Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    722 times

When coming to USA?

Is there any word on when the PadFone is supposed to be released to any carrier here in the States?
    Current Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition - Dell Venue 11 Pro Bay Trail (On Order) - LG Optimus G Pro

BUC
    Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    5 times
    There are rumors that AT&T will take it, but my guess is that they will wait 'til the rumored Asus PadFone 2 with LTE comes out.

The other problem is that AT&T stands against what the PadFone is doing, they dont want the regular user getting a device that doubles the features and cuts in half their data plan. AT&T wants you to buy a phone and also a tablet with data.

As it is, to my knowledge there is no US carrier that support the current PadFone 3G bands. I really don't know if T-Mobile's 3G support the 2100 MHz frequency.
    Jeffrey and evolvetek like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    722 times
    Somebody do the math for me on the research and development and manufacturing costs that Asus has got to be losing on these tablets that they keep churning out only to sell a few!

Padfone and Slider come to mind! Both were great ideas but poorly marketed and supported in my opinion!
    Current Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition - Dell Venue 11 Pro Bay Trail (On Order) - LG Optimus G Pro

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    16 times
    I couldnt' agree more. However, as soon as it was released world wide with it's current specs, I had a feeling it wouldn't be able to compete in the US market. It needs to have 4G now and a snappier version of the S4. I also think that more of the high end phones and tablets will start offering 2GB of RAM in the near future.

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    912 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickeylittle View Post
    Somebody do the math for me on the research and development and manufacturing costs that Asus has got to be losing on these tablets that they keep churning out only to sell a few!

Padfone and Slider come to mind! Both were great ideas but poorly marketed and supported in my opinion!
    In general, I would tend to agree...however....if 50% of the "guts inside" can somehow be leveraged in newer models..then the costs for a new shell and some other new components doesn't raise the manufacturing cost all that much per unit - and new models can be released.

Auto manufacturers have used this business model successfully for years....they come out with a "new model" each year....when under the covers....the newer model is not really all that "new".

The other part is that the Padphone, TF700, and other models seem to attract different audiences for customers.

All that said....it seems the "new and improved model" frequency is quite frequent.
    OWNER OF ASUS 64GB T100TA w/128GB microSD, and now running Windows 10

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    12 times
    I am disappointed that the padfone never came to north america, but I am also disappointed in the specs of it. It is definitely a great idea though.

Administrator
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    976 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BUC View Post
    There are rumors that AT&T will take it, but my guess is that they will wait 'til the rumored Asus PadFone 2 with LTE comes out.

The other problem is that AT&T stands against what the PadFone is doing, they dont want the regular user getting a device that doubles the features and cuts in half their data plan. AT&T wants you to buy a phone and also a tablet with data.

As it is, to my knowledge there is no US carrier that support the current PadFone 3G bands. I really don't know if T-Mobile's 3G support the 2100 MHz frequency.
    Not anymore. ATT just launched their All Share Plan. Multi Phones and Tabs all sharing one data plan

BUC
    Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    5 times
    Exactly... Now they might seem interested in the coming PadFone 2 like I said....

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links