Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    AiO P1801
    Liked
    6 times

Lightbulb Logitech K810 Bluetooth Keyboard - Perfect Match

Hey everyone,

I purchased my P1801 mainly to work from the Windows 8 OS from multiple places around our house. It didn't take me long to start looking into Bluetooth Keyboards because typing using an on-screen keyboard just plain sucks. I had hoped that the stock Asus keyboard and mouse were Bluetooth and didn't require a dongle but that is not the case.

In my research, I found the Logitech K810. In my opinion, this keyboard is a stellar match for the P1801 (typing this post using it now). For starters, it is an Android / Windows keyboard so it contains hot keys for both OSes. The battery life on this is ridiculous awesome. In fact, I bought it from someone on Craigslist about 3 weeks ago. I've yet to charge the keyboard (via USB) and I use it daily for at least an hour (but usually longer). The keyboard is also back lit and was something I wanted; partially for the cool factor but also for the usability of back-lit keys.

The best part of it though, is that it truly allows me to be mobile with this tablet / Windows 8 system. I paired the keyboard with the Android tablet side of the P1801, not the base. When using Splashtop into Windows 8, the keyboard commands are passed from the Android tablet into the Windows 8 session. I can now easily reply to emails, type Word docs, etc. Even the Windows key will bring up the Windows Start screen.

Not all commands pass through though. Probably one of the most annoying things is the Alt-Tab. Android has its own Alt-Tab so when you type this sequence, the Android tablet picks it up and not the Windows session. This isn't a limitation of this keyboard though.

Overall, this keyboard is great for this purpose. I'm very happy ... especially since I grabbed it for $50 bucks on Craig's.

Don

***UPDATE***

Couple of updates about the keyboard now that I've been using for about 6 weeks. First, as I mentioned above, the battery life is ridiculous. I finally had to charge it last week which was roughly 5 weeks of using the keyboard. When I looked up how long the battery was supposed to last, the Logitech specs said 10 days with backlit keys ON, 1 year with backlit keys off. WHAT?!? 1 Year? WOW.

Ok so the second thing, and this detracts from the keyboard a bit, is that Bluetooth isn't perfect. I'm a fairly fast typist and I'm noticing something that happens (A LOT) with using the shift key. When I press the shift key to type the first letter of a sentence, or words in ALL CAPS, the shift key holds longer than I'm pressing. I don't mean that the button is sticking, I mean that the press of the Shift key (and perhaps others) transmits the shift function longer than I'm actually pressing it. SO I end up with WORds thats looK LIKe this when I'm typing. THis is just an example as I wouldn't normally press shift in the middle of a sentence unless typing the word "I". It is annoying that I'm constantly going back to fix words like the above for case correctness but still a very stellar keyboard. Like anything else, I've mostly adapted my typing to correct for this so it happens far less often than it did originally. So I guess it's not perfect but the best I've found.

Note: This happens on the P1801 regardless of whether I'm typing through the remote Windows session or into the tablet itself. What I'm getting at is that it's not a side effect of pairing a keyboard to the tablet and then typing through the remote session to Windows 8.1. This happens on my phone and when I'm just using the tablet for browsing.
    Last edited by djlott; 11-08-2013 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Update to keyboard

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    AiO P1801
    Liked
    0 times
    Another recommendation, Microsoft sculpt comfort Bluetooth mouse! The splashtop with P1801 allows to use mouse for right clicks, apparently other versions doesn't have that!

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    AiO P1801
    Liked
    6 times
    Good to know. I was looking at getting that mouse but in the end, I've been getting along just fine with the touch-screen and the keyboard. I'm going to update my post above with new info about the keyboard.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    AiO P1801
    Liked
    0 times
    I just read your update on the keyboard. It actually happens to me too. It often that some letters continuously if I type fast. sometimes when i type face and it goes like faceeeeeeeeeeboooooookkkkk .. kinda annoying but it happens to my iPad too so I don't know how that happens. I like using mouse for my remote windows just because I am not as use to the touchscreen on windows yet

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    AiO P1801
    Liked
    10 times
    Just picked up an 810 keyboard as well. Have not had much time to test it out, might do so this weekend on an out of town trip. My main use will be for at-night use with Media Center, so really wanted the backlit keys.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    AiO P1801
    Liked
    0 times
    I'm new to the forum and just received my P1801 from Amazon ($799) But didn't come with the keyboard and mouse. (They did give me a $40 credit) so I bough the K810 and love it. But I need a mouse too. Can the tablet or base connect by Bluetooth to a mouse at the same time? or will I need the dongle and another keyboard? Thanks for your wisdom. I have learned much from your posts!

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    AiO P1801
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by wbrend View Post
    Can the tablet or base connect by Bluetooth to a mouse at the same time? or will I need the dongle and another keyboard?
    The way you've worded the question is difficult to answer in a post but I'll give it a go. You can certainly pair a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse to both the base and the tablet. However, you can only actively use your Bluetooth keyboard and mouse on one device at a time.

So let's say you pair your keyboard and mouse with both the base and tablet and that you are sitting at your desk where the base is installed. Your mouse and keyboard will have an active connection with the base and when you type and perform mouse functions, they will show on screen. Now lets say you undock your screen and take your keyboard and mouse into another room, hoping to use them with the screen in Android mode. Your keyboard and mouse may remain actively connected to the base station instead of the tablet. Your BT devices will not be active on both the base and tablet at the same time. In this situation, anything you do would register with the base but not necessarily with the tablet. You would need to (Bluetooth) disconnect the mouse and keyboard from the base and activate the connection with the tablet to use the devices in Android mode.

I suggest you get a basic dongle-based keyboard and mouse to sit where your base station sits, and then augment the P1801 with a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse. Pair the BT keyboard and mouse with the tablet so that when you are in undocked mode, your BT keyboard and mouse ONLY pair with the tablet.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by djlott; 05-15-2014 at 11:33 AM.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    AiO P1801
    Liked
    10 times
    I've had decent results with Logitech wireless keyboard/mouse (trackball) combos with the unified USB dongle. I run them on my main work PC and on my media center PC. On the P1801, I run the supplied Asus dongle/kdb/mouse. Not sure if the system will work 100% with a non-Asus dongle, but since both devices show up as "HID compliant" input devices, I would think they may work the same. I like the selection of Logitech devices, like I run their lighted kbd. on my work PC and that is nice for night use. It also has a USB charge port for the internal battery, just plug it in every month or two and it is good to go.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    AiO P1801
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Crawler View Post
    Not sure if the system will work 100% with a non-Asus dongle, but since both devices show up as "HID compliant" input devices, I would think they may work the same.
    I'm with 4Crawler on the Logitech gear. I use a Logitech Keyboard/Mouse dongle system as my main keyboard and mouse for the base. It doesn't have all of the Android hot keys but I rarely used them anyway so I'm not missing them.

I actually carry the Asus Keyboard/Mouse w/ dongle in my travel bag. When I'm away, I plug the dongle into an OTG cable into the Mini-USB port in the tablet. Keyboard and mouse functions work perfectly in tablet mode and translate through when I connect to the Windows 8 tablet across the Internet.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links