Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad Smart
    Liked
    1 times

Unable to Boot Into Recovery

Hi all

New to the forum after purchasing a Memo Smart 10 as a Christmas present to myself.

I have rooted the tab and Root Checker confirms the root is good.

I have installed Gravity Box and Xposed Installer and several modules that are all working.

My problem is that I get a notification that the binary needs to be updated. However, when I try to update by booting into recovery I get the "dead Android"

I'm able to reboot back into the ROM with no problem.

When I try to reboot into the bootloader I get this screen. Is that normal? I had to reboot just as I did when the boot to recovery failed.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    484 times
    Sounds like you don't have all the prerequisites for Xposed. You ha e room access but you do not have a CUSTOM recovery. Only the limited stock Asus one.

To install a stock recovery you will need to do a lot of research. You will also need to have a unlocked bootloader. What you are seeing now is perfectly normal.
    *I apologize for any spelng mistakes. I frequently answer questions on my phone. The content is (usually) good, but the words may not be intelligible. If you cant understand my post... check back later or call me out on it.
    Tf300 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!_________Clean Install Windows 10 and Drivers______Tf700 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!

Android Master Help Guide
    ______
    T100 Master Help Guide_____ T100 FAQ Thread

Devices: Asus TF300t [Deceased], Asus t100TA -64GB, Google Nexus 6P

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    500 times
    The bianary for what? Xposed? SuperSU? Either way, if you are already rooted there is no need to uodate the binary via the recovery. Just do it via the tablet/app. FYI superSU had some issues with updating the binary a while back so if that is what is updating ensure you have the latest version.
    droidbound likes this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad Smart
    Liked
    1 times
    I've uninstalled and reinstalled SuperSU. It still asks to update the binary, but fails when I try using the normal mode.

As for the recovery issue, how do I flash a custom recovery if I can't get into the stock recovery? I've found the instructions to unlock the bootloader
    Last edited by SteveinPA; 01-29-2015 at 07:09 PM.

Developer
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    50 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveinPA View Post

As for the recovery issue, how do I flash a custom recovery if I can't get into the stock recovery? I've found the instructions to unlock the bootloader
    No, you have to use "fastboot" to install the custom recovery. However, you have to unlock your bootloader first before trying to install the custom recovery.

Do you know if there is a custom recovery for your device? You need to check it first before proceeding further, good luck...

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    484 times
    @LetMeKnow. If the model that Steven has is the me301t, you can use the exact same recovery as the tf300. You can even install the same roms if you flash a compatibility package afterwards.

Steven. One thing to understand is that your recovery is working exactly as it should. It had very limited functionality. You need a custom recovery like TWRP to alter binaries.
    LetMeKnow likes this.
    *I apologize for any spelng mistakes. I frequently answer questions on my phone. The content is (usually) good, but the words may not be intelligible. If you cant understand my post... check back later or call me out on it.
    Tf300 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!_________Clean Install Windows 10 and Drivers______Tf700 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!

______

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad Smart
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by LetMeKnow View Post
    No, you have to use "fastboot" to install the custom recovery. However, you have to unlock your bootloader first before trying to install the custom recovery.

Do you know if there is a custom recovery for your device? You need to check it first before proceeding further, good luck...
    Quote Originally Posted by Gtanner00 View Post
    @LetMeKnow. If the model that Steven has is the me301t, you can use the exact same recovery as the tf300. You can even install the same roms if you flash a compatibility package afterwards.

Steven. One thing to understand is that your recovery is working exactly as it should. It had very limited functionality. You need a custom recovery like TWRP to alter binaries.
    Gents

Thanks for the info. I'm taking the tab with me to Europe tomorrow, so I'm not going to do anything to it until I get back.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad Smart
    Liked
    1 times
    Gents

Thanks for the info. I'm taking the tab with me to Europe tomorrow, so I'm not going to do anything to it until I get back.
    OK...now that I'm back home, I'm trying to figure out how to unlock the bootloader so that I can install a custom recovery. I've found about six different links to threads on this forum and XDA, but it just gets more and more confusing to me.

Can someone point me in one direction for instructions & downloads to unlock the bootloader and flash a custom recovery?

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    484 times
    OK...now that I'm back home, I'm trying to figure out how to unlock the bootloader so that I can install a custom recovery. I've found about six different links to threads on this forum and XDA, but it just gets more and more confusing to me.

Can someone point me in one direction for instructions & downloads to unlock the bootloader and flash a custom recovery?
    Maybe you have seen this already but the ME301t is extremely close to the tf300 in terms of ROM development so you are in luck that quite a few tf300 ROMs will work on your pad.

The first thing to start off with is unlocking the bootloader using the asus provided utility. Asus has one for the 301t on its support page. If you read the tf300 custom Rom guide linked in my signature it goes through the process of unlocking which is exactly the same.

After that you will want to get your adb and fastboot drivers set up and make sure they work correctly. (again follow the guide).

If you can get to the point stop right there and report back. My research tells me that you can use any recovery meant for the tf300 on your device so the one linked in the guide should work. Once you have a working recovery then there is a small subset of ROMs that will work perfectly out of the box on the 301 and a few others which need a compatibility pack flashed as well.

So to sum things up. Unlocking the bootloader should be pretty easy, then report back for your next instructions

______

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad Smart
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Gtanner00 View Post
    Maybe you have seen this already but the ME301t is extremely close to the tf300 in terms of ROM development so you are in luck that quite a few tf300 ROMs will work on your pad.

The first thing to start off with is unlocking the bootloader using the asus provided utility. Asus has one for the 301t on its support page. If you read the tf300 custom Rom guide linked in my signature it goes through the process of unlocking which is exactly the same.

After that you will want to get your adb and fastboot drivers set up and make sure they work correctly. (again follow the guide).

If you can get to the point stop right there and report back. My research tells me that you can use any recovery meant for the tf300 on your device so the one linked in the guide should work. Once you have a working recovery then there is a small subset of ROMs that will work perfectly out of the box on the 301 and a few others which need a compatibility pack flashed as well.

So to sum things up. Unlocking the bootloader should be pretty easy, then report back for your next instructions
    OK -- unlocking the bootloader and setting up the adb & fastboot drivers went smoothly. I downloaded the recovery from here and tried to install it, but got this error message.

I await your knowledge Obi Wan!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links