Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad 10
    Liked
    0 times

slow wi-fi

I downloaded Ookla speed test and only gets download speeds of 9-10mbps

My laptop, on the same wifi network, gets 29-30mpbs.

I'm wondering why that is? Shouldn't they both be similar?

When I'm watching steaming video on the tablet, it's pretty low resolution, and I was wondering why. I think because of the slow speed. I can watch the same streaming video on the laptop and it will be HD. (however the tablet is more portable for watching!)

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    94 times
    9 to 10 is plenty fast for high resolution . I have 2.2 DSL and get high resolution 720 p Netflix on TF300T .You wont get 1080p on your tab because the screen is limited , even though 9 to 10 is plenty fast for 1080p .

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2826 times
    You'll find that different devices record different speeds using the Ookla app. Part of the speed rating is down to how good the equipment is that is running it.

For example, on our home network we have 3 different Android devices & one Apple.
    The Apple device has the best hardware spec & gives the fastest reading of 37mbs (out of a stated wired maximum of 38mbs)
    Then the various Android devices give between 24mbs & 32mbs. All connected via the optimum channel and speed tested individually.

Your Memo is a very good tablet - but it is also an "entry level" tablet for a good OEM and so will not give perfect performance speed wise.

Another issue can be the wireless channel you are operating on. Generic advice is that channels 1, 6 or 11 seem best, however, the wifi analyser app will tell you which is the best channel to use in your situation.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - iOS
    Liked
    13 times
    how about speedtest.net?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad 10
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallydog View Post
    9 to 10 is plenty fast for high resolution . I have 2.2 DSL and get high resolution 720 p Netflix on TF300T .You wont get 1080p on your tab because the screen is limited , even though 9 to 10 is plenty fast for 1080p .
    I can watch movies on the tablet in HD that look fine. I can use the HDMI to my TV and it looks great. So the tablet can handle the HD.
    Watching streaming sports in HD does not look fine, so the 9-10 is not fast enough.

I guess the question is mainly, why is the download speed so slow? Is that the max the tablet can handle?

Quote Originally Posted by janner43 View Post
    Another issue can be the wireless channel you are operating on. Generic advice is that channels 1, 6 or 11 seem best, however, the wifi analyser app will tell you which is the best channel to use in your situation.
    Well since the laptop gets good speeds on the same wifi channel, I would think the channel is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by janner43 View Post
    Your Memo is a very good tablet - but it is also an "entry level" tablet for a good OEM and so will not give perfect performance speed wise.
    So basically you are saying the Memo 10 has low speed wi fi and 9-10 mbs is the best I can every expect and that is what everyone else is getting?

Thanks!

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2826 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tph88 View Post
    Well since the laptop gets good speeds on the same wifi channel, I would think the channel is fine.

So basically you are saying the Memo 10 has low speed wi fi and 9-10 mbs is the best I can every expect and that is what everyone else is getting?
    No that wasn't what I was trying to say . I'm sorry if that was how it came across.

I was trying to comment that if your speed is fine on your other wireless devices, then while you might reasonably expect the MeMo to be slower if it hasn't got as much raw power as other devices - maybe as low as only 2/3rds of the best speed you get, you should still reasonably expect faster than 1/3rd, which is what you seem to be getting.

That's why I suggested looking at other factors - maybe the wifi channel, because interference is a funny thing & can have unexpected results. I know, for example, that our wifi speeds drop by 10% in hot, humid thundery conditions - and I have always assumed that it is because of the higher pressure & increased electrical interference in the atmosphere. But that is only supposition on my part, of course. I'm no meteorologist or wireless guru.

It may well be that trial & error is the only way you'll find out what the cause of the slower speed is - but I would start with the router setup first I think, rather than suspect something wrong with your tablet.

Perhaps try WPA/WPA2 rather than WEP?
    See if the speed improves if you temporarily turn off the security?
    Turn off any DECT house phones or any other wireless devices that operate on the 2.4ghz band

In any case, I hope you get it resolved.

All the best
    Last edited by janner43; 10-06-2013 at 09:38 AM.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    94 times
    Another thing to consider is that the tablet may be getting a different feed from the source . The source may see the tablet as a mobile device and adjust the feed . I get a better feed from MLB with my computer than the Android app on my tf300t . Check your sources web sight and see the requirements for the HD , l would be surprised if 9 mbs was not enough . Even if using a browser on the tablet set for desktop mode sources still can see it as a mobile device . I use a Roku box now for MLB the feed is even better than the computer feed .
    Last edited by Wallydog; 10-05-2013 at 10:16 AM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad 10
    Liked
    0 times
    Well interesting, I thought I had posted a long detailed reply last night, but guess it didn't go through!

Anyway, checked a bunch of different channels, ran a bunch of tests. Not much change - on the tablet generally get only 5-7mbps with the occasional 9-10 mbps. Laptop usually gets around 28-30.
    Tried both 5ghz and 2.5ghz connections. Interesting thing here, 5ghz is lower signal strength. Tablet got generally 8-9 mpbs, while laptop got slower speeds.

So it seems to me the tablet will never get more than 10.

So still wondering if other people get faster speeds on thier tablet.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad Smart
    Liked
    0 times
    I've had this thing for 4 days finally got the connect issue fixed my changing the router to a static address for the tablet. I get 6mbs and less. It's going back if I can't get more speed. It takes forever just to load a page. Are any of the rooted rom things available that give me the ability to adjust the wifi settings?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad 10
    Liked
    0 times
    No idea what speeds other people are getting since no one answered that questions, just suggestions on how to check mine.
    I can watch Netflix just fine, but live sports is usually pretty bad quality.

I probably should have titled my question ' what is your wi fi connection speed '

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links