Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By BUC

Thread: Some questions before jumping in.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    5 times

Question Some questions before jumping in.

Hello,

I need to confirm some technical information before buying this beauty, because I live at south america and my exchange currency is limited by the government, so I can't freely spend it.

1.- Is the PadFone compatible with microSDXC cards? those of 64GB and up.

2.- Can someone verify if its compatible with USB On The Go? by using a microUSB cable to female USB, for transferring data between flash drives or using USB peripherals, etc... (Many Samsung Galaxy phones and HTC do this)

3.- This is a long shot... but maybe an insider knows: Is this phone coming out with additional American bands for 3G, like those in the 1900 MHz frequency? THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT FOR ME, because if the answer is NO, I will buy it as it is... but if there is another version coming out, I rather wait for it, so I don't have to change my network operator.

4.- How does the Keyboard dock handle additional memory? meaning... Do I need to "safely eject" the SD card withing the software, before unplugging the PadFone from the Station?

5.- Has anyone tried HDMI straight from the phone? Does it do mirroring into a TV? Any stuttering during video playback?

Thanks for your time, and help.

Transformer Forums Legend
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    Let me give this a shot

1.- Is the PadFone compatible with microSDXC cards? those of 64GB and up.

Qualified yes many people have manged to use 128GB cards in their Transformers however I can only guess it would actually work in the phone.

2.- Can someone verify if its compatible with USB On The Go? by using a microUSB cable to female USB, for transferring data between flash drives or using USB peripherals, etc... (Many Samsung Galaxy phones and HTC do this)

Not positive on this. Standard USB flash drives and hard disks work but not certain about other devices. I suspect that if what you are trying to do works on the G'Tab it should work on the TF.

3.- This is a long shot... but maybe an insider knows: Is this phone coming out with additional American bands for 3G, like those in the 1900 MHz frequency? THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT FOR ME, because if the answer is NO, I will buy it as it is... but if there is another version coming out, I rather wait for it, so I don't have to change my network operator.

No answer here, sorry.

4.- How does the Keyboard dock handle additional memory? meaning... Do I need to "safely eject" the SD card withing the software, before unplugging the PadFone from the Station?

Most people have not had an issue just ejecting memory cards but they can be unmounted. There is no actual safely eject like you would find in Windows.

5.- Has anyone tried HDMI straight from the phone? Does it do mirroring into a TV? Any stuttering during video playback?

My suspicion is that it would work with nearly all TVs as it does with all current Transformers.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    5 times
    Great start leeshor,

Thank you very much for your input.

My intention is to replace my aging Motorola Atrix 4G with this wonderful Asus PadFone, and also complementing it with an Asus Notebook U46

I was very happy with my Atrix at first, but soon realized that the "laptop" functionality was severely limited by the lack of a touch screen, which is crucial for Android. So I waited until something like this came along... And the only thing holding me back is the lack of my network frequency...

Which is very strange since the HTC One X, Galaxy S3 and others with Qualcomm S4 seem to be allowing...

Anyway for all the other points in question, I can live without but it is great to know...

thanks again, hopefully I can become a helpful member of this community.
    leeshor likes this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    PadFone
    Liked
    0 times
    This may be a stupid question/s 1. In laptop mode can I connect a printer (I've never printed off an Android device) just like with a windows laptop? 2. In laptop mode can I connect an LCD projector (RGB adaptor)? 3. In Laptop mode can I connect a usb flash drive and or an external USB hard drive (How many USB ports does it have)? 4. I assume there is no dvd drive, can I connect 1 through the usb port? 5. Can this device replace my windows laptop (Dell inspiron) if not what are the drawbacks? 6. What is a good price for the entire set unlocked?

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    5 times
    Hi Steve, I also saw your post on GSMArena....

I don't have the phone yet, but from what I have read and researched, here are my best answers:

1. In laptop mode can I connect a printer (I've never printed off an Android device) just like with a windows laptop?
    This is very dependable on the app you are using. There are some good office and productivity apps that allow printing or sending to a bluetooth or wifi printer. I think the best Office app is Kingsoft

2. In laptop mode can I connect an LCD projector (RGB adaptor)?
    Doesn't seem to be any Video Out connection when using the docks (tablet or keyboard). But you can always take the PadFone out of the station and use a micro HDMI cable with a projector that support HDMI

3. In Laptop mode can I connect a usb flash drive and or an external USB hard drive (How many USB ports does it have)?
    This is a definitive yes. You can connect mouses, flash drives and external hard drive, BUT, the hard drive have to be formatted to FAT32 which means that it will only recognize up to 128GB of data.... so I only recommend plugging flash drives or SD cards as an external storage. It has 2 USB ports and 1 full size SD

4. I assume there is no dvd drive, can I connect 1 through the usb port?
    I really don't know the answer for this, and I would guess that you can't because it would need drivers that android does not have yet.

5. Can this device replace my windows laptop (Dell inspiron) if not what are the drawbacks?
    I am in the process of buying a powerful laptop because this is not a true replacement. But it all comes down to individual needs. I also want this phone with all of the accessories because the laptop will remain at home and will be shared with my wife, but I pretend to use the Asus on a more personal level. Also it can replace most of the features on a laptop, but not dedicated, specific programs such as AutoCad, PhotoShop, 3D editors, etc.

6. What is a good price for the entire set unlocked?
    Right now it sells from ebay at around $1000 for all the package plus an additional battery. I am keeping an eye close to see if the price drop a bit more.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    PadFone
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi Buc Thanks for the advice and your speedy reply. I think I'm sold on getting it.
    Quote Originally Posted by BUC View Post
    Hi Steve, I also saw your post on GSMArena....

I don't have the phone yet, but from what I have read and researched, here are my best answers:

1. In laptop mode can I connect a printer (I've never printed off an Android device) just like with a windows laptop?
    This is very dependable on the app you are using. There are some good office and productivity apps that allow printing or sending to a bluetooth or wifi printer. I think the best Office app is Kingsoft

2. In laptop mode can I connect an LCD projector (RGB adaptor)?
    Doesn't seem to be any Video Out connection when using the docks (tablet or keyboard). But you can always take the PadFone out of the station and use a micro HDMI cable with a projector that support HDMI

3. In Laptop mode can I connect a usb flash drive and or an external USB hard drive (How many USB ports does it have)?
    This is a definitive yes. You can connect mouses, flash drives and external hard drive, BUT, the hard drive have to be formatted to FAT32 which means that it will only recognize up to 128GB of data.... so I only recommend plugging flash drives or SD cards as an external storage. It has 2 USB ports and 1 full size SD

4. I assume there is no dvd drive, can I connect 1 through the usb port?
    I really don't know the answer for this, and I would guess that you can't because it would need drivers that android does not have yet.

5. Can this device replace my windows laptop (Dell inspiron) if not what are the drawbacks?
    I am in the process of buying a powerful laptop because this is not a true replacement. But it all comes down to individual needs. I also want this phone with all of the accessories because the laptop will remain at home and will be shared with my wife, but I pretend to use the Asus on a more personal level. Also it can replace most of the features on a laptop, but not dedicated, specific programs such as AutoCad, PhotoShop, 3D editors, etc.

6. What is a good price for the entire set unlocked?
    Right now it sells from ebay at around $1000 for all the package plus an additional battery. I am keeping an eye close to see if the price drop a bit more.

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    145 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BUC View Post
    Are you sure about the FAT32? All of the other TF's also understand NTFS format, such that the 128g limit is simply not there. I looked, but could find no definitive answer either way.
    TF101 B70 series, USA running Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.3, rooted. 64gb microSDXC, keyboard dock with 32gb microSDHC in an adapter
    Dell Streak 7 running Honeycomb 3.2, rooted. 64gb SDXC. Mainly used as a music player.
    Virgin Mobile Optimus Slider, rooted -- frequently used as WiFi hotspot. 16gb microSDHC.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_of_QF View Post
    Are you sure about the FAT32? All of the other TF's also understand NTFS format, such that the 128g limit is simply not there. I looked, but could find no definitive answer either way.
    Well that would be very interesting to see in this phone. I would love to have compatibility with external hard drive of massive amounts.

Anyway I thought it was like every other android phone out there without NTFS compatibility. Hopefully someone with the whole combo and an external Hard drive of +200 GB can confirm this for us...

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links