Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    0 times

Is anyone in the US using a Padfone (1)?

I'm very interested in ordering a Padfone 1 (looking at getting this package off Ebay). I'm wondering if anyone in the US is using one? I have a couple questions about connectivity and other stuff. From what I've read, it appears it won't connect to any 3g in the US, but it will connect to 2g? Is this correct? Will the charger plug into US outlets/power supply? Will it connect to wifi fine over here? Since I won't be able to make calls/texts, will VoIP services like Google Voice work fine? Any other issues I should know about? Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by dobbs507; 10-30-2012 at 03:09 PM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dobbs507 View Post
    I'm very interested in ordering a Padfone 1 (looking at getting this package off Ebay). I'm wondering if anyone in the US is using one? I have a couple questions about connectivity and other stuff. From what I've read, it appears it won't connect to any 3g in the US, but it will connect to 2g? Is this correct? Will the charger plug into US outlets/power supply? Will it connect to wifi fine over here? Since I won't be able to make calls/texts, will VoIP services like Google Voice work fine? Any other issues I should know about? Thanks in advance!
    You do realize that the Padfone "2" has already come out, right?

This is what I know... The A68 Padfone 2 has the same frequencies as the Padfone 1, so it will only work of the 2G GSM networks in the US (AT&T & T-Mobile). If it doesn't come with a US charging plug, you can use an adapter. WiFi should work fine, ALTHOUGH every specification listing seems to omit "WiFi Direct" in there listing (?). Normal WiFi options are listed, as well as, Hotspot WiFi.

Why do you think you won't be able to make calls? Padfone 1 & 2 will both make phone calls in the US on GSM networks just fine. I can't think of any reason why Google Voice or Skype would not work.

I don't know how you plan to use the Padfone, but if the detachable phone functionality isn't needed you might want to check out the Samsung Galaxy Note N8000 10.1 Tablet (International model) that supports voice calling and 3G data in the US on AT&T (only 2g data on T-Mobile). Combined with a Bluetooth Headset like the one Asus makes for the Padfone 1 or the Samsung MH5100, it might meet your needs...
    Last edited by PadFoneDriver; 11-04-2012 at 09:22 AM.

Ads