Thread: Me572c gps?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad HD 7
    Liked
    0 times

Me572c gps?

Hello, new here and looking for people with ASUS tablet wisdom...

I just bought a lovely MeMO Pad ME572C on sale at Best Buy, it is really nice in every way EXCEPT that I seem not to be getting any connection at all with my GPS. My previous tablet was pretty humble but it got GPS connections. Anyone else having issues with their GPS? I found a few comments online about this particular GPS being weak and/or slow but no magic solutions other than using a GPS Status app to reset and test it - the app appears to be in Dutch but I suppose I can figure it out if all those other people did.

Anything I should do/try? Someone said you have to get a connection and get the 'almanac' downloaded to your system before GPS will work, so do I need to go stand out in a field for awhile? lol Thanks for any input.

Transformer Forums Legend
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    Welcome to the forum

Try installing this app https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...tcross.gpstest then go outside in an unobstructed area and see what it says. I have had good results with that app.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad HD 7
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by leeshor View Post
    Welcome to the forum

Try installing this app https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...tcross.gpstest then go outside in an unobstructed area and see what it says. I have had good results with that app.
    Thanks. It seems that the various comments I found online, about the device needing to download a GPS database the first time you turn it on, must have been correct, as it's been fine since the first time I used it at home connected to my wifi. I tried that app and a couple of other GPS test apps, and they all locked onto towers once I was at home with the wifi on for a bit.

This is a lovely device, I'm liking it a lot.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    I'm glad you feel it;s working but WiFi is in no way necessary for GPS to work unless you are actively downloading maps. There are a few free off-line GPS apps available and once the map is downloaded over WiFi - WiFi in no longer needed.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    MeMO Pad HD 7
    Liked
    0 times
    I think it needed to download the map, and the first time I turned on the GPS I was away from wifi so it had no idea where it was...at least, that's how I understand what I read and what seems to have actually happened.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    If you are using the Google MAP app that is not intended for off-line use except for planning a route, which can be saved.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links