Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad Smart
    Liked
    1 times

Asus MeMo Pad ME301T reviews

I just got the Memo 10, so far I'm impressed for its price. I have used the Kindle Fire HD and Nexus 7 for a short amount of time also. I can tell you I much prefer Nexus devices with stock Android, but I wasn't willing to fork out for the cost of the Nexus 10. The Nexus 7 is nearly perfect in every way as a tablet for me, I love the pocketable size, stock Android and abundance of developments. But the reason the Memo10 won me over is because it doesn't use proprietary charging ports like the Transformers, has microHDMI port and microSD slot which the Nexus 7 don't, these are crucial features for me. I only wish this Memo 10 would be 7" instead with the same spec (their current Memo 7 only have a single core CPU).

Here is a short review I wrote for it:
    As of writing, I can not think of another device that come with all its feature at its price point:
    -Tegra3 quadcore CPU
    -standard microUSB charging port (not proprietary like the Transformer tablets)
    -dedicated microHDMI port (TV connectivity)
    -USB On-the-Go support out of the box (using a microUSB OTG adaptor you can connect things such as mouse, keyboard, flash drives and gamepads)
    -microSD card expansion
    -acceptable HD IPS screen
    -great WiFi and GPS performance
    -other little things like stereo speakers, front and back camera

Build: Two things I really like, first it have an even weight distribution and feel light for a 10" tablet. Secondly, it doesn't have heat issues. The tablet doesn't get hot at all, at most it might get warm, this can be a big deal in term of using the device comfortably for lengthy periods. It has a plastic body, but doesn't feel like it would fall apart. Though if you try to twist it or put pressure on the screen you can feel slight flexing. I definitely will get a case and screen protector for this. Just hoping the microUSB charging port would last since I feel it's not as firm as it could be, but this is just feeling about microUSB ports.

Performance: Sure the 1.2ghz quadcore Tegra3 CPU provided isn't latest spec anymore, but it still fast enough and can perform all activities with few stutters. You will be able to browse the web and watch 1080p videos smoothly. Gaming should be a good experience as well. I still think Asus can optimize their OS better, it is not as smooth comparing to full stock Android found in Nexus devices of course. You can expect the battery to last the whole day on a full charge.

Screen: Images and videos look great with decent viewing angle. For me the colors are just right, its not saturated so it won't be popping. If you are someone who is used to overly saturated colors this screen might look washed out to your eyes. Very small texts will not be smooth looking, its mainly due to the 1280x800 resolution on a large 10" screen. If you required sharp and clear texts and do a lot of reading, its better to buy a tablet with higher resolution. The screen is not protected by Gorilla glass so be careful with it and use screen protector. The touchscreen is extremely sensitive.

Speakers: It's nice they're stereo, they have a slight muffled or warm sound to it, but are decent and doesn't suffer from crackle even at high volumes. One particularly annoying thing is the sound from the speakers cause vibration to the back of the device (made of plastic) and can tickle your palm when you're holding the device. The remedy for this is simply to hold the device on its edges. Also, this device do not have a vibrating module.

Storage: You'll get a total of 11.7GB of actual storage space in addition to the a microSD slot. It doesn't take long to copy several gigabytes of data to the device and installing apps is fast. Running a benchmark program, I get a write speed of around 10-12MB/sec and a read speed up to 36MB/sec.

WiFi/GPS: I'm impressed with the WiFi signal and the download speed is fast. It appear to support both GPS and GLONASS and gets strong signal.

Cameras: They're average, you'll need good lightning to take good photos. It come with microphone as well, so you can do VoIP and video chats.

Important info about the digitizer (touchscreen): There might be a minor issues with inconsistent digitizer reading for this device, but its probably just the unit that I got. At times it doesn't detect 'tap-and-hold' and 'pinch-to-zoom' anymore. Also 'long gestures' can get choppy. For example, if I set a lockscreen pattern, sometimes it can be difficult to successfully draw out the full unlock pattern because the screen cannot connect your finger from point to point, it gets cut mid way and I get locked out of the device. These small issues pop up occasionally and spontaneously. I find that to help improve this issue, go to Settings -> Accessibility -> select 'Touch & hold delay' ​-> change the setting to either "Medium". This will help greatly, but it doesn't cure the problem completely.
    Here are some benchmarks, with Asus's stock 4.1.1 firmware and 'system performance' set to "Balanced":

And here are close ups of the onscreen texts, however understand once you zoom in or increase the font size its not as bad:

Just hoping there will be developers who will work on it soon, whether I will keep this device will solely base on that. Also if the digitizer problem gets worse or doesn't get fix by a software update, I will have to get a replacement.
    Last edited by someguy; 03-19-2013 at 09:38 AM.

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2826 times
    Welcome to the forum someguy

As we now have some new Asus MeMo sections I have moved your post into its own thread & hopefully others will add their reviews and/or links to other reviews they have found.

Thanks for posting & congratulations on being the very first member with an Asus MeMo Pad.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Transformer Forums Legend
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    Welcome to the forum. If that was a short review, I don't want to see the long one.

Good review.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad Smart
    Liked
    0 times
    Welcome to the forum. I had a digiter issue like your!

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad Smart
    Liked
    1 times
    I have the same digitizer problem and if you think it's a 'small' problem, then maybe you should try using a tablet that works properly.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad Smart
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by zagorin View Post
    Welcome to the forum. I had a digiter issue like your!
    Quote Originally Posted by tscott View Post
    I have the same digitizer problem and if you think it's a 'small' problem, then maybe you should try using a tablet that works properly.

Dear Both

I hv the same sensitivity issue and its really bugging me. Did you manage to fix it and if so how?

Thks in advance
    Janz

SAMSUNG i9300
    ASUS ME301T

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links