Thread: Reviews & first looks - Asus Transformer 3 Pro

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2824 times

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2824 times

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Super Moderator & Spaminator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    240 times
    That pro version is interesting. I like that it can take 16GB RAM. I would obviously install Linux on it, if it's as easy as it was to do on a NEC with quite similar specs (or a bit higher specced) - but the NEC uses Intel chipsets only, which makes Linux easy. I suspect Asus would rather use those cheaper alternatives instead, and they're usually more quirky and tricky to work with.

AFX
    Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    15 times
    honestly, i am going to probably purchase the transformer 3 when it comes out. i have a zenbook ux305 and just love it. it never really leaves the house though because i am too paranoid that it will get damaged haha! i need a new transformer to take out with me for work purposes. i still have the t100ta but i need something that performs much better than this unit. i use software that could really use the extra CPU power. on the t100ta it runs great but because its installed on a micro SDXC card the transfer rates are slow (reader fault not the card!). it looks like the transformer 3 has balls. i would expect better but similar performance from it compared to my ux305. naturally, i would also get the pen and perhaps the dock too. been using a stylus a lot lately with the t100ta for drawing out floor plans among other things.

AFX
    Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    15 times
    am i the only one who is excited about these products should they be released? im surprised there is no discussion.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    5 times
    I have a TF300. Had it since release. Also got a TF101 at release. I was really hoping for an Android version of a new transformer. If I wanted a Surface I'd just get a Surface. There are TONS of options for a slim, transformer style Windows laptop. But nothing with Android anymore. At least that I know of. My TF300 is slow and laggy but I do use it some every day. Would love an updated version of that with a keyboard dock (not a kickstand floppy keyboard) that has it's own separate battery. Looks like that will never happen though.

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    VivoTab Note 8
    Liked
    233 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AFX View Post
    am i the only one who is excited about these products should they be released? im surprised there is no discussion.
    Product is going to take awhile to come to most markets, so until most can actually go and get it there won't be much further talk about it... Right now it's only available in maybe a few countries so far...

While others may be more interested in a possible Apollo Lake or Kaby Lake updates...

Quote Originally Posted by teegunn View Post
    I have a TF300. Had it since release. Also got a TF101 at release. I was really hoping for an Android version of a new transformer.
    The 2 in 1 market has shifted to primarily Windows now but the Transformer series isn't Asus's only 2 in 1 series...

Check out the upcoming Asus ZenPad 10 (Z300M) for a newer Android 2 in 1 option from Asus...

ASUS ZenPad 10 (Z300M) | Tablets | ASUS USA

Super Moderator & Forum Sleuth
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    1118 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tor View Post
    That pro version is interesting. I like that it can take 16GB RAM. I would obviously install Linux on it, if it's as easy as it was to do on a NEC with quite similar specs (or a bit higher specced) - but the NEC uses Intel chipsets only, which makes Linux easy. I suspect Asus would rather use those cheaper alternatives instead, and they're usually more quirky and tricky to work with.
    Hey Tor, I've got retirement approaching & what better time to dump Windows and get into Linux. I've recently installed Linux Mint (Cinnamon) on my Dell Inspirion on a dual boot. Everything went great and the test drive on Mint has me smiling with two thumbs up. So now I'm looking at another device to wipe the Windows on and install a Linux OS. (no rush...) But this Transformer 3 or the Pro has caught my eye, and with your comment quoted it's got me thinking. How viable is this 3 for a Linux OS do-ya-think? Maybe early to tell, but if you have any suggestions (even something to steer away from, I'm all ears). You can shoot me a pm if this is a thread derail. (Sorry folks) Cheers.

Super Moderator & Spaminator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    240 times
    Unfortunately I'm still at the same question level with respect to the 3.. I don't know which chipset it uses, and it would be useful to know the UEFI details - can the 'security' setting be changed, for example? Sometimes UEFI gives trouble with Linux installations, or at least limits what can be installed. I don't use or want Ubuntu, for example, and it would be a hassle to have to go via their secure-boot-signed installer for example (not sure exactly how that's done though, for that NEC I mentioned it wasn't an issue).

Time for some research, I guess. Just now I did a quick search, and it seems everything is Intel except audio (Realtek), touchpad (Asus), and card reader. Nothing show-stopping. In particular, the Intel wi-fi should work perfectly with Linux, although the Intel firmware will usually have to be installed first - usually not a problem.

Ultrabookreview.com says the battery life is a bit disappointing, and screen brightness too. Both are excellent on my NEC, and the wife's almost similar NEC has extreme battery time on Windows (mine has great battery time on Linux if I use something to keep the screen brightness high only when I actively use it). The weight of the 3 Pro is exactly the same as mine (749 grams), but that is *without* keyboard.. that weight is *with* keyboard on mine. And the NEC is a bit larger (13.x") (My NEC has a non-detachable, but very movable keyboard.)

The 3 Pro's I've seen reviewed have 16GB RAM (soldered), which is four times what I have.. I wish. That would be just the thing for today's memory-eating (in particular) web browsers. But it seems there are at least three variants (4GB, 8GB, 16GB, all soldered, so no upgrades). I'm not sure how easy it is to replace the SSD. That was very easy on the NEC, just off with the screws, lift off the super-thin lithium/magnesium alloy cover, the M.2 SSD was right there, so I just removed it and inserted a larger one of the same type as the original (Samsung M.2).

I haven't yet found any review about someone actually installing LInux on a 3 Pro though, but this was just a quick look around. People were discussing it and thinking it very feasible though.
    Last edited by Tor; 10-27-2016 at 06:16 PM.
    eejit likes this.

Super Moderator & Forum Sleuth
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    1118 times
    Thanks Tor, I did read the reviews that mentioned the screen brightness & the battery issue (as well as the noisy fan, jeezz) I'm sure there'll be more info as they come off the shelves. I may stick with Dell & just grab a smaller screen lap top, they seem to take Linux really well...I know I don't want to get snarled in the Nvidia tangle. But I'm just starting to explore this alley, gotta lotta reading to do. Cheers.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links