mb/s reads).

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Alumi...363044008.html

Aluminum-HDD-Enclosure-USB-3-0-To-mSATA-SSD-Hard-Disk-Box-External-LS-721M-70834.jpg
    Last edited by bernbout; 08-17-2015 at 08:04 PM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    AiO P1801
    Liked
    0 times
    I purchased an actual Mini PCI-E Kingspec SSD not an mSata that I bought last year to try out and failed at getting to work as detailed in my earlier posts on these forums!

I'll post the different links for the purchased products to enlighten the situation, when I'm not on my iPad at 4 am lol.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    AiO P1801
    Liked
    5 times
    Yeah, similar to what was stated above, the one I purchased was from eBay http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...454018&alt=web
    There was a setting in the BIOS to enable its use. I have both the SSD and HDD running of the motherboard and the DVD drive now off the SATA card. Next goal is to install a second SSD and run OS X hackintosh off of it... For giggles mostly because the machine is totally useful now but I can't fight the urge to tinker constantly.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    AiO P1801
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by joeloz View Post
    Yeah, similar to what was stated above, the one I purchased was from eBay http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...454018&alt=web
    There was a setting in the BIOS to enable its use. I have both the SSD and HDD running of the motherboard and the DVD drive now off the SATA card. Next goal is to install a second SSD and run OS X hackintosh off of it... For giggles mostly because the machine is totally useful now but I can't fight the urge to tinker constantly.
    Hey Joeloz

Sent you a PM. Please ack.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    AiO P1801
    Liked
    5 times
    Sorry bernbout. Just sent you a reply.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    AiO P1801
    Liked
    5 times
    Also, IIRC when I first fired it up I am pretty sure a message came up in POST to say the such and such device wasn't recognised or something like that and I'm pretty sure it said which setting to change... everything happened so fast once I realised it was going to work (after having the computer sitting open on my desk for over a week trying to figure out how i was physically going to put everything in there...) I do remember it being very straightforward once it was reassembled. Goodness knows where I'm going to put the second SSD

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links