Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Capabilities of Padfone 2

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Asus Padfone 2
    Liked
    3 times
    Well I had the OTG cable at hand so plugged it into Padfone 2 Station and then plugged my USB pendrive into the cable. Notification message "External Storage Inserted" appeared and when tapped, built-in File Manager opens allowing easily switch between Internal Storage and the USBdisk1 (which appears to be under \Removable\USBdisk1, so without Root only accessible from built in file manager). Nice.
    BUC likes this.

BUC
    Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by schriss View Post
    It's the first revision, the one I used with S2.
    I'll try OTG cable tomorrow.
    Oh ok thanks. I guess I will sell my MHL for S3 soon then.

How do you like the PadFone so far? I still have to wait for an american network version

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Asus Padfone 2
    Liked
    3 times

Re: Capabilities of Padfone 2

Quote Originally Posted by BUC View Post
    Oh ok thanks. I guess I will sell my MHL for S3 soon then.

How do you like the PadFone so far? I still have to wait for an american network version
    That MHL might work too.
    So far I love it :-) I already like it more than HTC One X which I also liked very much, but simply got bored with it after few months.

Sent from my PadFone 2
    Last edited by schriss; 11-03-2012 at 06:53 PM.

BUC
    Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    5 times
    I dont think the MHL for the S3 works.. that one is propietary...

Anyway I read another post from you on a different forum that said the MHL Adapter worked directly to the phone, but not with the Tablet Station, correct?

The way I see it, the Station is already getting video input "ala" MHL from the phone... so I guess that it can't do a double video out, since it would be like plugging 2 external screens to the PadFone...

But you said you connected the OTG cable to the Tablet Station and it worked... so

You might have changed my mind once again into buying the PadFone once it comes out for America...

I was seriously thinking of waiting another year with my defective Atrix, after realizing that there will be no keyboard for this... But having standard MHL and OTG is actually useful enough for me.

Now I am trying to find a MHL compatible TV so I can just plug the MHL adapter without the power cord.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Asus Padfone 2
    Liked
    3 times

Re: Capabilities of Padfone 2

Quote Originally Posted by BUC View Post
    I dont think the MHL for the S3 works.. that one is propietary...
    I think there are two MHL chips, older and newer, S3 having the newer. So it needed new adapter. But it might still be backwards compatible with first revision. Just guessing... Some S3 owners probably tried connecting it to older devices, a matter of googling.

Sent from my PadFone 2

BUC
    Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    5 times
    I think there are two MHL chips, older and newer, S3 having the newer. So it needed new adapter. But it might still be backwards compatible with first revision. Just guessing... Some S3 owners probably tried connecting it to older devices, a matter of googling.

Sent from my PadFone 2
    I did, before my S3 was stolen... one of the first things I tried was to use the old MHL adapter of the S2 that a friend has... But it did not work.

The MHL in the S3 has a different layout of the pins...

MHL is not really a standard for a port, but more of a licensing for a technology of interface... a way to use the microUSB to carry video and audio data as well...

The good news then is that the PadFone 2 uses the "standard" MHL solution, which is compatible with HTC, Nokia, and earlier Samsung MHL devices...

The bad news is that there is no bypassing when plugging into the Tablet Station...

The weird news is that in most tech sites, they refer to the port in the PadFone 2 as a 13 pin "propietary"? MHL...

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Asus Padfone 2
    Liked
    3 times
    I meant to try to use new (S3) MHL adapter with older phone like S2. I've read that S3 is using new MHL chip (probably to give 2x times better refresh rate at full hd resolution). There is a chance the new MHL adapter would work with both: new and old phones. I wouldn't expect old MHL to work with S3.

Maybe Padfone 2 needs proprietary port because it's not only MHL it does, you also have hardware buttons on Padstation and of course the touchscreen, all of that has to go through that micro USB port. So it combines quite a lot into one little port and the fact it's still micro-USB compatible (for charging) is very nice.

BUC
    Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    5 times
    Maybe Padfone 2 needs proprietary port because it's not only MHL it does, you also have hardware buttons on Padstation and of course the touchscreen, all of that has to go through that micro USB port. So it combines quite a lot into one little port and the fact it's still micro-USB compatible (for charging) is very nice.
    You got a point there...

Hey, have you ever use the WiiMote Controller app? Its a free app from the playstore to allow most phones to use a Wii controller as a bluetooth "keyboard"...

It is usefull for some games and for Emulators... BUT what I actually use it for, is to control playback and general navigation through the interface of the phone while is connected to a TV...

I usually set it like this: (*)

D-Pad = Navigation Arrows (like those on a regular keyboard, they should work to select items, apps, cursor and with some phones it also select menu's options)
    "A" button = Enter
    "minus" button = Rewind/Previous Track (it works for music, and some video players)
    "home" button = Play/Pause (same as above)
    "plus" button = Forward/Next Track (same as above)
    "B" button = Back (set to go back from apps, menus just like the dedicated button on the phone)
    "1" button = Volume Up
    "2" button = Volume Down

I wanted to share this cause it is awesome to be able to control the phone when is plugged to the TV and the cables are short or just for confort.

It is yet another capability of most Android phones.

* To configure the application you have to go hit preferences, mapping options, 1st Controller mappings... (I recommend to make a different profile for each use. Such as Remote Profile, Nintendo Profile, etc)
    Last edited by BUC; 11-06-2012 at 09:18 AM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Asus Padfone 2
    Liked
    3 times
    Got the 5GHz network to work, finally
    Padfone 2 doesn't see first 4 channels, but works with channel 52 and all channels up.
    I've sent a support ticket to Asus, maybe they would enable first 4 channels, they are the most commonly used ones.
    When connected to 5GHz WiFi, it reports 150Mbps connection. Speedtest also shows increase, my peak was 51Mbps Download speed. My broadband is not a bottleneck here, its reported as 125Mbps.

Last edited by schriss; 11-08-2012 at 07:28 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links