Tablet
    MeMO Pad 10
    Liked
    0 times

Nearly bricked ME301T after stock upgrade while booting

I have been searching a topic matching my exact situation but with no avail
    Here is my case:
    Memo Pad 10 ME301T
    It was on some old 4.1.1 firmware it was 10.5.4.something, if I am not mistaken
    I rooted it
    I downloaded firmware update 10.6.1.31 from ASUS website. I downloaded the correct version (my system was already on WW so I downloaded WW, not JP or US).
    I put the downloaded zip as it is, without renaming - without extracting (there is another zip inside this zip file it appears) and put it on external and internal SD card's root directory.
    While on normal android operation the tablet warned me that there was an update available so I tapped install update (without unrooting first). I might have tampered with 'wipe data' at this point, I am not sure.
    Now when booted regularly the tablet does not go past the initial ASUS logo screen.
    Vol down + power opens bootloader screen. There I am able to see that bootloader is indeed upgraded to 10.6.1.31.
    I had not specifically unlocked my bootloader but I ran 'fastboot oem unlock' in its current position and it returns 'OKAY'.
    Selecting recovery gives only dead android on its back. I tried unzipping the stock firmware I downloaded from ASUS, renaming it to EP201_1024_SDUPDATE.zip or EP201_768_SDUPDATE.zip but the dead android returns after the dodecahedron spinning inside android screen for a while.
    I tried 'wipe data' button several times after the tablet did not wake up the first time.
    When connected to PC only fastboot works no adb.
    In the original firmware when i booted into bootloader there were 4 options including USB. Now there are three, no USB. Only recovery, android and wipe data.
    Can you please advise? I am quite the noob so I don't wanna mess the device up beyond the point of no return.

Chief Customizer & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    Welcome (again) to the forum arjantin78
    Let me lead with telling you that the MemoPads are the Asus Android tablets I am least familiar with and that I never owned one. So take my advice for what it's worth.

The easy stuff: on JB 4.1 you had 4 icons in the bootloader menu on JB 4.2 you have only 3 because you automatically are in fastboot mode (which used to hide behind the USB icon). So you should be fine there.
    'fastboot oem unlock' works on Nexus devices not on this tablet. If you do not remember downloading an apk from Asus, installing it and running it, you are not unlocked - unfortunately.
    You could give this a shot:
    with the tablet in fastboot mode issue these commands:
    fastboot format userdata
    fastboot reboot

But even if it returns 'ok' it doesn't mean much. fastboot is not very good at error reporting..... But try it on the off chance that it may help. Some of the firmware upgrade went through, maybe it just stopped in the middle and corrupted your data partition in the process - hard to tell.
    Flashing with the renaming/microSD method you made sure the usual suspects did not apply: microSD is fat32, the zip is in the top directory?

Watch this video and tell me one thing: Ignore the rest but does this apply to your tablet?
    8. BOOT INTO RECOVERY MODE!
    8.1. Hold down the power on, and volume up (+) button.
    8.2. You see dead android and no command text.
    8.3. Fast and randomly pressed the volume up and power on button.
    8.4. In the recovery go to Apply update from external storage

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad 10
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks,
    format userdata did not do much good.
    The other advice had no effect either.
    I forgot to mention something important in the original post.
    I never saw the actual recovery screen on this tablet. Not on the original firmware nor now. It only shows the thingy spinning inside the android screen as if it is writing something and after a short while it goes to dead android screen.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    Can you get to the screen shown in the video?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad 10
    Liked
    0 times
    No, that was what I meant. I never saw the actual recovery even before the device got screwed up. When I chose RCK it has always been the dead android.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    Quote Originally Posted by arjantin78 View Post
    No, that was what I meant. I never saw the actual recovery even before the device got screwed up. When I chose RCK it has always been the dead android.
    The dead Android IS the recovery. Stock recovery cannot do much. It's designed to perform factory wipes and install original firmware - that's about it. What you see is the recovery searching for a valid update file and not finding it.
    That's all you get for an interface. Wipes are performed from inside the rom or the bootloader menu, flashing firmware is automatic if it detects the correct firmware file.
    On the dead Android screen, did you try to push power and Vol Up alternately and randomly?
    Oh, I forgot the link to YouTube, did I? Doh!

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad 10
    Liked
    0 times
    I already found the video and tried the recipe. No, the dead android persists while on the SD card there is the firmware downloaded from ASUS website, unzipped, renamed to ...768...zip

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad 10
    Liked
    0 times
    I only see the dead android, no command options appear on my screen. That's what I mean by I never saw the recovery. No 'update from sdcard' etc.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad 10
    Liked
    0 times
    I just tried this and got the error:

fastboot update E:\Downloads\WW_epad-user-10.6.1.31.zip
    archive does not contain 'android-info.txt'
    error: update package 'E:\Downloads\WW_epad-user-10.6.1.31.zip' has no android-info.txt

Anybody knows what this 'android-info.txt' business is all about and why the official firmware does not have it?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad 10
    Liked
    0 times
    I suspect my bootloader is still locked, so I cannot flash custom recoveries.
    Any idea how I can unlock it in my given state?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links