Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad 10
    Liked
    0 times

Question root without unlock

Hello, I am new to this and sorry if this was already discussed.
    I have a new memopad10.
    I understand the if I unlock the bootloader the warranty is void and there is no way back as asus is notified.
    can I root the device without the unlocking of the bootloader - if so what is the difference and how do I do that?
    how can you tell if it is rooted or have been unlocked?
    Is there a way to root the latest ROM or does the only way is to downgrade first?

Again sorry for the probably repeated questions but I want to be sure as I did not fully understood it from the many discussions on the topic

Thanks in advance

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    484 times
    Good questions Guymemo, it sounds like you have been doing some research into the rooting process and have the idea right about the process. There was a root tool developed for quite a few android devices (including the memopad) developed about 6 months ago, This method is called motochopper (originally created for motorola devices hense the name) This tool [JB ROOT] motochopper works! (Root JB 4.1.1 & 4.2.1 with locked bootloader!) - xda-developers simply requires you to plug in the tablet to your computer, making sure that file transfer between the two is working correctly, enable usb debugging from the developer options menu (in about tablet tap build number 7 times) and running the program on your computer with the tablet booted up normaly. This will enable root access for app downloaded from the play store (ie. Titanium backup)

What you mentioned is correct as well, about the exploit being patched in the latest firmware release (I am not on ASUS stock firmware but will get to that in a minute) Downgrading is very simple, find the correct file through ASUS support, unzip it once and reboot the tablet. A notification will pop up and you can install the "downgrade update" like any other. You will not lose any data if you are not switching android versions i.e. 4.21 to 4.12.

Once you do that, you can root using instructions above. This installs a program which has the ability to unroot as well so if you have a problem it can be resolved easily. Someone will have to help you with the re upgrading process while protecting root as I have never done this but believe you use an app called Voodoo/OTA rootkeeper.

Reflecting back, I am glad I went through the process of unlocking my bootloader and installing the Stock based Cromi X [ROM]★●[TF300T/G/L/201/301][CROMi-X 5.0.1][ODEX/DEODEX 10.6.1.27.1][SEP 1ST]●★ - xda-developers which although identicle in design is much improved over the existing firmware and recieves weekly updates from the developer (its also the only rom availible for the memo pad at the moment)

Unless you have something in mind already for once you obtain root there really isnt much you can do while on stock other than CPU tweaks (changing frequencies, governors etc.)

I hope this has helped you (Memo owners feel free to interject as I dont own one but am going by my knoledge from this forums and my own experience with my tf300)
    *I apologize for any spelng mistakes. I frequently answer questions on my phone. The content is (usually) good, but the words may not be intelligible. If you cant understand my post... check back later or call me out on it.
    Tf300 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!_________Clean Install Windows 10 and Drivers______Tf700 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!

Android Master Help Guide
    ______
    T100 Master Help Guide_____ T100 FAQ Thread

Devices: Asus TF300t [Deceased], Asus t100TA -64GB, Google Nexus 6P

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad 10
    Liked
    0 times

Question Thanks a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Gtanner00 View Post
    Good questions Guymemo, it sounds like you have been doing some research into the rooting process and have the idea right about the process. There was a root tool developed for quite a few android devices (including the memopad) developed about 6 months ago, This method is called motochopper (originally created for motorola devices hense the name) This tool [JB ROOT] motochopper works! (Root JB 4.1.1 & 4.2.1 with locked bootloader!) - xda-developers simply requires you to plug in the tablet to your computer, making sure that file transfer between the two is working correctly, enable usb debugging from the developer options menu (in about tablet tap build number 7 times) and running the program on your computer with the tablet booted up normaly. This will enable root access for app downloaded from the play store (ie. Titanium backup)

What you mentioned is correct as well, about the exploit being patched in the latest firmware release (I am not on ASUS stock firmware but will get to that in a minute) Downgrading is very simple, find the correct file through ASUS support, unzip it once and reboot the tablet. A notification will pop up and you can install the "downgrade update" like any other. You will not lose any data if you are not switching android versions i.e. 4.21 to 4.12.

Once you do that, you can root using instructions above. This installs a program which has the ability to unroot as well so if you have a problem it can be resolved easily. Someone will have to help you with the re upgrading process while protecting root as I have never done this but believe you use an app called Voodoo/OTA rootkeeper.

Reflecting back, I am glad I went through the process of unlocking my bootloader and installing the Stock based Cromi X [ROM]★●[TF300T/G/L/201/301][CROMi-X 5.0.1][ODEX/DEODEX 10.6.1.27.1][SEP 1ST]●★ - xda-developers which although identicle in design is much improved over the existing firmware and recieves weekly updates from the developer (its also the only rom availible for the memo pad at the moment)

Unless you have something in mind already for once you obtain root there really isnt much you can do while on stock other than CPU tweaks (changing frequencies, governors etc.)

I hope this has helped you (Memo owners feel free to interject as I dont own one but am going by my knoledge from this forums and my own experience with my tf300)
    Thanks,
    another question:
    does the tablet has a recovery mode as in android phones? how can I backup/restore a full image of the tablet (if not through tablet recovery is there a way through connecting to PC?)
    in order to have CWM do I have to unlock the bootloader or does root is enough?

one more thing: if I root and then want to unroot I understand that all I need to do is reflash the original ROM from ASUS but how to I also remove leftover from the utility I used to save the root in the first time ( I assume it saved something on a partition the flashing procedure do not destroy)?
    Last edited by guymemo; 09-06-2013 at 11:25 PM.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    484 times
    First of all never install CWM on any new Asus devices. There is a good chance it won't worrecoveryt messy. Always use twrp recovery I stead which is quite a bit more functional then cwm anyway.

The tablet does have a recovery mode in the bootloader which you would have accessed before if you have done a cold boot (holding power and volume. When booting) it is referred to in all guides as the stock recovery which allows three things, cold boot, wipe (never try this of you have an unlocked bootloader ) and recovery mode which installs specific files signed by Asus if they are located on a ,oicro SD card.. Essentially what you are trying to do is replace that stock recovery with twrp which allows for formating of all partitions (except its own of course) backups of Roms, restores etc.

Right now I am referring to a process that works regardless of what firmware you are on and is independent of motochopper if you are now interested in the ROM I suggest you visit [ROM]★●[TF300T/G/L/201/301][CROMi-X 5.0.1][ODEX/DEODEX 10.6.1.27.1][SEP 1ST]●★ - xda-developers and know that even though this is meant for the tf300 know that the process works as long as you are on the latest or second latest firmware (and unlocked bootloader) to revert back (why would you ever want to do that) I believe you flash an Asus firmware file (unzipped once) in twrp and everything will return to stock except you lose your apps (not your media if you only format data in twrp)

If you are wondering aboabout motochopper, there is no separate root partition it isis stored within the SuperSU aapp which is installed in the process. To unroot simply use the app settings then uninstall ythe app altogether.

It is important to note that rooting is not needed to install am custom ROM (those are prerooted) or flash twrp so it would only be nesasary if you wanted to make app backups in titanium backup rather than use the Asus backup (you can install it in the cromi x setup screen)
    *I apologize for any spelng mistakes. I frequently answer questions on my phone. The content is (usually) good, but the words may not be intelligible. If you cant understand my post... check back later or call me out on it.
    Tf300 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!_________Clean Install Windows 10 and Drivers______Tf700 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!

Android Master Help Guide
    ______
    T100 Master Help Guide_____ T100 FAQ Thread

Devices: Asus TF300t [Deceased], Asus t100TA -64GB, Google Nexus 6P

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad Smart
    Liked
    0 times
    I have the MeMo Pad Smart 10 (Model ME301T) and have tried several ways to root it. My tablet has Jellybean 4.2.1. Motochopper did not work, nor did SuperOneClick or UnLockRoot.

I have the windows drivers [I have Windows 8] set up on my computer (tablet shows up as the ME301T) and I do have USB Debugging on, along with allow installation of unknown non-market apps.

What I really want to do is gain root access to my tablet through ADB so that I can remove some of the Asus apps that I know I will never use. Is there a way to gain root access (without actually rooting the tablet) using ADB?

Several ADB commands won't run without being rooted, but the commands are needed to root the tablet---it's a catch 22!

Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Gtanner00 View Post

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jerryferreira View Post
    I have the MeMo Pad Smart 10 (Model ME301T) and have tried several ways to root it. My tablet has Jellybean 4.2.1. Motochopper did not work, nor did SuperOneClick or UnLockRoot.

I have the windows drivers [I have Windows 8] set up on my computer (tablet shows up as the ME301T) and I do have USB Debugging on, along with allow installation of unknown non-market apps.

What I really want to do is gain root access to my tablet through ADB so that I can remove some of the Asus apps that I know I will never use. Is there a way to gain root access (without actually rooting the tablet) using ADB?

Several ADB commands won't run without being rooted, but the commands are needed to root the tablet---it's a catch 22!

Jerry
    If you simply want to "remove" stock apps you don't plan on using, just go to Settings - Apps - App - <App Name> - Disable (may have to choose Uninstall Updates first.

Keep in mind, any apps included in the firmware are installed on the /system/ partition. This partition is about 500 MB. Uninstalling these stock apps will not free up any space on the /data/ partition where the internal storage is. /sdcard/ directory is actually the /data/media/ partition.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad Smart
    Liked
    0 times
    Frederuco,

Thanks for replying. Most apps will let me disable. A few will not.

Also, thanks for clarifying the /system and /sdcard for me. I'm a DOS and Windows guy, so this Android and Linux OS is new to me---especially the mounting concept.

Am I right in thinking that if I wanted to reclaim some of the /system 500 MB, I would need to repartition?
    Quote Originally Posted by Frederuco View Post
    If you simply want to "remove" stock apps you don't plan on using, just go to Settings - Apps - App - <App Name> - Disable (may have to choose Uninstall Updates first.

Keep in mind, any apps included in the firmware are installed on the /system/ partition. This partition is about 500 MB. Uninstalling these stock apps will not free up any space on the /data/ partition where the internal storage is. /sdcard/ directory is actually the /data/media/ partition.

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    Frederuco,

Thanks for replying. Most apps will let me disable. A few will not.

Also, thanks for clarifying the /system and /sdcard for me. I'm a DOS and Windows guy, so this Android and Linux OS is new to me---especially the mounting concept.

Am I right in thinking that if I wanted to reclaim some of the /system 500 MB, I would need to repartition?
    Yup, and that requires root access unlocked bootloader. Honestly, I would not recommend it.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100HA
    Liked
    11 times

Jerry
    Hi,

It's probably nothing , but I have to ask you anyway about your tablet and not being able to root it. You write that you have 4.2.1 but what is the build number/version? (Settings -> about tablet -> build)

/gosa

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad Smart
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi friends, can you help me to root my Asus ME301T with Android 4.2.1, I proved with motochopper and Framaroot but no results.
    PD: I don`t want to lose warranty.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links