Thread: padfone transformer????

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    2 times

padfone transformer????

What if the transformer could be combined with the padfone ... !!!?? smartphone inside a tablet combined with a docking!! awesome!
    maybe a tf301?

what do you guys, and gals, think?
    All gave some, some gave all!

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    1000 times
    Personally, from what I have read, I don't think the Padfone will be a popular item. It's been discussed here at the Forum and the consensus is to keep phones and tabs separate

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    2 times
    actually, i think this is one first step towards crossplatform experience.
    Put the phone in the tablet, everything on a big screen. Then fasten the tablet 'transfomer-like' to a keyboard and start up windows.
    All with a single core. And as far as I can see it, it'll be only a matter of time until a nowadays laptop will fit into a smartphone (I see quadcore phones, ssd, ...)
    All gave some, some gave all!

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    744 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    Personally, from what I have read, I don't think the Padfone will be a popular item. It's been discussed here at the Forum and the consensus is to keep phones and tabs separate
    Remind me not to let you borrow mine no matter how much you beg me!
    Current Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition - Dell Venue 11 Pro Bay Trail (On Order) - LG Optimus G Pro

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I think this would be rather awesome idea with Ubuntu Android.

Imagine your using the phone on ICS as normal, Making/Taking phone calls and what not. Then you dock your phone in the tablet and you are now using the tablet version of ICS. You then connect the tablet into the dock and you have a full on Ubuntu Desktop with full integration with your phone. Then if you use your HDMI port out to a TV you get the Ubuntu-TV interface for media playback. I think this is where we are heading to. One Device to do it all.
    justin82 likes this.
    Meizu M9 - Android 4.0.3 (Ice Cream Sandwich)
    Asus Transformer TF101 - Android 4.0.3 (Ice Cream Sandwich)
    Nexus One - Android 4.0.3 (Ice Cream Sandwich)
    Custom Built HTPC - Ubuntu XBMC
    Custom Built Media Server - Windows 7 x64
    Samsung Laptop - Windows 7 x64

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    21 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    It depends. There is quite a bit of room for the "gadget" factor. Personally however I can see a lot more commercial room in enterprise / SMB scenarios rather than consumer scenarios. I also agree with caveats made elsewhere that the tablet element itself is in this concept much more the accessory than the actual phone part.

It would have been great if Asus had considered an alternate/seperate option of an App or Software component which could provide a bridge to link up Tablets and Phones (these independant of manufacturer, depending on Android functionality) but perhaps that is something third party devs will figure out in time. If they do, it could very well nibble away at the gadget factor for consumers.

Biggest key point is price, especially since from talk in Barcelona at the moment I am getting a strong impression that Asus appears to weigh the tablet + phone combination in that order. Whereas sofar most people who got to test and try it find themselves approaching this in the exact reverse order. As mentioned before, in the user perspective that translates commercially to the tablet being accessory to - and should thus be marketed and priced accordingly. Due to the combination however being very suitable in many enterprising scenarios, it would not be a bad idea for Asus to consider strengthening the attractiveness of that through system Apps, even services.

We'll see. It's still a bit away :P

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    i personally think it will work if they can keep the price low. but i could not afford to do this for example
    phone -300.00 ( contract price)
    tablet 200.00
    keyboard dock 150.00
    in essence your paying 650 for a phone you will likely replace in 2 years .. i would consider it if they could get total price to 400-500

prices are just guesses BTW

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    PadFone
    Liked
    38 times
    It already has a dock

pictures of Padfone and dock

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    30 times
    Quote Originally Posted by R3dSunr1se View Post
    actually, i think this is one first step towards crossplatform experience.
    Put the phone in the tablet, everything on a big screen. Then fasten the tablet 'transfomer-like' to a keyboard and start up windows.
    All with a single core. And as far as I can see it, it'll be only a matter of time until a nowadays laptop will fit into a smartphone (I see quadcore phones, ssd, ...)
    I agree 100%. It will be the same type of convergence we're starting to see with Televisions. It makes me wish I'd waited a little bit longer for a WiFi capable TV. But, buyer's remorse does that. In any case, a media box attached to the TV fixes that problem.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    24 times
    Windows 8.

Mobile devices are becoming more and more powerful. Originally, they were just mobile phones that you can carry with you anywhere (Not counting the early ones that can give you a hernia), then they were going online and acting as your all in one communications hub (email, SMS, phone, fax, internal, gps). Now they're powerful enough to run your common apps and store non-essential data (i.e. files you normally store on a device are now synched with the phone in lieue of a thumbdrive). It's now true personal computer. All you personal information is in there, as well as your work/productivity files. The only thing limiting it now are the OS and the Form Factor.

The ones out now are already powerful enough to handle office tasks like word processing, spreadsheets, cad, etc. The thing that's still limiting it, is the interface. Despite the transformer strongly resembling a netbook, it's basically still more of a tablet, than a working laptop. The thing that's limiting it is Android itself. It still lacks full compatibility with your home and office network. You can sync it the folders, but it's still pretty much a stand alone device. Now independency is a good thing, it means you aren't chained to a desktop and can work on its own, but some direct compatibility with the rest of the PCs on the network would still be appreciated.

If you put windows 8 on this thing, you'll have a fully hardware supported device in laptop mode (USB gamepad, printer, keyboard, mouse). Network accessability wise, Windows trumps android, accessing files over the windows network is as easy as accessing it from a local harddrive, not so with android, i'm hoping Windows8 brings in their network functions to ARM as well. Take out the dock, and it's still a windows 8 tablet. And if you need maximum mobility, leave the tablet and put your entire core system (CPU, RAM, Apps, Workfiles, Contacts, etc.) inside your pocket.

Or even better. How about a dock that turns the phone into a Windows 8 nettop. It's inevitable. Phones are getting more powerful and MS is putting in an ARM version of their OS.

That's a dock for the HP Slate that turns it into a nettop. HDMI/USB/Headset/Power. It's inevitable, mobile devices are becoming more and more powerful. With android, there's no distinction between a Phone and a Tablet. With windoes 8, there's no distinction between a netbook and a tablet (for the ARM edition anyway).

Will windows 8 ARM be robust enough to encompass a nettop, netbook, tablet, and phone?

This are my thoughts when it comes to the padfones concept.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    justin82 likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Ads