Thread: Interesting SSD option.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    AiO P1801
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by zeo View Post
    Unless the slot is specifically for mSATA and the BIOS supports it then it's not to be confused with a regular Mini PCIe slot as they are NOT!!! the same thing!

Basically, there's a few types...

1) The older and now obsolete Flash_Con that was originally used in the early Eee PC's and some other netbooks like Dell's... they're not impossible to find but were sold deceptively as Mini PCIe SSDs and thus I list them to note you still have to be careful not to buy one of those, though chances are small these days...

2) The Traditional Mini PCIe slot that like regular PCIe has PCI channels, power, and USB pins but also comes in limited version for just Cellular modems or similar cards that just use the USB pins, and thus are partial Mini PCIe slots...

3) mSATA is a industry standard that uses the Mini PCIe form factor but uses none of the pins... instead it uses standard SATA pins and just wires them into the Mini PCIe pins to allow SATA SSDs to be used in Mini PCIe form factor, thus don't confuse them with regular Mini PCIe slots as they won't offer any PCI bus, etc pins!

There are PCIe bus SSDs, hard to find for Mini PCIe but they exist... mSATA is just the dominant offering in that form factor and you have to be very careful to make sure your system actually has a mSATA slot and not either a regular full or partial Mini PCIe slot!

Thanks for the detail technical info.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    AiO P1801
    Liked
    10 times
    Good information to know, hard to find out about these lower level details as the mfg. supplied information is usually lacking in this respect.

The AverMedia mini-PCIe TV tuner card I am using apparently is a USB type PCIe card from what I have read. And yes the half card included in the system is also a WiFi/BT card, likely USB based as well.

I do see at least one ASUS laptop model listed in the supported hardware, but maybe that is the only one.
    Last edited by 4Crawler; 01-21-2014 at 11:11 AM.

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    VivoTab Note 8
    Liked
    233 times
    WiFi/BT cards actually use the full slot... normal Mini PCIe slot contains both PCI bus and USB pins in the 52 pin layout, so the WiFi/BT card just connects each part to the different pin... Meaning WiFi connects to the PCI Bus pins and the BT connects to the USB pins... Like a regular PCI bus there are multiple power and ground pins to power everything but limited to 3.3V... Pretty much universally the BT and Cellular Modems connect over USB but a Cellular Modem slot can also have some pins that basically connect to the SIM reader as how they differ from a standard Mini PCIe slot...

Combo cards aren't always common and they usually have dedicated BT (much smaller than Mini PCIe as it only needs USB and a few additional pins to turn it on and off) and Cellular slots (which looks like regular Mini PCIe slot)...
    PeterGalbavy likes this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Android 4.X
    Liked
    0 times
    I need help with what it may look silly, but haven't been able to find a solution at all.... looking for a solution for 2 weeks.

Have a y-500, added an SSD in the ultrabay w/ OS + programs and data on HDD.
    Have an extra mini pcie slot that would normally take an ssd, but don't need it...
    location.jpg
    Ordered and received a mini pcie to usb adapter that fits perfectly in that slot.....
    adapter.jpg
    Laptop won't even acknowledge is there
    Bios
    bios.jpg

HELP, please...

Thanks in advance.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    AiO P1801
    Liked
    0 times
    Anyone get anywhere with this? Specifically, adding a mini SSD to the PCIe slot? Would love to add one and boot the OS from there.

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    VivoTab Note 8
    Liked
    233 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jordebb View Post
    Have an extra mini pcie slot that would normally take an ssd, but don't need it...
    If it's an mSATA slot then you can't use it for USB because it'll only have SATA pins and not the normal Mini PCIe pins... They may look like the same kind of slot but the pinout is different!

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    0 times
    Anyone have any more info on this? I have a P1801 on the way, and I would love to install Windows 7 on an SSD and boot/work from there. I don't know if there is an extra drive bay, so unless I want to replace the 1 TB HDD (I don't), then this may be my only option.

Thanks.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    AiO P1801
    Liked
    0 times

msata ssd samsung 840 evo 250gb

Quote Originally Posted by TBurd01 View Post
    Anyone have any more info on this? I have a P1801 on the way, and I would love to install Windows 7 on an SSD and boot/work from there. I don't know if there is an extra drive bay, so unless I want to replace the 1 TB HDD (I don't), then this may be my only option.

Thanks.
    My system.

asus transformer aio p1801
    Stock i5 modded to i7 3770
    Samsung pro 840 512gb ssd
    wall mounted

Nope, doesn't work! Tried it out yesterday, asus customer service said it would probably work, but it didn't.

The output is 5v en msata works with 3.3v

the Msata heated up very quickly, so took it out. Didn't try other options yet.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    0 times
    Do you think this could do the job?

KingSpec NEW SSD 64GB DISK DRIVE PATA IDE Mini PCIE (KSM PMP.16 064MS) Solid State Disk for DELL Mini9 ,vostro A90 Free Shipping-in Internal Solid State Disks(SSD) from Computer & Office on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

It's PATA based, not mSATA, and meant for computers with a pure mini PCI-e interface such as the Dell Mini 9 which does not support mSATA.

It's not the fastest SSD on earth but it's cheap, and probably much faster than the p1801's internal HDD.

What are your thoughts?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    AiO P1801
    Liked
    5 times
    I'm sorry I'm bringing out the dredge, long-time reader and first post. I've been following this for ages because I bought this AiO when it was new ($1,800 from Harvey Norman)with the i7 and 2TB HDD. I thought at the time that it was such a shame that it didn't have an SSD because specs wise it should scoot along quite nicely. I use the tablet separately often when I take it into the classroom for short videos for small groups and whatever so as far as the niche goes, this computer is a perfect choice for me at the moment.

I had a thought and a theory, and I am prepared to be shot down in flames so don't worry about upsetting or offending me. I am a PC enthusiast but I don't really understand a lot about how they work short of what Google can tell me with some choice searches. I digress.

I was wondering about a few things, and if you have any spare time and are willing I'd love to hear about them independently.

i) If the dvd drive was removed and a HDD attached in its place (is that even a thing these days haha) would Windows pick it up as a HDD?

ii) Is the small slot that everyone is referring to definitely mini-pcie? certainly sounds like it if it's running at 5v

iii) If the slot is mini-pcie (ii) could you attach a mini-pcie to sata card in there and run either a HDD off of it or like in (i) have the HDD off the normal bus for the DVD and run the DVD off it? Booting wouldn't be too much fuss surely as bootable usb's make their way (so even if it was only recognised in windows, no biggie)(and it wouldn't be anything to pop the case off and put the DVD back as normal..)

iv) what about an internal usb 3.0 card like mentioned above, connected to an adapter then to a drive (bit of skullduggery but a way to work around possibly?)

Mainly I guess I just want to know more about this port and I can go ahead and waste money and figure some of these things out myself.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Joel

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links