Thread: Looking for Portable Battery Power for P1801-T

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    AiO P1801
    Liked
    6 times

Looking for Portable Battery Power for P1801-T

This may be a stretch but I'm looking for a way to recharge the P1801-T tablet with a portable battery. I carry this tablet out quite a bit and have run into situations where I've run out of power and don't have access to AC (airports, cafe's, etc.). I've looked up the tablet battery itself and it appears to be a 5136mAh battery. There are plenty of portable batteries that exceed this capacity but they can't provide the output required to charge this tablet in a reasonable time...let alone the fact that the tablet doesn't use a USB charging input. The part number for the tablet battery is C11-P1801 and eBay has plenty of pictures if that helps.

Of course, I don't want to disassemble my tablet to recharge it so I'm looking for a way to use my standard charging adapter to charge the tablet. I've looked around a bit but haven't seen anything that even comes close. It would be great if the portable battery could provide power the device while in use.

I realize that what I'm asking here may be a fantasy, (i.e. small, portable, lightweight, reasonably priced battery that can charge the P1801-T tablet while in-use), but people are creative and technology continues to evolve. I'm hoping the folks here in the forums can come up with a creative idea on how to do this. The charging input for the tablet is 19vDC 1.75A.

Any ideas?

***UPDATE***

Well as it turns out, 19V external battery packs DO in-fact exist. I was looking at two different batteries but they are identical and appear to be made by the exact same manufacturer...just re-branded. One was 20,000mAh by Anker and the other was 26,000mAh by Intocircuit. I opted for the 20,000mAh battery because I know the Anker brand name, it was eligible for Amazon Prime and the warranty was 18 months instead of 12 months. The Amazon link for the Anker is below. I'll post an update once I receive it and use it a few times.

Anker Astro Pro2 20000mAh Ultra-High Capacity External Battery
    http://goo.gl/eaSpUU

81s6vmeCWhL._SL1500_.jpg
    Last edited by djlott; 01-03-2014 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Added pics

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    AiO P1801
    Liked
    6 times
    I received the battery and charged it up last night. This is a great battery for the P1801T but it's not perfect. The main challenge is that it does not come with an adapter tip that fits snugly with the P1801-T. I did a LOT of research to figure out the exact tip size of the AC power adapter that comes with the P1801-T It's a 4.0mm x 1.3mm tip. Unfortunately that size is very rare. I don't want to do a "build it myself" project although I will if that's what it comes down to.

The good news is that this battery does output at 19v and charges the tablet very quickly. I'm using one of the provided tips (Tip G - 4.0mm x 1.7mm) but it's a fairly loose connection. If I so much as breathe on the connector, it will come loose and stop charging. Not ideal for travel.

I was hoping to post some charge times and the number of recharges that I could get out of a single charge but it'll have to wait until I can find a suitable cable adapter or tip for this battery. I believe that what I need is a 5.5x2.1mm Female to 4.0x1.3 mm Male DC Barrel Plug Cable Adapter or cable extension.

I'd really appreciate if anyone has any advice on this.
    Last edited by djlott; 01-07-2014 at 05:18 PM.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    AiO P1801
    Liked
    10 times
    Does sound like an unusual size plug, not listed below:
    -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coaxial_power_connector

One option would be to cut off the plug on the tablet power supply and then use that to make a custom adapter with some more common size plug. Then use that same size plug on the tablet supply so you can plug it back in if needed.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    AiO P1801
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Crawler View Post
    Does sound like an unusual size plug, not listed below:
    -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coaxial_power_connector

One option would be to cut off the plug on the tablet power supply and then use that to make a custom adapter with some more common size plug. Then use that same size plug on the tablet supply so you can plug it back in if needed.
    Roger,
    Thanks for the Wikipedia reference. It concerns me that even Wikipedia doesn't have any reference to that plug type. Now I'm second guessing myself .

With regard to your suggestion about building my own from the original Asus power supply, I'm partially following you here but not completely. Would you mind elaborating? Thanks.

djlott

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    AiO P1801
    Liked
    10 times
    Quote Originally Posted by djlott View Post
    Roger,
    Thanks for the Wikipedia reference. It concerns me that even Wikipedia doesn't have any reference to that plug type. Now I'm second guessing myself .

With regard to your suggestion about building my own from the original Asus power supply, I'm partially following you here but not completely. Would you mind elaborating? Thanks.

djlott

Chop off the existing tablet power supply connector, leaving a length of wire. Then pick up a standard size co-ax power plug and mating jack (i.e. get one that matches your battery pack). Connect the new plug to the end of the tablet power supply wire (the one you cut the original plug off of). Then connect the new jack to the end of the wire on on the original plug. Then you can plug the ASUS power supply into the jack and use the original plug or you can plug the battery pack into the original plug and use that. With the co-ax plugs, the center pin/socket is usually positive and the outside is ground, so just need to match up the polarity of the wires you cut.

Essentially you are just using the original plug to make an adapter with.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    AiO P1801
    Liked
    10 times
    Along these lines, I just picked up a Pwr+ 19.5 volt / 90 watt car adapter for system along with a plug adapter for the 5.5mm x 2.5mm power plug on the base unit. Plugged it into my solar battery system and viola, it works great. Running, the adapter pulls about 3 amps average (~41 watts) off the battery, spikes up to 6-7 amps (apparently the ~90 watt limit of the supply), with display off that drops to about 2 amps average (~27 watts). And in sleep/hibernation, the standby power is about 0.35 amps (~5 watts). This is with an i3 system.

The power adapter does get warm to the touch, but not much warmer than the 120 volt power brick. It also makes a faint, high pitch buzz, likely due to the internal switching DC-DC converter. I can only hear that if I put it next to my ear.

My goal with this 12 volt adapter is to power the P1801 off solar 100% if things work out. I mainly use this system as a TV/set top box replacement in my bedroom, so only sees an hour or two of use a day plus if I schedule any TV programs to be recorded, that on-time as well. With that sort of usage, the power adapter will pay for itself in year or 2. But is is nice that there is no need to go with a DC->AC inverter to run the OEM power brick.

With the right adapter, it should power the tablet just fine.

Here is a shot of the Pwr+ adapter plugged into the solar panel system. Charge controller is showing the system at 13.7 volts and 1.4 amps and that was the only device connected to the system at the time:

DSCF1736 (589x800).jpg

I currently have a pair of 60watt polycrystaline panels plus a pair of older 15watt amorphous panels charging a bank of 4 wheel chair batteries.

I plan on running a dedicated 12 volt power line into my bedroom (which is just on the other side of the wall in the photo above). Then can leave the P1801 plugged into that power 24/7, basically use it as an unlimited UPS.

If that proves reliable enough, I'll move all my TV recording schedules over to that system and then all the TV recordings will be done at no electrical cost. I just got the recorded TV manager software installed that then automatically moves all TV recordings to my NAS server so any PC in the house can then view the recorded program or movie. That functionality was one of my goals to reach before I dump DirecTV next month and finally start paying for the new PC and NAS with the $130/mo. subscription savings.
    Last edited by 4Crawler; 01-21-2014 at 12:45 PM. Reason: added photo of 12v adapter
    PeterGalbavy likes this.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    AiO P1801
    Liked
    10 times
    I saw an interesting power adapter kit at the local electronics store last night. Brand was Retrak and it came with about a dozen co-ax power plugs, all color coded. I looked it up on-line and while they list all the mfg. and model information of what the plugs fit, they don't list the actual sizes. But might be able to cross reference off that information and see if they have the right size:
    - Chargers

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Crawler View Post
    Along these lines, I just picked up a Pwr+ 19.5 volt / 90 watt car adapter for system along with a plug adapter for the 5.5mm x 2.5mm power plug on the base unit. Plugged it into my solar battery system and viola, it works great. Running, the adapter pulls about 3 amps average (~41 watts) off the battery, spikes up to 6-7 amps (apparently the ~90 watt limit of the supply), with display off that drops to about 2 amps average (~27 watts). And in sleep/hibernation, the standby power is about 0.35 amps (~5 watts). This is with an i3 system.

The power adapter does get warm to the touch, but not much warmer than the 120 volt power brick. It also makes a faint, high pitch buzz, likely due to the internal switching DC-DC converter. I can only hear that if I put it next to my ear.

My goal with this 12 volt adapter is to
    solar energy the P1801 off solar 100% if things work out. I mainly use this system as a TV/set top box replacement in my bedroom, so only sees an hour or two of use a day plus if I schedule any TV programs to be recorded, that on-time as well. With that sort of usage, the power adapter will pay for itself in year or 2. But is is nice that there is no need to go with a DC->AC inverter to run the OEM power brick.

With the right adapter, it should power the tablet just fine.

Here is a shot of the Pwr+ adapter plugged into the solar panel system. Charge controller is showing the system at 13.7 volts and 1.4 amps and that was the only device connected to the system at the time:

DSCF1736 (589x800).jpg

I currently have a pair of 60watt polycrystaline panels plus a pair of older 15watt amorphous panels charging a bank of 4 wheel chair batteries.

I plan on running a dedicated 12 volt power line into my bedroom (which is just on the other side of the wall in the photo above). Then can leave the P1801 plugged into that power 24/7, basically use it as an unlimited UPS.

If that proves reliable enough, I'll move all my TV recording schedules over to that system and then all the TV recordings will be done at no electrical cost. I just got the recorded TV manager software installed that then automatically moves all TV recordings to my NAS server so any PC in the house can then view the recorded program or movie. That functionality was one of my goals to reach before I dump DirecTV next month and finally start paying for the new PC and NAS with the $130/mo. subscription savings.
    It seems pretty reliable one..Thanks for sharing out the review and I would love to get similar charging system now..
    Last edited by DuanePadilla; 10-15-2014 at 02:21 AM.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    AiO P1801
    Liked
    10 times
    Thanks, I have not done much more with the P1801 DC power supply yet. I need to do some re-wiring of my solar battery setup outside my house. Part of that will be to fish a 14ga. cable into my bedroom where the P1801 is located and then I can hook it to 12VDC full time.

I have it running or should I say not running (i.e. hibernating) pretty reliably now. That would be the biggest downside of this if it were to "stay awake" all night, it could drain my present battery bank pretty low. I have my over the air TV signal amplifiers all on solar power now, so if the power were to go out, I could still use the P1801 as a TV (unless the outage took out the TV stations 10-100 mile distant). The P1801 is set up as a "smart TV" in my bedroom, so it only is run maybe an hour or two a day on average. It is set up to hibernate after 30 minutes of inactivity.

I have been steadily moving more and more of my household devices to solar power and in September, I just surpassed the 25% mark where I generated more than 25% of the power I used that month. I now have a few more panels up on my system since I first tested out that power adapter. I started up a YouTube playlist with some of the things I have done:
    - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...FEGg4uJdDB55eH

I'll be adding the solar powered P1801 to the list once I get the wiring done for that.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links