Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad 10
    Liked
    0 times

Memopad 10 destroying file structure my SD card files

I suppose that it is no surprise to anyone that Memopad 10 sometimes has trouble reading our SD cards. Recently, however, I have been having a problem where the system not only fails to read my SD card ("No Files found" or great parts o the folder structure missing), Gallery resetting itself ... etc, but somewhere along the way it has actually changed what is on the card and THOUSANDS of my files were taken off the file system and moved ... somewhere. It can be found on the computer using CHKDSK, but all of them have lost their information.

And this is with me having set all my files to Read-Only. And of course, I am not trying to write to the card, just reading it. The screenshot is me in the process of deleting thousands of orphaned CHKDSK files (I'll try moving the files on again, for what good it'll do).

Ideas, please?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    501 times
    May not help but..try reformatting the card on your PC and giving it a name...I chose Android but any name. See if that helps

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad 10
    Liked
    0 times
    Oh, I've tried that. After the thing went into a spell of not reading my existing SD (32G) card around Friday, so far I've:

1) Reformatted the old card using a camera and put everything back on. At this point, the tablet decided to refuse to recognize the old SD card as a card 9 out of 10 times, and the other time it quickly went into one of its "cannot read' modes.

2) I gave up on my old card, got a new one (32G to), used its existing formatting and stuffed everything on, and tried it. The Asus handle it better than the old one, but normalcy is still far away. The "inserted" notification keeps disappearing as if Android killed it itself. When it doesn't disappear, I get those folder structures of varying degrees of incompleteness degrading to "No files". That's when I noticed it was eating a few of my files (to be honest, I thought it was doing that before but before it was very occasional).

3) I reformatted it using a camera. Same

4) I used the computer to reformat it to NTFS. In addition to all the "usual" indications, I see some folders being interpreted as files of 0KB.

5) I resorted to the drastic measure of factory resetting my Asus. Better, not good enough.

6) I resorted to reformatting it back to FAT32 (hoping it'll be less strain) and putting everything on it again, and while I was waiting, I played with the old SD card (which is a SanDisk and computer has no problems reading it, of course). Tablet flat out refuses to mount it 9 out of 10 times. In one of those times, it managed to "lose" 90% of the files.

7) The new card finishes and I try it again. Better again, reads successfully ... FOR A LIMITED time (that is, it does not manage to rescan the Media on the SD card before failing - sometimes it barely starts). In one of the many attempts again I notice files missing by the thousand. That's when I put it up here.

8) After that, I decided to reformat to exFAT and AGAIN put all the files back onto the new card. Finished around 3:30am and let the tablet "digest" it unmolested. Hadn't looked at it real close but at least it was working on the way to work and according to my work computer the tablet hadn't eaten any files yet, but the cause of eating is unidentified.

Ideas?

Here are some extra information:
    On that SD, there are nearly 10,300 files in over 300 folders (about 27G). I've blocked off the folders the Media Scanner does not have to scan with .nomedia files, but that still leaves around 8250 files in 200 folders - these are music, images and vids so the scanner must access them.

I had been thinking whether I was just having too many files and going over some unwritten limit in Android for SD. But then, I've just tried a 4GB card in the office with only about 20 video files in it and it still lost the lock, so hmm...

Opinions?
    Last edited by arkhangelsk; 08-10-2015 at 05:57 AM.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links