Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times

Question Cannot connect to any wifi

Hi all,
    I'm trying to help my sister in law fix her Memo Pad.
    It's been working fine for a while, but recently it has refused to connect to any wi-fi network.
    I've tried everything I can think of, including searching all over here and elsewhere, but haven't found any sort if solution.
    I was able to update the OS to 4.2.1, but that had no effect on the connection issue.
    When wifi is enabled, I see my wireless network. It's a 2.4g network, no security. (For reference, we've tried many different connections, of various types, with and without security, and none of them will connect.)
    When I choose to connect to my home network, it tries, then drops back to "saved". I notice that when I attempt to connect, the signal strength drops from full (I'm 8 feet from the router) to very weak.
    Once it fails to connect, the signal jumps back to full.
    I had thought that maybe a custom ROM would fix it, but have been unable to get one installed.
    Without an internet connection, I'm unable to run the bootloader unlocker, or any of the apps that claim to be required steps to installing TWRP, ROMs, etc...
    Can anyone help?
    She can't really afford a new tablet right now, so I'm doing my best to help her.
    Thanks in advance for any assistance!
    -Elmojo

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2825 times
    Welcome to the forum

In the Master Help Guide (linked in my signature below) is a guide dedicated to assistance with wrieless connection issues. Take a tour through it & see how you get on.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for the welcome, but I'm not new here. Not sure why my post count has been reset, maybe because I've been away for a while?
    Anyway, I looked through the links in the master help guide.
    If you're referring to the "wifi can't get connected" link under How-Tos, then yes, I've read it.
    It's actually a little insulting to someone who is in IT like myself, but I can see where it would be helpful to someone who knows nothing about networking.
    In the name of being thorough, I read through it again. None of his tips apply to me.

To recap:
    - My home network has no security
    - I've tried multiple networks, both here and at other locations
    - all network hardware has been rebooted
    - the tablet has been cold booted and factory wiped, as 2 separate steps.

I'm willing to pursue trying to load a custom ROM, if you think that may help with the connection issues, but I'm doubtful.
    The tablet was working and connecting properly for months, and has only recently stopped being able to connect.
    I've tried bluetooth reverse tethering and USB tethering. Both connect to my desktop, but neither gives me an internet connection on the tablet.

Any other ideas?

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2825 times
    Well at the risk of insulting you again, I'd say that as you clearly know what you are doing, then I would suggest you...
    1) Factory Reset from settings & try again
    2) If no success, manually reflash the Asus firmware & try again

If the issue still persists, then the issue is likely to be a hardware fault on your memo (as a cheap 'built to a price' device, the MeMos are well known for not lasting long)

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times
    No no, you aren't insulting, it was the post about wifi connection issues that was kinda simplistic.

1) Will do. Edit- Done, no change. Still cannot connect.

2) What do you mean, 'manually reflash'? I copied the update file to the internal memory and booted. The system detected the update and installed.
    Not that it's updated, how can I get it to install again?
    Last edited by Elmojo; 07-18-2015 at 12:33 PM.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2825 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Elmojo View Post
    No no, you aren't insulting, it was the post about wifi connection issues that was kinda simplistic.

1) Will do. Edit- Done, no change. Still cannot connect.

2) What do you mean, 'manually reflash'? I copied the update file to the internal memory and booted. The system detected the update and installed.
    Not that it's updated, how can I get it to install again?
    A lot of our users are "ordinary folk" who aren't technical. Most of the work we do here involves them - especially back in the early Android days.

But again, if you check the Master Help Guide, you'll find we have two guides about manually re-flashing firmwares.

Although it sounds to me as if you have already done it. The Asus site should list the most up to date firmware for your device & allow you to download it. You shouldn't need to update further than that.

If you still get problems, then IMO you have a hardware gremlin that will be cost prohibitive to fix,

All the best

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times
    Yeah, I know what you mean. I swear sometimes I feel like I spend half the day channeling Roy Trenneman (Have you tried turning it off and on again?) lol
    I went back and read both of the flashing articles in the link, and it does appear that I've already done that. I'm currently on 4.2.1, so I think that's all that can be done on that front.
    Thanks for your help. I believe you're correct, that this tablet is just a lost cause.
    I found last night that if I basically sit on the router, it will connect. Sounds like a bad antenna maybe.
    Anyway, I'm gonna give up on this thing and start looking at a replacement.
    Thanks again.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Asus Taichi
    Liked
    1 times
    Following up on the WiFi connection problems... I too have been around the block a couple of times with this Asus ME301t. Worked for a little while, now unable to get it to connect to anything. Have done everything above except... I have not reflashed the ROM, yet. May give that a go. Be nice if this thing just worked as it does have a nice display plus, it is in my possession. But, this may just be a lemon.

Aside from reflashing this device, anyone have an idea of what to try? Other than just giving up on it?

Is it possible to root this device and place something else on it, for grins?

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links