Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Connecting the tablet to a computer...

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad Smart
    Liked
    4 times

Connecting the tablet to a computer...

Hi guys,

I kind of ran into a problem with my tablet, and right now I'm not surewhat else I can try to get this one resolved...

Ever since I got my tablet a month ago I've been researching into the wonderful art of rooting & flashing this baby. It's not like I haven't unlocked, flashed & rooted before, but I like to take my time and let stuff "mature" before going ahead. Parallell with this "processing of mine I've felt that CROMI-X is getting more and more interesting for me.

So - a couple of days ago I decided to take the leap. I downloaded all the files I might need and started off with unlocking my bootloader. Next step was to connect my tablet to my computer and push a new recovery image over, and that's where I got stuck.

- I can not seem to get any computer to pick up on the fact that I've connected the tablet. No "unknown devices, searching for drivers", no "new hardware installed". nothing.

What I've tried so far is 4 computers: two with Win 7, one with Win XP and one with Linux Mint (I believe it's Linux Mint 13). I've tried 4 different cables, I've tried it with the SDK installed and I tried it on computers without the toolkit installed. USB debugging is - of course - on. I've even tried a factory reset (didn't really believe in that one myself, but I felt I had to try anyway). Trying to send a "adb devices -l" returns nothing (of course).

I also tried to installed the USB-drivers from ASUS, but that one turns out to be a bit tricky since a driver install in Windows usually is done when new hardware is detected (and that's where I fail).

So - is there anything else I can try? Is there any other way of pushing an alternative recovery to the Tablet without using usb? (like put it on the sd-card and flash from there?) Can I at least root it some way?

I realize that I should probably have tried connecting the tablet before unlocking the bootloader, but since I haven't had any problems with it until now (otg works, charging works etc.) the thought never crossed my mind, and now with the bootloader unlocked I won't really be able to ask ASUS for help, right?

- Am I stuck? For real?

Fair enough - I like my tablet a lot, and I'll continue liking it even if I can't get it unlocked, but it would be a nice addition to at least get it rooted. (CROMi-X is the ultimate goal, but still...)

Inputs are welcome - Thanks in advance,
    /gosa

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Android 4.X
    Liked
    2256 times
    Moved to development

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Android device personal pantheon...
    SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Razr; CnM Touchpad II; Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Motorola Xoom 2 ME; Samsung Tab 2 7.0

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    2667 times
    I am not all that familiar with this tablet, but I assume that you are trying to push recovery using FastBoot. When you go to FastBoot and plug your USB cable into your PC, does your PC play the new hardware tone? It should, but if it does not then there is no hope of it working. If you are trying to do it via ADB, did you enable USB Debugging in the Developer settings? You will probably have to go to the Settings - About and tap your build number rapidly to enable Developer settings if you have JellyBean 4.2

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad Smart
    Liked
    4 times
    Hi Frederuco,

Thanks for taking the time to reply...

I've tried both fastboot and adb - no lifesigns whatsoever in the computer I've got it connected to.

I think - with emphasis on think - I tried it all short of intending to re-flash the full firmware from ASUS again. (Don't even know if it's possible to reflash same version - have to read a bit about that one).
    But still - I'm not sure that it will really solve anything.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad Smart
    Liked
    0 times
    I had the same problem with this on my previous Motherboard, it has a add on USB 3.0 Chip for front panel USB connector. Plug it to one of those USB 2.0 connect at the back of it worked for me.

FYI :
    I am on the CROMi-Xenogenesis - Hunds 10.6.1.8.4 Modded Kernel v11 - Overclocked, UV, Multi Scheduler, Fsync Control, Tweak App by Hundsbuah. The tablet is not even recognized by my PC, but charging works. Flash back to stock Kernel resolves the problem. There is a few people also had the problem.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad Smart
    Liked
    4 times
    Ineresting twist ("update")....

This is what I got back from Asus Iberia when asking them what I would have to do (or rather - what it would cost me):

Dear Costumer,

Is normal that you can't connect your Memo Pad with a PC, no matters the operating system, the cable or if you have install Asus sync or not; because is a limitation of the hardware on this model.

So if you want to share your files you would need to use a program like asus web storage or drop box.

You can download Asus web storage from the following link:
    https://www.asuswebstorage.com/navigate/

------------------------------------
    Gracias por su contacto con ASUS Ibérica.

What? So how did the rest of you do to get your tablet rooted? Everybody is talking about fastboot, adb etc. etc. and this woman says it's not even possible to connect it?
    To be honest I'm not sure what I'm going to answer her, but I have to come up with something...

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad Smart
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi all,

I had the same problem: charging, otg... works properly
    I had tried all you can imagine but the connection with PC was imposible.
    Finally I write to Amazon, explain the problem and they changed me the tablet for a new one.
    The new one works correctly, of course THE TABLET IS ABLE TO CONNECT WITH A PC. The reply of Asus Iberia is amazing!

My first tablet was rooted, and Amazon didn't say me nothing about the warranty.
    I rooted the second one again, now all works fine.

I think the problem is not on settings or firmwares. I think your tablet, like mine, are phisically damaged (internally).

Where you buy your tablet?

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad Smart
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by teruyume View Post
    I had the same problem with this on my previous Motherboard, it has a add on USB 3.0 Chip for front panel USB connector. Plug it to one of those USB 2.0 connect at the back of it worked for me.

FYI :
    I am on the CROMi-Xenogenesis - Hunds 10.6.1.8.4 Modded Kernel v11 - Overclocked, UV, Multi Scheduler, Fsync Control, Tweak App by Hundsbuah. The tablet is not even recognized by my PC, but charging works. Flash back to stock Kernel resolves the problem. There is a few people also had the problem.
    Hi teruyume,

Thanks for replying. The thing is that I've tried this with several different computers and a number of different ports. Not that it matters but one of those motherboards being from Asus - Ha! (that "Ha!" being directed at ASUS) I've tried it with a Acer Netbook, an old Compaq as well as my work computer (some weird brand I don't recognize). It just doesn't work.

I've also looked at other solutions for acheiving root but none of them seem to want to "help" me...

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad Smart
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by aguiz View Post
    Hi all,

I had the same problem: charging, otg... works properly
    I had tried all you can imagine but the connection with PC was imposible.
    Finally I write to Amazon, explain the problem and they changed me the tablet for a new one.
    The new one works correctly, of course THE TABLET IS ABLE TO CONNECT WITH A PC. The reply of Asus Iberia is amazing!

My first tablet was rooted, and Amazon didn't say me nothing about the warranty.
    I rooted the second one again, now all works fine.

I think the problem is not on settings or firmwares. I think your tablet, like mine, are phisically damaged (internally).

Where you buy your tablet?
    I bought it from Amazon Spain. My problem though is that While ASUS are ok with Rooting (like with yours) they do not like when you unlock the bootloader (they clearly say so) and I decided to be lazy and skip the rooting part of the process (as I understand it you can just unlock bootloader, flash recovery and the nCROMi-X that is already pre-rooted).

Looking at it all know I would have discovered this problem before even rooting my tablet if I hadn't taken the lazy route...

- A follow-up question to you:

You mentioned having sent your tablet to service while it was rooted. How did you manage to root without being able to connect to a computer? Or did that "error" occur after?
    I'd love to have a way of rooting from "within" my tablet - that would be a great step forward...

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad Smart
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gosa View Post
    I bought it from Amazon Spain. My problem though is that While ASUS are ok with Rooting (like with yours) they do not like when you unlock the bootloader (they clearly say so) and I decided to be lazy and skip the rooting part of the process (as I understand it you can just unlock bootloader, flash recovery and the nCROMi-X that is already pre-rooted).

Looking at it all know I would have discovered this problem before even rooting my tablet if I hadn't taken the lazy route...

- A follow-up question to you:

You mentioned having sent your tablet to service while it was rooted. How did you manage to root without being able to connect to a computer? Or did that "error" occur after?
    I'd love to have a way of rooting from "within" my tablet - that would be a great step forward...
    Yes, that error appeared some days after I root the tablet.
    You are right, I didn't unlock the bootloader, I did only root.
    I'm from Spain, but I bought the tablet in Amazon UK.

Sorry I don't know any way to root the tablet without connecting with PC via USB.
    If I see something that can help you I tell you.

Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ads