Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad 10
    Liked
    1 times

Asus MeMO pad 10 Nightmare!

My MeMOPad 10, besides running verrrrrry slowly, does seem to have developed a few other problems:

It is often impossible to insert the cursor into a text field. (Tap on it 100+ times, the cursor still won't go in.)

The screen goes crazy at times... Image dissolves into a mass of flashing and jumping lines. Sometimes you can stop it by smacking the screen lightly a few times.

Click on a link and it usually takes you there, BUT once you get there, the page keeps reloading over and over and over. Very hard to read a page that keeps reloading.

Often instead of reloading, it takes you back to the Google page you were originally on. Or to your home page. Or to a different paragraph. ANYTHING but let you read whatever you're trying to read.

And I'm always getting these pop-ups: "The page has become unresponsive. Do you want to close it?"

Click on the "Home" icon to get away from a problem and it will take you there... in about 40-50 seconds.

More than half the time, the KEYBOARD will not show itself! How do I type into
    the search field without a keyboard? (Oh, if I wait 5 minutes or so, it will appear. Sometimes.)

Oh yes, and finally, most links I click on will REFUSE TO OPEN. Only rarely do they open at all... (and when they do, I get all the weirdness described above.)

My question: has any other MeMO Pad 10 owner experienced these problems? (And does anyone know a solution? Maybe an upgrade would help?)

Would appreciate hearing from anyone at this point. Even a troll or two.

Chief Customizer & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    You could have several problems and you will have to eliminate them one by one.
    Basically everything you have described could be software related. The screen flashing and jumping lines could be a hardware problem on top of it, but if you're lucky restoring the software resolves that too.

First backup everything you care about off the tablet.
    Then try a factory reset from Settings. That will wipe all user installed apps and settings off the tablet - in case it's something you installed over time.
    If that does not help - and I kinda doubt it since it looks as if your system is seriously messed up - you should reflash the Asus firmware.
    Follow Method A in this thread: http://www.transformerforums.com/for...101-tf201.html
    The MemoPad is sufficiently similar to the Transformers that the same method works.
    Method B from that thread is different for the MemoPad and I can't recall how right now - too late here to research. But since you can still boot, Method A should work just fine for flashing the firmware.
    Good luck

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    484 times
    Quote Originally Posted by droidbound View Post
    You could have several problems and you will have to eliminate them one by one.
    Basically everything you have described could be software related. The screen flashing and jumping lines could be a hardware problem on top of it, but if you're lucky restoring the software resolves that too.

First backup everything you care about off the tablet.
    Then try a factory reset from Settings. That will wipe all user installed apps and settings off the tablet - in case it's something you installed over time.
    If that does not help - and I kinda doubt it since it looks as if your system is seriously messed up - you should reflash the Asus firmware.
    Follow Method A in this thread: http://www.transformerforums.com/for...101-tf201.html
    The MemoPad is sufficiently similar to the Transformers that the same method works.
    Method B from that thread is different for the MemoPad and I can't recall how right now - too late here to research. But since you can still boot, Method A should work just fine for flashing the firmware.
    Good luck
    Method B is the same for the memo pad 10. Only the Intel powered tablets have different procedures.
    *I apologize for any spelng mistakes. I frequently answer questions on my phone. The content is (usually) good, but the words may not be intelligible. If you cant understand my post... check back later or call me out on it.
    Tf300 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!_________Clean Install Windows 10 and Drivers______Tf700 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!

Android Master Help Guide
    ______
    T100 Master Help Guide_____ T100 FAQ Thread

Devices: Asus TF300t [Deceased], Asus t100TA -64GB, Google Nexus 6P

Chief Customizer & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    Do you remember what to rename the file to? That's the part I can't remember...

Asus USA Social Media Team
    Member #
    Tablet
    Uncategorised
    Liked
    154 times
    Quote Originally Posted by HungryJoe222 View Post
    My MeMOPad 10, besides running verrrrrry slowly, does seem to have developed a few other problems:

It is often impossible to insert the cursor into a text field. (Tap on it 100+ times, the cursor still won't go in.)

The screen goes crazy at times... Image dissolves into a mass of flashing and jumping lines. Sometimes you can stop it by smacking the screen lightly a few times.

Click on a link and it usually takes you there, BUT once you get there, the page keeps reloading over and over and over. Very hard to read a page that keeps reloading.

Often instead of reloading, it takes you back to the Google page you were originally on. Or to your home page. Or to a different paragraph. ANYTHING but let you read whatever you're trying to read.

And I'm always getting these pop-ups: "The page has become unresponsive. Do you want to close it?"

Click on the "Home" icon to get away from a problem and it will take you there... in about 40-50 seconds.

the search field without a keyboard? (Oh, if I wait 5 minutes or so, it will appear. Sometimes.)

Oh yes, and finally, most links I click on will REFUSE TO OPEN. Only rarely do they open at all... (and when they do, I get all the weirdness described above.)

My question: has any other MeMO Pad 10 owner experienced these problems? (And does anyone know a solution? Maybe an upgrade would help?)

HungryJoe222 - We're very sorry you're experiencing these issues with your MeMo Pad 10. Have you tried any troubleshooting steps of your own? If it's possible, you may attempt to do a factory reset of the system in order to rule out any software related issues.

Step 1. Power off the tablet if it is currently powered on.
    Step 2. Once powered off, press/hold the Volume up and Power keys together.
    Step 3. Then release the power button when the ASUS logo is seen
    Step 4. Continue holding Volume Up key until the "Recovery screen" appears.
    Step 5. Use the Volume buttons to navigate the menu and select "Wipe data/Factory reset".
    Step6. Press Home button/Power button to choose the selection and press Volume up to continue.

If the issue persists after doing the provided steps please email us at socialsupportus@asus.com providing your MeMo Pad's serial number and a copy of you posted problem description and we'll do our best to further assist you in resolving this issue.

If you have any further questions, comments or concerns please do not hesitate to let us know. You may reference this case number (N150396315) on your next contact. We will be more than happy to assist you.

Thank you.

In Search of Incredible

Technical Support Department
    ASUS :: http://service.asus.com/
    Asus USA is a social support channel for North American purchasers. UK users requiring warranty support should contact their retailer. For other geographic locations, please check your product documentation or the Asus website for your locality and follow the support section instructions.

Transformer Forums is a privately owned "user to user" forum and is not affiliated with ASUSTeK Computer Inc in any way.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad 10
    Liked
    1 times
    First, I want to thank all of you for your helpful contributions, and for taking the time to write them out so carefully.

A factory reset *does* sound like a good idea, and I may try it -- but I'd like to wait a while and see if any other MeMO Pad owners have experienced similar problems, and what the solution was, if any.

To answer Asus_USA's question, I have tried using a "soft reset" by holding down the Power On button and choosing "Restart." This does sometimes help, although only temporarily. Also, as I mentioned, when the screen goes haywire and giving me a blitzkrieg of flashing lines, I find that lightly "slapping" the screen seems to stop it... altho sometimes it almost takes a good "spanking."

The problems I described are only the ones I could recall. There are others. For one, the tablet turns itself On every hour or so, then Off again after a couple minutes. Another is its tendency to add or subtract words when I am writing in a text field. Sometimes it even will happily delete everything I have just written, rapidly, one word at a time.

As to my own theories, I have wondered if somehow I may have contacted a virus or some form of malware. I'm not sure how likely this is with tablets, but there are some who seem to believe it. (I did install one that looked good called Hornet Antivirus, but so far it keeps telling me I am virus-free.)

Also I wonder if an "upgrade" may help. I've read reports from Asus that a new "version" for this model "should improve stability," whatever that may imply. I haven't tried this because I'm not sure how to go about it -- and also because I have a general mistrust of "upgrades." In my experience and that of others, they often turn out to be "downgrades." (Good grief, what a pessimist!)

At any rate, I believe for now I will wait and see if any other MeMO Pad owners report similar problems. And if they have no solutions, then I may just go ahead and try a factory reset... tho the thought of re-installing all of my favorite apps, even the ones I paid for, doesn't really appeal to me.

Thanks again for your ideas, they are very much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Asus_USA View Post
    HungryJoe222 - We're very sorry you're experiencing these issues with your MeMo Pad 10. Have you tried any troubleshooting steps of your own? If it's possible, you may attempt to do a factory reset of the system in order to rule out any software related issues.

Step 1. Power off the tablet if it is currently powered on.
    Step 2. Once powered off, press/hold the Volume up and Power keys together.
    Step 3. Then release the power button when the ASUS logo is seen
    Step 4. Continue holding Volume Up key until the "Recovery screen" appears.
    Step 5. Use the Volume buttons to navigate the menu and select "Wipe data/Factory reset".
    Step6. Press Home button/Power button to choose the selection and press Volume up to continue.

If the issue persists after doing the provided steps please email us at socialsupportus@asus.com providing your MeMo Pad's serial number and a copy of you posted problem description and we'll do our best to further assist you in resolving this issue.

If you have any further questions, comments or concerns please do not hesitate to let us know. You may reference this case number (N150396315) on your next contact. We will be more than happy to assist you.

Thank you.

In Search of Incredible

Technical Support Department
    ASUS :: ASUS Service | North America

Oops. . . hope I have selected the correct place to submit my Reply. It's a wee bit confusing.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    484 times
    Quote Originally Posted by droidbound View Post
    Do you remember what to rename the file to? That's the part I can't remember...
    Exact same thing as for tf300. He has the model that is a tf300 in a different shell. Anyways it sounds like a completely hardware based problem since movement and tapping produce responses. The behaviour is almost 100 percent not something an external virus could ever have control over. As much as security firms want you to believe that they are everywhere, malware can only enter your tablet through an authorized app installation from a source other than the play store (or Amazon app store)
    *I apologize for any spelng mistakes. I frequently answer questions on my phone. The content is (usually) good, but the words may not be intelligible. If you cant understand my post... check back later or call me out on it.
    Tf300 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!_________Clean Install Windows 10 and Drivers______Tf700 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!

Android Master Help Guide
    ______
    T100 Master Help Guide_____ T100 FAQ Thread

Devices: Asus TF300t [Deceased], Asus t100TA -64GB, Google Nexus 6P

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad 10
    Liked
    1 times
    ASUS MeMo pad 10 (ME102A) K00F Hardware Bug:
    Quote Originally Posted by HungryJoe222 View Post

(UPDATE: 10/30/2015... JUST FOUND SEVERAL OTHERS WITH SAME PROBLEM, on YouTube):

ASUS MeMo pad 10 (ME102A) K00F Hardware Bug:

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links