Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By janner43
  • 1 Post By Frederuco

Thread: Rooting & ROMing on the Asus MeMo Smart - yes, no, maybe, how, where and why.

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2826 times

Rooting & ROMing on the Asus MeMo Smart - yes, no, maybe, how, where and why.

Sometimes it can be tricky to find information on a subject like this that is reliable. Well, the Asus range of tablets has now been around long enough for a good, reliable body of opinion to be available for you to consider.

If you are new to android & have a shiny, new MeMo then you *may* be considering "rooting". Or you may be asking "what is rooting?" That last question is straightforward. Rooting simply means getting full administrative access to all the files, folders & content of an android device thereby gaining total control of your device. But, do you need to? Do you have to? Or are you better off "leaving well alone"

This thread will try to answer these sort of questions...

Firstly, let me quote a senior member of the forum moderating team & provide a link to a thread which you really must read if you are interested in this subject...

Quote Originally Posted by leeshor View Post
    There have been quite a few posts recently from member who have rooted their Transformers. The vast majority of those posts were because they had a problem related to rooting. Many of those problems were just that, problems.

Some of those who rooted found they couldn't get firmware updates. This may indicate that not enough research was done before rooting their device, mostly due to issues with later hardware versions of their Transformers.

It seems that some people feel that rooting is a must. Consider these points:

1. Ask yourself if there really is a good reason to root. Is there a must have app that won't install without a root?

2. Many have, in the past, determined they needed to root in order to backup, (Titanium Backup). I feel that ASUS wisely included an app that took care of that in order to reduce the possibility of rooting related problems.

3. Consider that the FW updates from ASUS have added value (AppBackup, SuperNote for example) that may reduce the need to root. I'm not even addressing custom ROMs. These value added apps and tweaks may have negated the original reason for the root so patience may pay off.

4. Consider new OS updates (nuff said)

5. Rooting has become a big part of the developers discussions but many of the posts are about a root that went wrong or messed with an update. I do feel for people who in some cases, at least temporarily, bricked their Transformers but keep that in mind

I'm not recommending for or against rooting here but you should really consider why you want to root, have a good reason, and do your due diligence research before jumping into a potential quick sand pit.

WHY? should be the first thing you ask.
    That is the opening post in the excellent thread found here... http://www.transformerforums.com/for...maybe-why.html

Another reason why folks want to root is to use custom ROMs. Some users are never happier than when they have a custom ROM - especially if it is overclocked & they have a great time tweaking & experimenting & generally enjoying a harmless hobby. Good for them

Should *you* do this too? Well, that choice is down to you, but if you do, remember that you have at least the potential to "brick", ie effectively ruin, your new device. So be sure you know what you are doing first You might also want to consider the thoughts in this thread which I started prior to becoming a moderator on this forum. You don't have to agree with the thoughts, but I feel they are valid & worthy of consideration http://www.transformerforums.com/for...stom-roms.html

Over to you... It is your contributions to this thread that will make it an invaluable resource for other users.
    leeshor and Swipe like this.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad Smart
    Liked
    1 times
    I rooted my Panasonic cam, my navigation device and my Kindle keyboard - but honestly - so far - I see no reason why I should do it with my Memo Pad.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad Smart
    Liked
    4 times
    I want root simply for backup purposes and to get rid of ads troughout Android.
    If...a custom ROM, i.e. Cyanogenmod, would appear for these tabs, I would definitely try that out too :-)

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgele View Post
    I want root simply for backup purposes and to get rid of ads troughout Android.
    If...a custom ROM, i.e. Cyanogenmod, would appear for these tabs, I would definitely try that out too :-)
    I believe it comes with the AppBackup from Asus or you can use My Backup Pro to backup without root. Also you can do a full system backup via ADB since ICS.

As far as removing ads, there are ad blockers that work without root but they are not in the Play Store as of about a week ago. Google no longer allows them.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad Smart
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Frederuco View Post
    I believe it comes with the AppBackup from Asus or you can use My Backup Pro to backup without root. Also you can do a full system backup via ADB since ICS.

As far as removing ads, there are ad blockers that work without root but they are not in the Play Store as of about a week ago. Google no longer allows them.
    AppBackup doesn't do what i.e. Titanium Backup can do, I think you know where I'm getting at.
    I like the Memo as it is now, but I am sure that in a couple of months, I feel that urge to play around with it and see what else it can do.

As for AdBlockers, Google might not allow them, that doesn't mean applications are not available. AdblockPlus for Android is blocking ads, but also half of the application functionality like Chrome/FireFox.

If this forum is not for those who are looking to tweak, root and play.. please let me know and I won't ask about it again

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgele View Post
    AppBackup doesn't do what i.e. Titanium Backup can do, I think you know where I'm getting at.
    I like the Memo as it is now, but I am sure that in a couple of months, I feel that urge to play around with it and see what else it can do.

As for AdBlockers, Google might not allow them, that doesn't mean applications are not available. AdblockPlus for Android is blocking ads, but also half of the application functionality like Chrome/FireFox.

If this forum is not for those who are looking to tweak, root and play.. please let me know and I won't ask about it again
    It is for those liking to tweak root and play. I have a rooted tab and I do understand where you are coming from.

I am sure the development section will grow on e more of these are in the wild.
    Sgele likes this.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad Smart
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi im new,but,would like to answer a question for the author of this thread.
    Rooting is not only for backup purposes,it is also used for app sensitivity,meaning permissions.when install apps,there are some permissions that i find unethical to the app i am installing.using apps like permissions denied or dx toolbox to deny the permission and use just te app requires root.safety on my end is a vital key.
    Another use for rooting,to me,is some overclocking,theming,and certain other little apps that i enjoy require rooting.for me,rooting makes sense for android.thanks

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2826 times
    Quote Originally Posted by podagee View Post
    Hi im new,but,would like to answer a question for the author of this thread.
    Rooting is not only for backup purposes,it is also used for app sensitivity,meaning permissions.when install apps,there are some permissions that i find unethical to the app i am installing.using apps like permissions denied or dx toolbox to deny the permission and use just te app requires root.safety on my end is a vital key.
    Another use for rooting,to me,is some overclocking,theming,and certain other little apps that i enjoy require rooting.for me,rooting makes sense for android.thanks
    Welcome to the forum

Thanks for the post - I understand what rooting is for - but I appreciate you taking to time to add your views.

Enjoy your new device & the forum

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad Smart
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi,
    can you tell me if rooting the memo Me301t without putting an alternative rom, voids the warranty ?
    thanks

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2826 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jean019 View Post
    Hi,
    can you tell me if rooting the memo Me301t without putting an alternative rom, voids the warranty ?
    thanks
    Welcome to the forum

Sounds like a simple question, doesn't it Trouble is, the answer is anything but

As I understand it - and it isn't something I want to debate with anyone who disagrees...

* If you root your device you technically breach your warranty if the problem you experience when making a warranty claim could have been caused by rooting - perhaps an owner decides to delete all the system files or does it accidentally and then cannot use the standard reset techniques to recover the device (something that cannot happen if the device isn't rooted). That is user induced damage & wouldn't be covered under warranty.

* If you "overclock" your CPU & cause a problem, that would be user induced damage, & not covered (something that cannot happen if the device isn't rooted)

* If say a microSD card slot stops working because it has a manufacturing defect, then that technically should still be covered

* The problem is, that any "less than helpful" customer service rep who discovers a root may decide that they will deny warranty coverage because of it

* If you can root the device, you should also be able to unroot the device prior to any return under warranty - as long as you can gain access to the device first, of course.

So, in a nutshell - does rooting invalidate your warranty? Probably, yes, but maybe not always.

I hope that helps & is reasonable logic.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links