Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    1 times

Asus Padfone 2 + Stylus vs. Samsung Galaxy Note N8000 Tab + HM5000 Bluetooth Headset?

I’d like to get everyone’s thoughts on these two products. I’d prefer the Padfone with it’s separate phone functionality, but here in the USA it won’t work on 3G/4G (the N8000 will work on USA AT&T 3G) and who knows if it will ever make it to the USA with proper frequencies (The Padfone 1 never did. It would be nice to have Asus announce a release date for the USA so customers can make a decision to wait or move forward with their next purchase, but...).

Anyway, let’s keep the discussion to the Padfone 2 “docked” into it’s tablet vs. the Samsung 10.1 N8000 Phone enabled tablet, leaving the separate phone functionality out of the discussion. I think we all know the separate phone is a HUGE advantage to the Padfone 2; albeit at an additional ~$300 in price.

Here’s a specification comparison, but the Padfone specs are for the phone, not the tablet and we now know the frequencies listed for the Padfone 2 (A68) are not as stated:

http://www.comparephonesandtablets.com/compare/240/214/asus-padfone-2-a68-vs-samsung-galaxy-note-10-1-n8000/

In OTHER FEATURES at the end, note the ADDITIONAL items on the N8000. That package with Photshop seems very attractive. What is there that is not on the Padfone 2?

Also, will the Padfone 1 Bluetooth Stylus Headset combo accessory work with the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 N8000 as a Stylus and Headset? The Samsung HM5000 is only a headset, but the N8000 does come with a stylus.

ADDED: Just found the Samsung MH5100 Stylus Headset, so that solves that!
    Last edited by PadFoneDriver; 11-04-2012 at 10:29 AM.

BUC
    Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    5 times
    Wow, I really like innovation and usually am against patent trolling, but I do hope Asus patented the Stylus Headset (unless they didnt invented)... Anyway both seem to be really good, an office mate just bought the Note 10.1 N8010 (no sim card) and he is really happy with it...

IMO what the Note has over the PadFone2 is:

- Adobe Photoshop Pre Installed (And it is not downloadable by Play Store for the PadFone yet)
    - Split Screen for some apps to multitask.
    - Samsung tool bar apps, that makes another multitasking feature by using overlaying windowed apps such as calculator and quick notes.
    - MicroSD card
    - Stereo front facing speakers

Now, from what I've seen on the Internet, besides the obvious, PadFone over the Note is:

- Detachable phone obviously :P
    - Standard microUSB with "standard" MHL (what the Galaxy S2 uses)
    - Camera!
    - Excellent Audio Output (even if its mono speaker)
    - Almost vanilla Android, so that means faster updates (usually)

Anyway this is always up to the buyer... but I am willing to wait (and save some money) to get the US version of the PadFone

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks for commenting BUC. All good points.

I really like the neat split screen option and multifunctional S pen abilities; even the ability to make notes in E-textbooks. Another big plus of the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Phablet is the plethora of Samsung and after market accessories available. I'm sure Asus will eventually get there with specific accessories also...

(Edited this section out because GSMArena specs are not correct... I've stopped relying on them.)

Decisions, decisions...
    Last edited by PadFoneDriver; 11-10-2012 at 07:12 PM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    1 times
    Well, I took the plunge and ordered a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 WiFi/3G International N8000 Unlocked Phablet to give it a try ($619). It's $300 less than the Padfone 2 + Station ($919) on eBay currently. To me that means the Padfone 2 is currently about $200 over priced. At least I will see if the 10" Tablet form factor is something that I can use to my benefit and I won't have to deal with phone functions that don't work on the tablet itself, because the tablet IS the phone.

I will continue to watch how the Padfone 2(3) pans out here in the United States and may still consider it at that time.

ADDED 11/10/12: Rec'd and unboxed. Beautiful product. Thin and flat on the back. Very nice in all regards. Only difficulties so far for me is learning the touch screen (I have never used one before) and the Android operating system is also all new. The learning curve feels like a wall, but I'm sure once scaled it will be clear sailing...
    Last edited by PadFoneDriver; 11-10-2012 at 07:21 PM.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links