Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad Smart
    Liked
    0 times

Memo Pad Root Fail

Hello All,

New to the site. Came here hoping I could get some help with my Memo Pad 10. I know its a relatively new and unknown device amongst devs but unfortunately I'm an android noob and I need help. I got a brand new Memo pad 10 and decided to root the tablet with Motochopper (Exploit that does not unlock bootloader- or i don't think it does atleast) Anyways, this being my first rooted device, I downloaded a bunch of root apps (i.e- titanium back up, super user, etc.) and the dreaded LCD density app. I changed my screen DPI with this app and it asked me to restart and it now it's stuck on Asus splash screen.

I've tried cold booting, wiping the data, calling ASUS support, they've asked me to send it in for servicing, but its rooted :s), and trying a few how-to's but to no avail. I know that I need to get a custom recovery like CWM so that I can flash the firmware (4.2.2) but I'm not sure how to do this with my bootloader locked. I also keep getting the android error message every time i cold boot with RCK (don't know what this means)

Is there anyone who can help me, are there any how-to's that I can follow or is my tablet doomed to be a paperweight?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad Smart
    Liked
    0 times
    have you turned USB debugging on, while your tablet was still usable ?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad Smart
    Liked
    0 times
    i remember turning it on, but i'm not sure if it's on right now. Should I see a USB sign after cold booting if it is on?

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    392 times
    have you tried selecting wipe data instead of RCK while cold booting? (RCK is the stock recovery...)
    TF101! - Running Domination built on my beautiful ArchLinux box!
    Samsung Galaxy S4 - Stock Sadly...
    Custom Built Desktop - Intel I7 w/ Windows7 & ArchLinux Dual boot - Go LINUX!
    I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious. - Vince Lombardi

Great Help Guide Here -> Frederucos Fantastical Forum Favorites
    And Here -> Master Help Guide

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad Smart
    Liked
    0 times
    what i was hoping for was ability to intaract through ADB while 'stuck' on ASUS logo.

but now i realised that it is irrelevant, since you did full data wipe, which also wiped your ADB settings, and by default USB debugging is turned off.

Generally you are in a bit difficult situation. You could try calling ASUS asking them if it is possible to flash system image without a bootable OS. You also could try (if you havent already) using a clip to push the 'reset' button located somewhere on the tablet. it is a little hole, and some folks here on forums claimed that it is a button rather than a microphone :P My last idea would be to try with fastboot mode, and manually overwrite build.prop file to a unmodified one. The app you used to change DPI should create a backup on your internal storage, if not you could try extracting it from ASUS system images or get one from some rooted ME301T user. However im not sure if you can use fastboot with locked bootloader.

And i would suggest posting a thread in TF300T Q&A's section on xda-developers, you will probably get more dev help there.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad Smart
    Liked
    0 times
    Thank you for your responses. Do root apps get deleted when the device is rooted. Also, Can Asus tell that my device is rooted if the bootloader is still locked and the data is wiped?

thanks

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    392 times
    No apps will get deleted unless you delete them yourself. Asus will not be able to tell either, if you unlock your bootloader it will send your serial number to them to let them know that you have unlocked the device, but rooting will not do so.
    TF101! - Running Domination built on my beautiful ArchLinux box!
    Samsung Galaxy S4 - Stock Sadly...
    Custom Built Desktop - Intel I7 w/ Windows7 & ArchLinux Dual boot - Go LINUX!
    I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious. - Vince Lombardi

Great Help Guide Here -> Frederucos Fantastical Forum Favorites
    And Here -> Master Help Guide

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad Smart
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by hspulp View Post
    Do root apps get deleted when the device is rooted. Also, Can Asus tell that my device is rooted if the bootloader is still locked and the data is wiped?
    1. What do you mean with root apps gettin deleted when device is rooted ? did you mean data wipe ? Well if you wipe /data it deletes all your apps, the ones that required root aswell, but the superuser app itself and superuser binary (which is essentialy what gives you root access) stay on /system partition, untouched.

2. so yes, if you send it back and they will try to boot it up(and will boot up succesfully), rather than re-flashing it right from the start, they will find rooting evidence.

3. as for what BFMETCALF wrote about your serial number getting send when you unlock bootloader, it is only the case if you used 'official' ASUS bootloader unlocker. (and i dont know what is the method for bootloader unlocking on MEMO, official or not)

And lastly. if you are really out of options (tried xda?) and are hesitating with sending your tablet for warranty purposes here is the deal:

if your bootloader is locked (and your serial didnt get sent to ASUS) it is possible that ASUS will simply start fixing your tablet by reflashing the system altogether (since it doesnt even boot up). which would hide any rooting evidence and fix your tablet. So you could be just fine. However i dont know how exactly do they fix stuff.

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2826 times
    Thread moved to development.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links